Forget Firewire Mixers... I need a new FW interface with...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Postby derma_tek » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:51 pm

i use a MOTU 828mk2 which is basically the full 19" rack version of the ultra lite. i use it will a g4 mac and logic 7.2 , everythings works great seemlessly, no problems since i've had the MOTU.

as far as pre-amps go, it depends on what you want out of a pre-amp, the motu pre's are very clear and transparent, and have very little noise, which is basically what you will get out of most high end interfaces. they sound great :)

but if you want a pre-amp with a lot of color, or more of a vintage sound,you'll have to go with an outboard pre,which i like both in different cases.

hope this helps a little
derma_tek

Band: Derma-Tek

Postby daishan1981 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:07 pm

Seriously, the Focusrite Saffire Pro seems to be in your price range... wouldn't that be a good option? 8 Focusrite preamps, there's worse gear to be had for the money.

EDIT:
Actually, never mind, I just checked the info on that Metric Halo one, that's rather more high end than the Focusrite. Didn't expect that, it's not a very familiar brand to me. So yeah, listen to the other guys, and good luck ;)
daishan1981

Postby JSRockit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:29 pm

Not really looking for a pre amp that colors...just one that does whatever mic justice...something at least a little better than the typical mixer pre or audio interface pre-amp. How's the RME stuff?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby derma_tek » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:41 pm

JSRockit wrote:Not really looking for a pre amp that colors...just one that does whatever mic justice...something at least a little better than the typical mixer pre or audio interface pre-amp. How's the RME stuff?

the rme stuff is great, i've only ever had experience with the fireface 800 but i can't imagine the 400 being that different sound quality wise. the rme stuff is probably more comparable to your metric halo, both being a step above the motu gear, at least to my ears, but really either the rme or the motu should more than suit your needs, both have great sounding transparent pre-amps

i should add though you can get the black lion mod for the motu gear which is pretty interesting

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/motu_firewire_mod.html
derma_tek

Band: Derma-Tek

Postby Bill_Schroder » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:57 pm

So what's the word on the Alesis MultiMix firewire mixers? I was going to buy the smallest one. No good?
Ouch.
Bill_Schroder

Postby Yeti » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:02 pm

do you have something against presonus? if so, i will stop recommending it....i just happen to think they make quality products and are comfortable interfaces.
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams....

Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-1, Microkorg, Boss DR-110, Yamaha RX5, Korg ER1, Casio MT70, MT68, EP30,SK1, Alesis HR16, Akai S1000, Reason, Guitars, Basses, Mandolin
Yeti

Postby JSRockit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:23 pm

Yeti wrote:do you have something against presonus? if so, i will stop recommending it....i just happen to think they make quality products and are comfortable interfaces.

No, sorry. It's just that when I e-mailed them, they said their audio interface pre-amps weren't on par with their dedicated pre-amps... so, I assumed they weren't what I was looking for.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Yeti » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:30 pm

oh i see. hmmmm....yeah, i dunno if i would say there would such high quality that i would consider them "on par" with external pre-amps. however, i don't know of any interface that would work nearly as well as a dedicated preamp would. maybe you could just get a good external preamp as well.......make it worth the money you invest, by getting a dedicated preamp and a good firewire interface, instead of looking for an all-in-one....just my two cents.
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams....

Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-1, Microkorg, Boss DR-110, Yamaha RX5, Korg ER1, Casio MT70, MT68, EP30,SK1, Alesis HR16, Akai S1000, Reason, Guitars, Basses, Mandolin
Yeti

Postby JSRockit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:25 pm

Yeti wrote:oh i see. hmmmm....yeah, i dunno if i would say there would such high quality that i would consider them "on par" with external pre-amps. however, i don't know of any interface that would work nearly as well as a dedicated preamp would. maybe you could just get a good external preamp as well.......make it worth the money you invest, by getting a dedicated preamp and a good firewire interface, instead of looking for an all-in-one....just my two cents.

The MH ULN-2 I have is considered to have great pre-amps (for the money) and the RME stuff as well. They cost over $1000 each though. I was wondering if the MOTU stuff was close...because presonus basically admitted theirs wasn't.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:23 am

The Motu pres are pretty good, I haven't put them head to head with RME or MH but they are very respectable.

If I were you I'd be looking at something like the 828mkII or Traveller rather than the ultralite, you may find yourself needing the optical ins down the line. I've also used the 896 and 896HD and they both sound great.

Motu just released the 8pre, which could be worth checking out if you want more ins but don't need more outs. It can be expanded later on through ADAT for another 8 ins and outs if you need as well. I've used heaps of Motu interfaces and they've always been really stable on mac.

RME are also good but I haven't used any of their firewire interfaces. I don't think you could realy go wrong either way here.

There seems to be quite a few people here giving advice about things they don't really know about, which is a pity. Maybe have a look at www.gearslutz.com Check out the low end theory board.

How much out of your budget is the MH Mobile IO? They aren't that expensive are they? Maybe sell the ULN2 and put the money towards it?
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby JSRockit » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:39 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:How much out of your budget is the MH Mobile IO? They aren't that expensive are they? Maybe sell the ULN2 and put the money towards it?

It's not about my budget...it's about what I want to spend vs. the other things I want. To be honest I'm not that great at recording in the first place...which is why I don't feel I need the best...just a little better than the cheapest stuff. I've had mic pres that kill mics and that sucks. I juts want to avoid that basically.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:54 am

Well I'd just get one of the motus then, they're all respectable, the drivers are really good and stable and they aren't very expensive. Just decide how many mic pres and line ins and outs you need and go from there. I'd be looking at one of the ones with ADAT though, so you can easily expand it later if you need to.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby JSRockit » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:05 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Well I'd just get one of the motus then, they're all respectable, the drivers are really good and stable and they aren't very expensive. Just decide how many mic pres and line ins and outs you need and go from there. I'd be looking at one of the ones with ADAT though, so you can easily expand it later if you need to.

Thanks buddy.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Cruel Hoax » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:07 am

Bill_Schroder wrote:So what's the word on the Alesis MultiMix firewire mixers? I was going to buy the smallest one. No good?

The drivers are (sad to report) c**p.

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Postby AlanC » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:16 pm

Which platform are you using? MOTU is great on the Mac, but I heard enough stories about flakey Windows drivers to put me off.

I ended up with the Edirol FA-101. I'd generally agree with the comments in the Sound On Sound review: it sounds quite respectable and the drivers are solid but there are only 2 mic pre's, there are some operational oddities and the nominal +4dBu line ins need a hotter signal than most of my synths can generate.
AlanC

PreviousNext

Return to Sound Production