Best Cans for under 100?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
sdconvoy

Best Cans for under 100?

Post by sdconvoy » Tue May 29, 2007 8:50 pm

alright, i'm starting to get a little more serious with my recording, and i would like to have a pair of headphones that i can record synths, guitar *with effects processing* and vocals with and get an accurate mix. problem is i'm flat broke, and i could only really scrounge up around 100 dollars. any suggestions?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 30, 2007 3:04 am

I wouldn't really recommend mixing on headphones, you tend to miss a bit of stuff that you hear later on speakers. That said, the Sony MDR-7602s or whatever they're called are great cans for the price, I like mine way more than my old AKGs that I had before which were more expensive.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed May 30, 2007 3:39 am

i bought the Sony MDR-7506 online for just under 100 bucks, shipped. they're great. i'd read a ton of reviews before choosing them, and liked what i heard. they're not the best, but for the price, they're hard to beat. very detailed, with decent lows and mids. i find them to be pretty comfortable -- i can wear them for at least a couple hours without discomfort.

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

I want Direct Cranial Interface, mo'f**k!

Post by Cruel Hoax » Wed May 30, 2007 8:57 am

My standard response is Sennheiser HD280 headphones. Great isolation, flat (to me) sound, comfort and durability. I also own Sony MD7506 cans, and I need to physically press them to my head to hear any bass. Granted, they're oild-a*s phones. But still.

Now the odd part: I've always known the Senns to be ultra-durable, both at home and in the studio. And I've known so many 7506s to break (because of that teeny little wire that connects the earphones to the headband. It always seems to get caught by something!) But: My 8-year-old 7506s still work (after a fashion, said head-pressing aside) while I managed to manhandle a pair of 280s into dysfunction, armed with no more than bare hands and drunkenness. So, my experience is the opposite of everybody I know.

Also, if I was mixing (keeping in mind aforementioned caveat by Stab Frenzy, which is totally on the money: always reference on monitor speakers before final mix!) as opposed to tracking with mics, I'd look at AKG 240s phones. They're very open and airy sounding (go figure; they're open-back cans!) Nowhere near the isolation of the HD280s (which is a big deal while tracking -say- vocals, but not such a big deal when mixing.)

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

viscerallove

Post by viscerallove » Wed May 30, 2007 9:52 am

add another vote for the sony mdr 7506s. bought these for $100 a 6 months ago and i like them a lot.
my music

Clavia Nord Lead
Korg Poly 800
Korg DSS-1
Oberheim Matrix-6
Novation KS 4
Roland V-Synth

MrHope
No Longer Registered

Post by MrHope » Wed May 30, 2007 7:58 pm

Another vote for the Sennheiser HD280's. Personally, I don't think they are flat, but I don't think any headphones are flat. Still, the sound isn't too colored. Their sound is wide range and clear and full. They fit around the ears really well and have 32 dB of isolation. As regular listening headphones, they rock!

aeon

Post by aeon » Wed May 30, 2007 8:24 pm

another vote for the Sony MDR-7506! :D

cheers,
Ian

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:41 pm

+1 Sennheiser HD280 Pro's. Best headphones I've ever owned. Great for referencing sounds, isolating problematic tracks and loud drummers ( if they aren't one and the same!)

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:21 pm

I like my MDR7506 because they come with stickers on them that say "professional", so you know you are. Also they say "STUDIO MONITOR" on the part that goes over your head.

They are pretty strong though. I crushed them in a backpack, and they still work fine, just the cups rotate a little bit.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:26 am

i've read/participated in exactly 17,489 of these "which 99-dollar cans" threads, and there seems to be two choices that by all accounts are each an excellent value: the MDR7506 and the HD280. we're all gonna differ in our preferences somewhat, but there's no denying that both of these sets of 'phones have a large following, are used in many professional studios, and above all, work well!

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:33 am

killedaway wrote: but there's no denying that both of these sets of 'phones have a large following, are used in many professional studios
ya but are the HD280s really professional if they don't have stickers saying so?

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:37 am

portland wrote:
killedaway wrote: but there's no denying that both of these sets of 'phones have a large following, are used in many professional studios
ya but are the HD280s really professional if they don't have stickers saying so?
well, it's like my hat: it doesn't say "awesome" on it, but trust me: it is.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:34 pm

for under a hundred bucks, you can get an Audio Technica ATH-M40fs ($79). I own and have been using this for so many years. it's my favorite under $100 headphone. sounds musical, reasonably flat and easy on the ears, even with a loud volume for hours. but the ear skin is not that durable, make sure to listen in dry hair, not wet or oily.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:56 pm

best cans for under $100? go down to mellonshakers. ask for lola. you wont be disappointed.
;)
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

gd

Post by gd » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:35 am

Harvey Gerst sells Moreme Headphones for $30. They are near bullit proof and used in a lot of large studios. They are excellent for tracking, I have the HD280 and Sony - just ordered another Moreme. Joss Stone and most of her band used them on their latest cd - they preferred them over the AKG, Senns, Sony's etc. that were in the studio (as reported by the producer/studio owner).
http://moreme.info
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...