What Recording Gear Do You Use?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

What Recording Gear Do You Use?

Hardware: Tape MT, HardDisk MT, SmartCard Device?
20%
Software: PC/Mac/?
66%
Other:_______Fill in the blank
3%
Cheese Sandwich? w/Bacon?
10%

Total votes: 98

liquidzen

Post by liquidzen » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:30 pm

MAC DUAL 2.0 W/2 GIGS
PRO TOOLS HD3 ACCEL
APOGEE AD8000, BENCHMARK DAC AND LUCID AD9624
DIGI 192'S TIMES 3
DIGI D-COMMAND MAIN CONTROLLER
SUMMIT, NEVE, JOE MEEK, MILLENNIA, FOCUSRITE RED, STUDER PRES
FILTEK AND SUMMITT EQ'S
PELUS0 2247LE AND BLUE MOUSE MICS
SINTEFEX FX2000 COMP/EQ
LEXICON LXP5 TIMES 4
ADAM P33A AND JBL LSR 4328 MONITORS

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:28 pm

It's a pity the caps lock key on your shiny new mac is broken.

Also just wondering why you've got so many pres and only two mics. :?

liquidzen

duh!

Post by liquidzen » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:41 pm

do i detect a bit of ENVY, my friend? (notice the caps lock on the envy part).
are you really serious about the question on two mics for all those pres?
if so, i can explain...
1. Running ANY signal through a great pre amp will GREATLY better the quality of ANY source. Just because it is labeled a Mic Pre does NOT mean it's just for mics. Just so you know... any pre has a DI... that DI is not just for looks, dude.
2. Every mic pre has a totally different character to them. Example... Summits have a huge fuzzy warm wound, Millennias are ultra clean and pristine. SO.... If a certain sound needs a certain color, i'll use the pre necessary for the required sound.
Make sense? The reasons I've mentioned are not new, and are not just my opinion... hundreds of professional engineers, producers, and musicians know these reasons to be true.
i am not suprised by your question/statement... I have met several home studio hobbiests who think running synths/samples/drum machines through a pre is unimportant. Most of them are content using mackies or running direct into a Motu or something to the likes of. If they only heard the difference, they would understand. Cheers.
BTW... the mac is not shiney and new.. it's about 3 years old and considered a dinosaur in compuspeak.

liquidzen

Post by liquidzen » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:44 pm

oh yeah... btw... Moby own only ONE mic... so there!!!!

filtermod

Post by filtermod » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:13 pm

Mac dual 1ghz
MOTU 2408
crusty older Mackie 16 channel
Logic Pro 7
Ableton Live 5
various outboard compressors, eqs, and preamps
lot's of cheese and bacon, a pack of plain chocolate Hob Nobs, and some coffee or a good pint.

http://www.myspace.com/atomatik13
http://www.myspace.com/rektmusic
http://www.myspace.com/monthofgrey
you can't fix stupid

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:16 pm

Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24 into a MOTU 828mk2 into Logic 8 Express. KRK Rokit 8s for monitoring. I have a single AT2020 that came with my monitors in a package deal that I have yet to use.

Stab Frenzy

Re: duh!

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:39 am

liquidzen wrote:do i detect a bit of ENVY, my friend? (notice the caps lock on the envy part).
if so, i can explain...
1. Running ANY signal through a great pre amp will GREATLY better the quality of ANY source. Just because it is labeled a Mic Pre does NOT mean it's just for mics. Just so you know... any pre has a DI... that DI is not just for looks, dude.
2. Every mic pre has a totally different character to them. Example... Summits have a huge fuzzy warm wound, Millennias are ultra clean and pristine. SO.... If a certain sound needs a certain color, i'll use the pre necessary for the required sound.
Make sense? The reasons I've mentioned are not new, and are not just my opinion... hundreds of professional engineers, producers, and musicians know these reasons to be true.
i am not suprised by your question/statement... I have met several home studio hobbiests who think running synths/samples/drum machines through a pre is unimportant. Most of them are content using mackies or running direct into a Motu or something to the likes of. If they only heard the difference, they would understand. Cheers.
BTW... the mac is not shiney and new.. it's about 3 years old and considered a dinosaur in compuspeak.
Not envy, I'm just surprised someone with all those pres wouldn't have a few more mics around for mic'ing up cabs, recording live instruments and percussion and things. I haven't been to many studios that didn't have a nicely stocked mic locker.

Thanks for the condescension, it really makes you sound like a pro. :) I used to work for a company making valve mic pres so I'm aware of the tonal changes you get running line level sources through a nice pre.
liquidzen wrote:oh yeah... btw... Moby own only ONE mic... so there!!!!
?? I guess I better go throw most of my mics in the bin then.

crow

Post by crow » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:48 am

The sooner it f**k breaks the better.

PS:: That was a savage blow. :roll:
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:59 am

Entropy Farmer wrote:I have a single AT2020 that came with my monitors in a package deal that I have yet to use.
They're surprisingly good for the money, especially if you got it for nothing.

liquidzen

Re: duh!

Post by liquidzen » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:42 am

humm.....right. MY mistake.

quote="Stab Frenzy"]
liquidzen wrote:do i detect a bit of ENVY, my friend? (notice the caps lock on the envy part).
if so, i can explain...
Not envy, I'm just surprised someone with all those pres wouldn't have a few more mics around for mic'ing up cabs, recording live instruments and percussion and things. I haven't been to many studios that didn't have a nicely stocked mic locker.

Thanks for the condescension, it really makes you sound like a pro. :) I used to work for a company making valve mic pres so I'm aware of the tonal changes you get running line level sources through a nice pre.
?? I guess I better go throw most of my mics in the bin then.[/quote]

theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:36 am

I use a Tascam DP-01fx, And your poll just inspired me to fry up some bacon.
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:41 am

crow wrote:
The sooner it f**k breaks the better.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Legend.

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:36 pm

i choo choo choo choose other

i use a mix of mpc 1k (to actually record on) then transfer it on to logic, or i will record straight into logic.

but the end result finds its way onto logic studio

Spike Vincent
Location: People's Republic of The Forest of Dean,and why isn't there a Welsh flag option?Eh?

Post by Spike Vincent » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:14 am

Fostex VF 08,and for those retro moments I sometimes use the humble cassette recorder.
Currently plugged in to the mixer :
Korg EA1,Korg MS10 and some shortwave radios.

route_electrique
Gear: Clavia Nordlead 2 | Clavia Nord Modular G1 | Waldorf Microwave XT (30 Voice) |
Band: waveformbakery

Post by route_electrique » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:23 am

Getting RME Fireface 800 for christmas 8) :!: .
| Fact is, your are going to get bent over by a Record Company..... its just how far, how long and if you let them decide to use vaseline or not." -Unknown |
_
http://www.waveformbakery.com [coming in Q3!]