Forget Firewire Mixers... I need a new FW interface with...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Postby JSRockit » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:31 pm

I'm using a Mac.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby aeon » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:50 pm

Do it right: Metric Halo 2882
Do it right on the "cheap": MOTU w/Black Lion mods.

I chose those two because you use a Mac, and their drivers are the business.

If RME had really solid Mac drivers, I for sure would include them as well.

That all said, at the end of the day, your A/D is vitally important - this is not an area to skimp or compromise if the sound of what you do is important to you.

cheers,
Ian
aeon

Postby Bill_Schroder » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:46 am

Cruel Hoax wrote:
Bill_Schroder wrote:So what's the word on the Alesis MultiMix firewire mixers? I was going to buy the smallest one. No good?

The drivers are (sad to report) c**p.

-Hoax

If you don't mind me asking - what does that mean? The only bad thing I've heard so far is that the multimix 8, the one I want to buy, can only record four tracks simultaneously. It has four mono channels and two stereo. So if it can only record four tracks at a time, can I pick and choose which channels I want to record? I would assume I could.
Ouch.
Bill_Schroder

Postby phwb » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:52 am

Bill_Schroder wrote:
Cruel Hoax wrote:
Bill_Schroder wrote:So what's the word on the Alesis MultiMix firewire mixers? I was going to buy the smallest one. No good?

The drivers are (sad to report) c**p.

-Hoax

If you don't mind me asking - what does that mean? The only bad thing I've heard so far is that the multimix 8, the one I want to buy, can only record four tracks simultaneously. It has four mono channels and two stereo. So if it can only record four tracks at a time, can I pick and choose which channels I want to record? I would assume I could.

Idealy you would be able to but you won't be able to do anything very much of the time because the driver's don't function properly. I bought a phonic helix board, same thing as the multimix only slightly better specs and suposedly the same A/D converters used in the Mackee Onyx line. Drivers don't work properly on this either, and then the whole thing broke down all this stuff is c**p, my whole summer was ruined why can't anyone just make something that actually works and is up to specs and has 16 discreat channels in 96khz for $1000? is that too much to ask?
phwb

Postby DGX305 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:20 am

try the Tascam FW-1082
i have no issues with it
review: http://www.proaudioreview.com/august05/tascam.shtml
EQ mag: http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=41&storycode=7674
only $600

Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100
DGX305

Postby monk_volcano » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:40 am

buddy of mine has a mackie ONYX. it's friggin sweet.

great sound eq's on it, they kill any software eq's i've used. it's very sturdy as well. i'd buy one if i had the dough.
monk_volcano

Postby Mark Grandson » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:58 am

hey js .. im not sure if your really wanting a I/O with an intergrated mixer - if not i'd like to suggest the presonus firepod. 8in 8out. i've been really happy with mine.
Mark Grandson
No Longer Registered

Postby phwb » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:55 am

DGX305 wrote:try the Tascam FW-1082
i have no issues with it
review: http://www.proaudioreview.com/august05/tascam.shtml
EQ mag: http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=41&storycode=7674
only $600

This is what I've been looking at actually. Glad to hear it's ok.
phwb

Postby JSRockit » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:52 pm

I went for the MOTU Ultralite. I'm sure it will be fine for my needs. Many people use the MOTU stuff with great results...so...I can't have any excuses. If I don't like the Mic Pres...I'll buy a FMR Audio RNP...which I have always wanted anyway.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby kk994 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:03 pm

aeon wrote:Do it right: Metric Halo 2882
Do it right on the "cheap": MOTU w/Black Lion mods.

I chose those two because you use a Mac, and their drivers are the business.

If RME had really solid Mac drivers, I for sure would include them as well.

That all said, at the end of the day, your A/D is vitally important - this is not an area to skimp or compromise if the sound of what you do is important to you.

cheers,
Ian

Have you heard the Black Lion mods?
kk994

Postby jngpng » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:04 pm

aeon wrote:If RME had really solid Mac drivers, I for sure would include them as well.

They do have really solid Mac drivers! At least in my experience (which is limited to the Fireface 400).
jngpng

Postby Bill_Schroder » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:09 am

So what am I doing? Should I buy this damn mixer or what? I want to record multiple tracks simultaneously and I am on a really tight budget. There aren't many options for me really. I'm not a professional musician in need of spot on, top notch gear. Will I atleast be happy to get by with this mixer? I don't want to buy a complete dud. I'm guessing I'll just have to try it out myself and see. I'm all very new to computer recording.
Ouch.
Bill_Schroder

Postby JSRockit » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:47 pm

Bill_Schroder wrote:So what am I doing? Should I buy this damn mixer or what? I want to record multiple tracks simultaneously and I am on a really tight budget. There aren't many options for me really. I'm not a professional musician in need of spot on, top notch gear. Will I atleast be happy to get by with this mixer? I don't want to buy a complete dud. I'm guessing I'll just have to try it out myself and see. I'm all very new to computer recording.

It really depends on what you are used to. If you are used to a cassette 4 track or a cheap digital recorder... I think you will be suprised by the FW mixers.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby JSRockit » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:34 pm

Well, I got the MOTU Ultralite. It is exactly what I was looking for. It is simple to use, sounds great (even compared to the Metric halo ULN-2), and seems to be built well. Has to be considered one of, if not, the best FW audio interface under $550.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby derma_tek » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:22 am

JSRockit wrote:Well, I got the MOTU Ultralite. It is exactly what I was looking for. It is simple to use, sounds great (even compared to the Metric halo ULN-2), and seems to be built well. Has to be considered one of, if not, the best FW audio interface under $550.

glad to here it worked out for you, and of course the nice thing is if you run into this problem again and you need more inputs, you can just buy another and daisy chain them together :) i'd also highly recommend their midi interfaces as well. i'm running a motu 828 mk2 and a motu microlite , both work seemlessly with logic :)

btw... you still using logic?
derma_tek

Band: Derma-Tek

PreviousNext

Return to Sound Production