Big Muffs and Synths

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:15 pm

zvex fuzz factory -- loved it. but it really mangled the tones. and it always sounded a little different each time i'd put the knobs to where i thought they'd been. very crunchy and bright. i think you'd like this, but it's just another crazy distortion, not necessarily the same overdrive feel i'm used to from the muff i have...

nano muff -- i've used the nano muff on organ type sounds and absolutely love it. you have to get the gain right, and it is totally a one trick pony. but for the $$$, it's not a back trick. i have not, however, tried it with synth sounds.

-geoffrey smallsynth

CloudOnAFly

Post by CloudOnAFly » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:05 pm

polardark wrote: In my opinion a bass distortion is better than a plain guitar distortion for synths.
i totally agree. As much as i drool on top of my hyperfuzz... my boss bass overdrive is probably my favorite pedal ...overall between basses, guitars, and synths...the synths get a nice clean (can be adjusted to fuzzy) overdrive, the guitars get bassy undertones...and basses...scream..sort of

anyways i recommend it.. and i think AH has one used for sale right now...
...simply put..

Metasonix is the choice for all self respecting meta-humans...
(meta-humans currently known are trolls, orcs, dwarves, dragons.....)

jayman
Gear: juno106, juno60, tr 707, sh-1000, volca bass/beats microkorg, arp odyssey (mk 1), drumtraks, mopho, microbrute, zoom tr3b, cz 3000, kurzwiel k2600,
Band: PHAEDRIDER
Location: casa de freakin oro california, jewel of the east county

Post by jayman » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:57 am

arp odyssey+russian big muff pi=yumminess...
i totally dig how our ears can hear all this s**t and and we don't even do like half of it with normal instruments, and then all we gotta do is hook a speaker up to some circuits and move those circuits around and we can push our hearing to it's limits

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Big Muffs and Synths

Post by braincandy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:20 pm

Along the lines of using a bass pedal with a VA--has anyone here used EHX Bass Big Muff Pi or Bass Blogger? I acquired an MS2000B a few days ago and while I'm having a lot of fun with it, I miss having a distortion effect (the MS distortion only serves to make it slightly edgier) after selling my AM8000R a while back.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:21 pm

Meh, not a pedal to be used with synths.

The new smaller muffs are pretty iffy, mind you. The top end isn't that terribly lively. A pretty typical problem with most cheaper, contemporary distortion pedals.

I've heard rumours that if you bury the original Big Muffs into ground and leave them there for about a year, the sound will be great.

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:58 pm

nvbrkr wrote: I've heard rumours that if you bury the original Big Muffs into ground and leave them there for about a year, the sound will be great.
I heard the same rumour about my last girlfriend. So far, so good.

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:12 am

another vote for boss distortion for synths--ds-1 and ds-2 have both worked very well for me...mt-2 is unpredictable madness...and the hm-2 is great as well.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Just a small side note: I had some good luck running the indie outs from my modded TR606 into a Big Muff Nano pedal. The important thing to note here is, the 606 indie outs are close to microphone impedence level.
This track, with just the two Roland silver boxes and a + effects Mackie mixer, has the 606 snare running through this pedal:
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:07 pm

I use the Devi Ever Bit Mangler and Boss FZ-2 all over my synths. Mostly with the MS20. They are both so nasty.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re:

Post by space6oy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:54 pm

hageir wrote:pick up the issue of futuremusic with the 100 pedals review + dvd = sound examples on drum loops, rhodes piano, guitar & vocals..

they cover the whole spectrum ,boutique, boss, vintage and a lot more..

I don't remember what number it is, but I'll find out tonight if you want!

it's really helpful
great suggestion - i wouldn't mind looking that up too.
Solderman wrote:Just a small side note: I had some good luck running the indie outs from my modded TR606 into a Big Muff Nano pedal. The important thing to note here is, the 606 indie outs are close to microphone impedence level.
This track, with just the two Roland silver boxes and a + effects Mackie mixer, has the 606 snare running through this pedal:
nice little track. :thumbleft:

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:52 pm

code green wrote:another vote for boss distortion for synths--ds-1 and ds-2 have both worked very well for me...mt-2 is unpredictable madness...and the hm-2 is great as well.
Hmm, I found the Boss units to be bland and the tone controls on them to be a hindrance. Depends what you're after.

I've currently got a Biyang OTD-100 tube OD, EHX Big Muff Pi, Yamaha DI-01 distortion, home-made versions of the MXR Dist+ and Fuzzface (original) - and some stuff of my own brewing. Funny that distortion/OD/fuzz is the kind of effect I use least, but have most of...

I like the distortions for a touch of crunch without sacrificing either end of the tonal spectrum; the Muff and OTD are good for noise-walls made out of monosynths; fuzz is great on all sorts of things, especially when dialled in *just* enough to start kicking but not enough to swamp it.