Best cables out there?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Best cables out there?

Postby Motavis » Mon May 14, 2007 6:49 pm

I got some new Adam A7's. I have crappy cables an of course get a hissss.
What would be the best cables I could get?
ImageImage
Motavis

Postby wiss » Mon May 14, 2007 10:10 pm

I can only offer this, i'm rough with cabels so I refuse to spend very much money on them unless I'm never going to unplugg them, like the cables that run from my mixer to my adats and the mixer to the moniters.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

and then

Postby Motavis » Mon May 14, 2007 10:13 pm

wiss wrote:I can only offer this, i'm rough with cabels so I refuse to spend very much money on them unless I'm never going to unplugg them, like the cables that run from my mixer to my adats and the mixer to the moniters.

I need to spend more I spent $1,000 for the A7's and I hear a Hissssing from the crappy cables :cry:
ImageImage
Motavis

Postby Analog Freak » Mon May 14, 2007 10:21 pm

Are you absolutly sure that the cables are at fault? The hissing could be coming from anywhere, the mixer itself, a source plugged into the mixer, house wiring, the list is nearly endless. Are you using balenced or unbalenced connections between your mixer and the monitors? From an engineering standpoint, wire is wire, better cables simply might be able to carry more current or have better sheilding or durability, but the sound should not be affected at all. Also, try moving power and computer cables away from audio cables and cross different types of signal cabling at 90 degrees when possible.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.
Analog Freak

and then

Postby Motavis » Mon May 14, 2007 10:28 pm

Analog Freak wrote:Are you absolutely sure that the cables are at fault? Are you using balanced or unbalanced connections between your mixer and the monitors? From an engineering standpoint, wire is wire, better cables simply might be able to carry more current or have better shielding or durability, but the sound should not be affected at all. Also, try moving power and computer cables away from audio cables and cross different types of signal cabling at 90 degrees when possible.

Well I have both crappy cables... balanced and unbalanced. I tried the balanced but the sound is like super
quiet, aka I can't hear the music coming out of it. I still think it is the cables but I could be wrong.

I have A7's wondering what cord for balanced I should get? or unbalanced?

http://www.adam-audio.com/studio/nearfi ... paperE.pdf

Would I just hook the balanced end into a quarter inch on the other end?

Here is what I am planning to get and would hook it to the back
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/closeu ... D_rear.jpg

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
ImageImage
Motavis

Re: and then

Postby Motavis » Tue May 15, 2007 12:10 am

So I put some headphones on to see if it happened to them as well, it did.
I am inputting the jacks in the front [A] but I tried the line in which on the back [B]
there is 4 inputs and the 1/2 is dead even when i try to set it and turn volume up.
Then the 3/4 is muddled and quiet?

ImageImage
Motavis

Postby Analog Freak » Tue May 15, 2007 12:21 am

Hmm, have you tried bypassing your audio and MIDI interface just to see whether that helps? Since you tired two different sets of cables and neither worked properly I suspect that something other than your speaker connections are at fault.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.
Analog Freak

M!~

Postby Motavis » Tue May 15, 2007 6:30 am

Analog Freak wrote:Hmm, have you tried bypassing your audio and MIDI interface just to see whether that helps? Since you tired two different sets of cables and neither worked properly I suspect that something other than your speaker connections are at fault.

I am still working out what the deal is. I took out the virus I had hooked up, to see if it would help, nope.
Though I will be working this out for a few days here is some pics of how I have it setup up....

http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/view ... start=4425
At the bottom :c)
ImageImage
Motavis

Postby WDW » Wed May 16, 2007 1:25 am

I'll leave the hiss talk to the pros in here, who are obviously addressing that question.

As to the question of cables, I use two:
Mogami cable with Neutrik connectors
Monster Professional

The Monsters are frightfully expensive, but switching to them instantly removed all of the noise that I had on my Live Wire cables previously. But, costwise, although still not inexpensive, buying the Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors to build my own certainly seems a lot cheaper than buying premade cables. [And no noise on any of my Mogami/Neutrik cables.]

Cheers.

WD
WDW

M!~

Postby Motavis » Wed May 16, 2007 2:33 am

WDW wrote:I'll leave the hiss talk to the pros in here, who are obviously addressing that question.

As to the question of cables, I use two:
Mogami cable with Neutrik connectors
Monster Professional

The Monsters are frightfully expensive, but switching to them instantly removed all of the noise that I had on my Live Wire cables previously. But, cost wise, although still not inexpensive, buying the Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors to build my own certainly seems a lot cheaper than buying premade cables. [And no noise on any of my Mogami/Neutrik cables.]

Cheers.

WD

I guess I should say I am looking for indoor studio cables for recording. I will check out the others, but
where do you get the Mogami and Neutrik ones?

I am not sure if it's the Virus doing it or not going to hook up my XL7 and see what the dillio is.
ImageImage
Motavis

Postby WDW » Wed May 16, 2007 2:38 am

I had a friend at GC order me a spool of cable and a couple hundred connectors. But these things are available for loads of sources online. I'd bet that a search would reveal a bunch of sellers. Plus, this topic came up a long time ago on VSE (probably too long ago to be in the archives); thus, I expect that VSErs will have a few preferred vendors to recommend.

Cheers.

WD
WDW

Postby Soundwave » Wed May 16, 2007 2:35 pm

I use simple home made oxygen free cables with cable and jacks from Maplins with no hiss from the cables whatsoever and that includes a pair of 4m stereo line cables from my AN1X so the problem must be interference from a nearby source (PC perhaps) or dodgy equipment.
I think you’re money will be wasted on spending big bucks for cable on normal sound sources like a synth module. I’ve argued with a mate about the noticeable fidelity of cables as he was spending a few £100 on just a pair of silver phono/line cable for his top end Music Fidelity hi-fi but seeing as the circuit boards in his separates were also made from silver it would seem silly to use anything else.
I can see spending big bucks for use with top end microphones and top level pro equipment but I don’t think any modern synth has the fidelity that would shine on top notch cables.
Soundwave

Postby JSRockit » Wed May 16, 2007 5:42 pm

I've ordered the cheapest cables from this guy's site...and they work well and are very good quality.

http://www.lavacable.com/
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby i_watch_stars » Fri May 18, 2007 4:38 am

LOL...who cares? I just get cheap HOSA cables. It really only matters if you have long cable runs, or stuff that is going to cause heavy interference, right?
i_watch_stars

Old Items in a New Item way

Postby Motavis » Fri May 18, 2007 5:14 am

i_watch_stars wrote:LOL...who cares? I just get cheap HOSA cables. It really only matters if you have long cable runs, or stuff that is going to cause heavy interference, right?

As I mentioned I am getting a hisssssssssssssssing. So I am looking perhaps
from what you said something to keep the interferences down or the hisssing.
ImageImage
Motavis

Next

Return to Sound Production