I can't aford a moog synth but......

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
mr_m0nks

I can't aford a moog synth but......

Post by mr_m0nks » Wed May 23, 2007 12:36 am

now like most people i think moogs sound great, i want one, i just cant afford one and even if i could i don't have room for one

however i recon i can afford the Moog MF101 Low-pass filter

has anyone got one? is it any good, would you reccomend it?
Alesis Ion, Korg Poly800II, Akai S1000, CommodoreC64, Nintendo Gameboy and various software Synths.
http://www.myspace.com/thesilentjihad

Listening to far to much Yazoo

mistercooper

Post by mistercooper » Wed May 23, 2007 12:39 am

It is essentially the same 24db LP filter that you will find in any moog synth, including the minimoog. It is probably 60-70% of the "moog sound" if thats what you're going for. The larger question is, what will you use it for? Do you have some other synth with gate/cv out that you can use to trigger/track it with? Or are you just using it as a guitar/studio effect?
m-audio Radium 61, Korg Kontrol49,
Nord Modular rack, ER-1
Soundlab
CS-50
Custom built modular w/ ~30 modules
TX-216, VSS-100, PSR-470
Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, plugs

fuckrapsputin

Post by fuckrapsputin » Wed May 23, 2007 12:46 am

I have one and I think it was worth every cent. I use it with my yamaha AN200 and sometimes my mc-202 and sometimes samples, its nice, especially with the AN200. the yamaha has a good sound, but going through the low passsss filter it just makes it sm-sm-smooth... Depending on what you are after I would reccomend it, great filter.
gear: Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Wed May 23, 2007 12:49 am

if you afford the low-pass you can afford a moog synth.....you can find a moog for cheap.....you have to be on the look out....
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

mr_m0nks

Post by mr_m0nks » Wed May 23, 2007 12:50 am

well i was going to be using it as a general effect for all kinds stuf but also as a filter for my Ion, bypassing the ions own filters, im guessing that would work

now the other thing i was wondering, can the envelope be bypassed so it just works as a straight filter?

and im guessing with an expression pedal i can turn it into a moog wah pedal, now that sounds cool!

i hope it can do all this and more to be honest, £150 is still quite a bit for an effect, for me anyway
Alesis Ion, Korg Poly800II, Akai S1000, CommodoreC64, Nintendo Gameboy and various software Synths.
http://www.myspace.com/thesilentjihad

Listening to far to much Yazoo

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed May 23, 2007 1:01 am

As the second-hand Moog prices increase every year in general, the temptation to buy a Moog LP/Voyager is all the greater.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Wed May 23, 2007 1:01 am

mr_m0nks wrote:£150 is still quite a bit for an effect, for me anyway
A good filter is much, much more than an effect.
My Sherman Filterbank has an absolutely central role in shaping the sound of my music.
virb.com/ookpikk

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed May 23, 2007 1:05 am

Can the same expression pedal used for controlling Moogerfoggers be used for controlling the Voyager or Little Phatty? Or, is there a pedal designed for working with those two synths?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Wed May 23, 2007 2:41 am

mr_m0nks wrote:now the other thing i was wondering, can the envelope be bypassed so it just works as a straight filter?

and im guessing with an expression pedal i can turn it into a moog wah pedal, now that sounds cool!
Yes, just crank the ENV Amount to 0. This and the other filter's CVs can be controlled from external CV sources such as an expression pedal or perhaps an LFO or maybe even an FM source. Put a CV source into one several or all of these CV inputs and the MF101 becomes much more than a wah pedal!
MrFrodo wrote:Can the same expression pedal used for controlling Moogerfoggers be used for controlling the Voyager or Little Phatty? Or, is there a pedal designed for working with those two synths?
Yes, the Moog exp. pedal works with all Moog gear and others as well.
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed May 23, 2007 2:12 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:
A good filter is much, much more than an effect.
My Sherman Filterbank has an absolutely central role in shaping the sound of my music.
same here. it's quite remarkable how much synth filtering is used on recordings nowadays...and in the last 30 years in general. filtering is key to many effects and characteristics that require more than just recording an instrument and playing it back.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed May 23, 2007 8:06 pm

Will work like a charm on other synths when you leave the filter wide open or bypass it. It has its own envelope on the box.

However, the Ions moog filter is pretty much dead-on accurate already..I'm not sure if you'll notice much difference there.

pelican

Post by pelican » Wed May 23, 2007 8:11 pm

there's an mg1 here for $150. Is in bad cosmetic shape, but everything works properly

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Thu May 24, 2007 7:35 am

I used to think that too, but the truth is moogerfoogers are more than effects. They are several complete modular functions in a single pedal. Whether they are worth the money alone depends on how badly you need it/what you would use it for/how much etc. but as you add others the bang for your buck goes up exponentially. Example, patch an LFO into the mix cv input on the filter and close the filter. Instant tremelo. Patch the envelope out from the filter into the OSC pitch on the ring mod and you have instant automatic sweeps. I only have the filter right now but I think it was worth every penny just to have it to add it's distinct sonic character to any synth I run through it.