The Best? Quality Reverb unit on the market ...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
HH

The Best? Quality Reverb unit on the market ...

Post by HH » Mon May 14, 2007 11:52 am

Hi guys,

I was thinking for a replacement/addition to my TC M300 effects.
I know that it's hard to say which one is the best, because all of them have their own touch/usage.

but, i'm more concerned about a one, universal high quality reverb unit, for the price of no more than 1000$.

TC M3000 seems to be in that price range, but i've never heard it. Is it any good?

Any options, thoughts?
Thanks
HH

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon May 14, 2007 7:42 pm

I can't comment on your choice, but Lexicon have a few (multi-fx) models in that price bracket, and you could pick up a 2nd hand unit for that too - PCM something-or-other (70?), IIRC. There are old Yamahas kicking around too for a lot less, (though my ailing brain cannot currently recall the model numbers - long day at work)... Big black 2U things with lots of buttons... you know the ones... around half your budget, at least from what I've seen.

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon May 14, 2007 8:21 pm

As a t.c. M3000 owner, I can confirm that it is a lovely reverb and ambience generator.

That said, it may or may not be suitable for your purposes. It has a definite sound that is very far away from Eventide, Lexicon, Sony, Roland, etc.

It would be fair to say I am a bit of a reverb slut. :oops:

cheers,
Ian

HH

Post by HH » Tue May 15, 2007 3:13 pm

Thanks for replies, guys.
Nathanscribe: isn't the Lexicon's PCM models over 2000$. Just checked at their website and that's a freaking high price for a reverb unit.

Aeon: i've been looking at TC M3000 too. How much is it worth? Do you have any demos or tracks used with it which i could check out?

Thanks

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue May 15, 2007 5:46 pm

HH wrote:isn't the Lexicon's PCM models over 2000$. Just checked at their website and that's a freaking high price for a reverb unit.
Yep, it's a steep one. But you could get a 2nd-hand PCM 70 for around your budget limit. If you want a new one, the MX series are affordable. They do an MX500 within your budget whcih has firewire and can act as a 'real' DAW plugin.

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Wed May 16, 2007 3:58 am

I'm currently in the market for a hardware reverb/FX unit as well, for my synths that don't have their own effects. I'm going to get the Lexicon MPX 500, so I'll tell you guys how that works out.

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:16 am

Just to give you guys looking for affordable reverb an update, I recently got the Lexicon MPX500. Its definitely worth the money (I payed about 300$ for it but I've seen it go as cheap as 150$)! Great reverbs for the price and tons of other effects besides the touted reverbs. Here's a demo of a large hall verb; the lexicon effect I know everyone wants to hear...

Trance Hook with an MPX500 large hall

I would definitely recommend it for a dedicated FX unit for any of your synths that don't have their own effects.

EDIT: The mpx500 must have a pretty bad noise floor, because I can clearly hear the noise in this recording. Well that sucks....

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:16 pm

i_watch_stars wrote:Just to give you guys looking for affordable reverb an update, I recently got the Lexicon MPX500. Its definitely worth the money (I payed about 300$ for it but I've seen it go as cheap as 150$)! Great reverbs for the price and tons of other effects besides the touted reverbs. Here's a demo of a large hall verb; the lexicon effect I know everyone wants to hear...

Trance Hook with an MPX500 large hall

I would definitely recommend it for a dedicated FX unit for any of your synths that don't have their own effects.

EDIT: The mpx500 must have a pretty bad noise floor, because I can clearly hear the noise in this recording. Well that sucks....
well, if its a lexicon, that means it has an insanely sensietive input knob just waiting to put some noise on your track.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

route_electrique
Gear: Clavia Nordlead 2 | Clavia Nord Modular G1 | Waldorf Microwave XT (30 Voice) |
Band: waveformbakery

Post by route_electrique » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:22 am

The Bricasti Design - Model 7 Stereo Reverb Processor has been getting really awesome feedback (@GS). Engineered by ex-Lexicon doods, if i remember right.

http://www.bricasti.com/
| Fact is, your are going to get bent over by a Record Company..... its just how far, how long and if you let them decide to use vaseline or not." -Unknown |
_
http://www.waveformbakery.com [coming in Q3!]

zobomix

Post by zobomix » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:29 am

Maybe a used TC Fireworx? It usually goes for about $500-600

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

too late; i'm drunk

Post by Cruel Hoax » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:17 am

Fireworx is da s**t for flexible signal oddifying. Not sure I'd choose it solely as a reverberator, though.

In my experience, TCs tend to sound more "roomy" while Lexicons sound more "lush, soundscapey". Your opinion may differ, of course.

But for US$1000, you have a lot of choices. You could get an EMT plate (yeah, the real 8-foot beast) and have something forever unique about your studio.

You could get a Lexicon Vortex, an Alesis Wedge, a Furman stereo spring reverb, a Roland SRV2000 and a Cooper Time Cube (or AMS) and give the big stiff finger to all the plugin kids. That kind of flexibility and interoperability is what makes a good studio great.

Try feeding one verb into another: set up an "ambience" program in the first, but pretty live, with a large-ish room size and a long-ish decay time. Then feed this into your usual long-verb. Much better prolonging of vowels, yes? much better than cranking that second verb too hard. Pre-process it and massage it, and then all your long verb has to do is make it elegant. Basic tone control resides in the shortverb before it. Seriously - give it a shot, even in software! And then figure whether or not such an approach makes sense to you in hardware. It just might.

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:10 am

t.c. = real, transparent, pristine, clear, spaces
Lexicon = surreal, colored, lush, diffuse, environments
Sony = malleable, shaded, refined, projected, places
Roland = “artifice”-al, vivid, synthetic, etched, treatments

In the under-$1000 category for each of those, I would suggest (used):

t.c. electronic M3000
Lexicon PCM-70, PCM-81/91
Sony DPS-V77, DPS-R7
Roland SRV-330, RSS-10, RSS-303

All of these boxes do a great reverb under $1000. I might guess that a Roland SRV-3030 would be a nice unit too, but I have not used it. There are also other makers who likely do a great job (Ensoniq?) but I do not have experience with them.

cheers,
Ian

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:16 am

I also agree that the FireworX would not be my first choice in a reverberator, even if it is able to generate some treatments that are unique and compelling.

cheers,
Ian

amatsov

Post by amatsov » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:40 pm

...any rewievs on vermona retroverb?

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:32 pm

route_electrique wrote:The Bricasti Design - Model 7 Stereo Reverb Processor has been getting really awesome feedback (@GS). Engineered by ex-Lexicon doods, if i remember right.

http://www.bricasti.com/
Looks nice. My math may be a little slower these days, but isn't $4500 a tad over the "no more than $1000" mark?
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.