picked up some small Edirol monitors today...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

picked up some small Edirol monitors today...

Postby killedaway » Sun May 13, 2007 6:13 am

i went yard-saling/swap-meeting with a friend today, as is my usual Saturday custom, and found some Edirol MA-10D "Digital Stereo Micro Monitors". they're tiny little things: 10 watts each, 3" woofers, with digital and analog ins. i know they're cheap, but i already have a great pair of studio monitors and i've been looking for something small and wimpy but with decent quality that i could use as a second set of reference speakers. for their size, they're actually pretty nice. bass response is paltry, of course, but they still get down a lot lower than i thought they would. the highs are quite crisp and relative to their size, detail is fair.

they were sitting amidst a pile of electronic junk (other, old speakers, a DVD player, a TV) and they caught my eye (i don't think they make these anymore, but i used to see them priced around $100+, new). i asked the guy selling how much he wanted for the pair; he said $10, so of course, i'm assuming they're broken. however, being my cocky self, i decide i'll just fix them if that's the case (or cry trying). i try to offer the guy 8 bucks, which he declines, saying that he was asking 15 earlier in the day. whatever. i give him 10 bucks and head to my car.

i get home, plug them in, hook up my ESX-1, power them on, and.... NOTHING. i get a red light and no sound. great. of course, i'm not gonna let that stop me. it's screwdriver time! i open them up, and unbelievably, i see the problem right away: inside the amp unit is an 8-pin ribbon cable, which, for one reason or another, is unplugged.
-- it was at this point i surmised that these speakers have never been used. other than some light outer wear (maybe from being moved, or packed & unpacked), they look to be pristine. --
anyway, i plug the cable in, close it up and power them on once more -- green light, and sound! they now work 100%. for only ten bucks, i have a baby set of secondary reference monitors. for those wondering, these also double as pretty good PC speakers and offer a digital connection (optical or coaxial), to interface with your computer.

anyway, this was just a small brag and a remark about the quality of these particular Edirols. i don't think i would've bought them at retail, but they actually bang a good amount.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun May 13, 2007 6:43 am

Nice one, good deal!
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby killedaway » Sun May 13, 2007 8:52 am

thanks!

i just got done running my gear thru them for about an hour or so, and i really am impressed. further, i was able to isolate a strange out-of-tune phenomenon that was affecting one of my synth bass patches in my EMX-1. it was present while listening thru my M1s, but only just barely, so i never caught it before. the first time i played the offending pattern thru the MA-10Ds, i caught it right away, and subsequently fixed it. i think this has something to do with the bass-heavy response of the M1s, which must have caused that sound to get pushed to the "back". i can now see why folks use at least 2 pairs of monitors when they mix.
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Return to Sound Production