What Recording Gear Do You Use?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

What Recording Gear Do You Use?

Hardware: Tape MT, HardDisk MT, SmartCard Device?
20%
Software: PC/Mac/?
66%
Other:_______Fill in the blank
3%
Cheese Sandwich? w/Bacon?
10%

Total votes: 98

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:22 am

my typical recording setup is:

synth->Great River ME1-NV (w RNC on insert) -> balanced to FF800 converter @88kHz-> Nuendo PC

for stereo sources, i go straight to FF800, for now.

if i want gritt, dirt or subtle warmth, i use EHX LPB 2ube stereo tube pre/od.

also i use space echo RE-201, DM300 and Blacet Time Machine delays to further lofi-ize sound on the way to converter. its great when u use 0% feedback with minimum delay time, but wet ONLy. instant lofi/character, whter its tape or bbd delay. great trick.

in addition, im building, but never seem to finish, three stereo GSSL compressors. and plan to build a few API312 pres in API500 format by eisen audio. it be great to have as many high end pres as one has inputs to the converter. 8) but that would be a very pricey prospect. i hope to get as close to that ideal as i can. synths NEED great preamps. different colours. going direct is flat and boring sound that doesnt mix so well with the others.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:43 pm

clusterchord wrote:in addition, im building, but never seem to finish, three stereo GSSL compressors. and plan to build a few API312 pres in API500 format by eisen audio. it be great to have as many high end pres as one has inputs to the converter. 8) but that would be a very pricey prospect. i hope to get as close to that ideal as i can. synths NEED great preamps. different colours. going direct is flat and boring sound that doesnt mix so well with the others.
We finally got the Api A2D preamp+converter to our band's studio den. I just had a quick testdrive and I have to agree with Cluster. I was blown away when I plugged in the SunSyn and had a little tweak session. Clearer, punchier, more natural, words can't really describe the difference to our previous signal paths.

- CM

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:35 am

I use a fostex MR-8. I havn't made the transfer to software even though i got an interface and a computer in my studio. It's just so easy to grasp and I get decent results.

Box, plug instrument into box, hit record, play instrument, repeat.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:29 pm

I use a 4-track casette recorder, no pre-anything, just a very cheap mixer that I really just needed as the casette recorder only has 4 tracks, so to record more than two stereo-sounds, I run as much as I can into the mixer.

Synth/Sampler/DrumMachine--->Soundcraft 10 Mixer ----> Fostex 4-track.

very cheap, very limited, quite annoying but very simple and fun :)
(but thank god I can sequence many things and have them all on One stereo out.. :)

I'd love to upgrade to using my computer, but then I'd need both an interface of some kind and recording software, which i can't afford for quite a while. Besides, hearing "oh your music sounds so lo-fi and underground" all the time actually makes me want to just keep it like that :)

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:12 pm

instruments=>peavey pa mixer =>tascam porta two

used to be in to a cheap cd/tape/radio stereo or straight in to my tape deck from the mixers rca outs.

multiple tracks are cool...instead of recording one from a walkman from the last tape you made and playing along to it...

i have an interface...and a computer.

what i am missing is time.

some day i will get some songs down. it will be grand. it'll happen when it happens.

sequence

Post by sequence » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:33 pm

Korg D3200. :D Like the previous two posters, I like to keep it simple.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:25 pm

Right now the setup is:

DAW:

Macbook w/ 2 Gigs of ram
Logic Pro 7.2
Motu Ultralite & Microlite
Yamaha HS-50m Monitors
Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones

Mics:
Shure SM58
Rode NT2A

Thats all I've got with me in the dorm
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:07 pm

Synths and stuff into mixer (Mackie 1402), mixer into M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard ($99), to ProTools M-powered (you can get the academic version for $150 if you have a student ID handy). It's a pretty handy set-up for not a lot of money.

This is the first recording set-up I've had, beyond a really old bootleg version of SoundForge, and just making stuff with a home stereo and multiple cassette decks. I tried Live and a few other programs but found them to have a little too much going on. The ProTools interface just made sense right away and I was up and multi-tracking quickly without having to spend too much time digging around in the manual. Any sequencing I do gets done on hardware, hence I don't need to record MIDI, so ProTools works fine for me.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:10 am

iMac running Logic Express 8 here.
Right now I use an ozonic, but that's currently for sale as I want an apogee duet or Presonus firebox (haven't decided which yet).

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:18 pm

Soundscape 32 with a Mixpander PCI and iBox SS8IO-3 interface.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

Megatron

Post by Megatron » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:50 am

I use my computer and a 4-track cassette tape recorder and a zoom H2 portable flash recorder.

If you've only ever recorded on a DAW, I would highly recommend trying a four track. I really love mine for certain sorts of music making.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:11 pm

Megatron wrote:I use my computer and a 4-track cassette tape recorder and a zoom H2 portable flash recorder.

If you've only ever recorded on a DAW, I would highly recommend trying a four track. I really love mine for certain sorts of music making.

I agree; I use a ZOOM MRS-4B at home for demos, and my studio mate just picked up the ZOOM H2, which we take outside for ambient and street sounds for later sampling. Both devices offer a more organic approach to recording, plus these devices can be "played" like instruments as one records, which creates opportunities for new directions in sound recording.

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:50 pm

SONAR Home studio on a Compaq V2000-series laptop... Alesis MultiMix 12 Firewire mixer...

To be honest, I kind of miss the hardware recorder.

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:59 am

Home
iMac, 2Gb RAM
MOTU UltraLite
Ableton Live 7
Rode NT1-A

Band
Crappy ol' PC
M-Audio Delta 1010LT
Reaper
a bunch of cheapish mics

mirt

Post by mirt » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:33 am

now i'm recording everything on tascam msr16 - 16 track 1/2" tape recorder,
tascam m-2524 mixing desk, some reverbs and delays - roland re303, eventide h3000, mxr digital reverb 01, deltalab dl4, lexicon vortex, and compressor - imbir ssl 4k.