looking for fun effects toys

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

looking for fun effects toys

Postby tallowwaters » Wed May 30, 2007 1:15 am

all this effects talk has got me all hot and bothered.

i am looking for a new fun effects pedal. i want something weird like that the EH frequency analyzer, mxr blue box, etc.

boutique stuff is stuff is fine, but try to name something near or under 150.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: LC-MS/MS

Postby killedaway » Wed May 30, 2007 1:17 am

shouldn't this be in "Gear Wanted"?
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Postby mr_m0nks » Wed May 30, 2007 1:47 am

How about a digitech whammy pedal??

or you could try running a synth through a boss bass synthesiser pedal, recon that could sound cool
Alesis Ion, Korg Poly800II, Akai S1000, CommodoreC64, Nintendo Gameboy and various software Synths.
http://www.myspace.com/thesilentjihad

Listening to far to much Yazoo
mr_m0nks

Postby tallowwaters » Wed May 30, 2007 3:00 am

killedaway wrote:shouldn't this be in "Gear Wanted"?

no, i am not looking to buy anything from you idjits in particular, just looking for ideas, kind of like this chaps recommendations -

mr_m0nks wrote:How about a digitech whammy pedal??

or you could try running a synth through a boss bass synthesiser pedal, recon that could sound cool

already got both of those covered in spades. ;)

this little junker has been clouding my judgement...
http://www.noisefx.com/product_details/ ... jf1_fx0634

i suppose my vss30 could cover it though...or i could probably make it...
tallowwaters

Postby killedaway » Wed May 30, 2007 3:35 am

tallowwaters wrote:
no, i am not looking to buy anything from you idjits in particular, just looking for ideas, kind of like this chaps recommendations -

oops, sorry.
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

not a pedal, but...

Postby divineaudio » Wed May 30, 2007 5:01 am

any version of the effectron from delta labs should keep you amused for quite some time. its a digital dalay with a modulation section and comes in 3 or 4 different variations. might be kinda hard to track one down, but very much worth the effort.
divineaudio

Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Postby Cruel Hoax » Wed May 30, 2007 7:43 am

Yeah, an Effectron would kick a*s. The Effectron III has more coolness than the II: an Infinite Loop button, and (if I remember right) envelope control of the delay time.

How 'bout a Lexicon Vortex? (two links there) It's a weirdo effect that often gets overlooked because it's just so damn odd. Think of it as two delays, plus one or two modulating sections, that all feed back and feed into one another, and change depending on how loud you play. I hadn't been able to play with one since the 90s, and really missed it. So, one night, Rock 'n Rye (you bastard, tallow!) and Ebay and... well... a Vortex showed up at my door a week later. I haven't gotten to dive into it, but a control pedal is kinda essential. Well no, but that's where a lot of the weirdness lies. I got mine for US$165, so not too far outta your price range. Maybe coulda got it for less, but emailed the guy asking him what he wanted, so as to avoid the hassle of auction s**t.

Whammy pedals are fun, too. Especially fun to put it in "octave down" mode and record through it onto your 4-track at half speed. Then, when you turn the pitch back up, the recorded pitch is normal, but the s**t is playing twice as fast. It's f**k hilarious to record a drumbeat, then go to half-speed mode and pass the mic around coming up with s**t improvised vocals. Turn the s**t to normal speed, and you sound like a speed-crazed rapper, rhyming and stumbling at super-human velocity. And really, doesn't everybody want that? You can also record super-fast subliminal speech to load into your sampler, or do it the other way around (double-speed first, with Octave Up mode) then slow to half speed and listen to your singing or chanting become long drawn-out drones. (or Two Octaves up, slow to half speed, then play back through Whammy in Octave Down mode for correct pitch, stretched time and maximum glitchiness.)

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Postby ewblank » Wed May 30, 2007 1:17 pm

If you're not dead set on the "pedal" aspect - I'd highly recommend and Alesis Ineko - although it's more of a desk-top multi-effect than an actual "pedal" - it is loads of fun. (edit: I see on your other post that you already have one of these - oops)

And if you want to go completely pedal-insane, check out these guys:

http://www.noisefx.com

Tons of whacked-out crazy pedals, alot of them hand made - and still under $150.

cheers,
ew
Synths and gear I own: Juno-6, Moog Rouge, Yamaha FB-01, Boss DR-110 & TR-505, Casio SK-1, Yamaha AN200, Roland D2, Korg ER-1, various mini-kybds and home-made circuit bent thingies.
ewblank

Postby haricots » Wed May 30, 2007 3:01 pm

Why not get the ultimate shitty BBD delay - Realistic Reverb (they go for $10 - $50 usually). I'm having mine gutted and put into a box with knobs instead of cheapo sliders.
haricots

Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Postby Zonkout » Wed May 30, 2007 3:21 pm

Ibanez HD-1000 or HD-1500. Cheap eighties rack effect that does pitch shifting/harmonizing and delay--both with modulation.

The Digitech Multiplay is a similar cheap 80's source of weirdness. You can make a short loop with it and then turn it into a cascading pitch. It also does nice flanging, delay, and chorus for when you are in a normal mood.

Both of these effects have been awarded the Seal of Annoyance by my roommates.
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Postby tallowwaters » Wed May 30, 2007 9:19 pm

Cruel Hoax wrote:Whammy pedals are fun, too. Especially fun to put it in "octave down" mode and record through it onto your 4-track at half speed. Then, when you turn the pitch back up, the recorded pitch is normal, but the s**t is playing twice as fast. It's f**k hilarious to record a drumbeat, then go to half-speed mode and pass the mic around coming up with s**t improvised vocals. Turn the s**t to normal speed, and you sound like a speed-crazed rapper, rhyming and stumbling at super-human velocity. And really, doesn't everybody want that? You can also record super-fast subliminal speech to load into your sampler, or do it the other way around (double-speed first, with Octave Up mode) then slow to half speed and listen to your singing or chanting become long drawn-out drones. (or Two Octaves up, slow to half speed, then play back through Whammy in Octave Down mode for correct pitch, stretched time and maximum glitchiness.)-Hoax

its like you live in the ceiling of my studio...

even more fun is to involve a handheld tape recorder/sampler/4 track/octave pedal/etc. here is one recipe that only us weird bastards will like.

find the junkiest tape you can. i mean the one that you recorded "insane in the membrane" back in 94. and the one you taped bone thugs over later on. later on you used it to record some extended jam of you beating on gas tank and yodeling, then you recorded in the 4 track so it just put a backwards violin part on it. you need at least 6 layers on top of each other on that tape. it had better be stretch to h**l, slack, and almost dead. bonus points if the cassette is broke in half and you melted it back together with a lighter. now put that in you little handheld tape recorder.

now, turn on some amps, radios, appliances, have your friends chant, beat on things, etc. now play your drum track through whatever. say your lyrics to the normal rhythm. you have to get up into the cassette recorders mic. try to use plosives and spit, slobber, slurs ssss, mumble, growl those lyrics.

now turn the 4 track speed control all the way down. plug in from the headphone out the tape recorder and press play. now, hold down fast forward while you are playing back your vocal sample.

now crank the speed up, and record into your pc. shouldnt sound like anything but fast garbage. now convert it 48 khz and save it as a wav. now play it back 22 khz and record it at record it at 48 khz.

no go from your headphone out to a lo fi sampler. vss30, sk1, whatever. by now your 20 second vocal sample should be about 6 seconds long, tops. find the right key that plays it back at the right rhythm. now run it out into a octave/pitch shifter pitched way up, back into the 4 track with the speed rolled down, the out with speed rolled up into your sample.

you get the point. it really just degrades the h**l out of the sound, while containing a tonal consistency, or even a time based consitency if you can find the sweet spots...

and thanks for all the recs, everybody. enjoying the idea of self oscilatting feedback delay pedals.
tallowwaters

Postby Zonkout » Wed May 30, 2007 10:39 pm

You like tape?
A few of my friends are into this educational tape player called a language master. It is sort of a tape sampler that was made by a few different companies for language labs. They are easy to find on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Audiotronics-Tutorette-Language-Master-800B-Vintage_W0QQitemZ330125083001QQihZ014QQcategoryZ15053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These machines play cards with magnetic tape embossed on them. My friends make their own cards using VHS tape and poster board. You can record two tracks and switch between the two manually during playback. You can move the tape back and forth over the play head for weird scratching sounds or play it backwards. You can also make tape loops for it. Most of the ones I have seen have mic inputs, but also built-in mics.
Anyhow, it is a pretty weird unit and lots of fun to play with.
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Postby mr_m0nks » Wed May 30, 2007 11:09 pm

tallowwaters i just have to hear some of your music!!

(checking listening lounge now, see if you have anything up)
Alesis Ion, Korg Poly800II, Akai S1000, CommodoreC64, Nintendo Gameboy and various software Synths.
http://www.myspace.com/thesilentjihad

Listening to far to much Yazoo
mr_m0nks

Postby tallowwaters » Thu May 31, 2007 2:27 am

hoax - just listened to those demos at andybutler and they are superb. (though i am sure i will have ebay competition should i decide to go all the way on this one after such a glowing endorsement)

zonkout - that is really cool. you wouldnt happen to know where some mp3 samples of this might be... i have done lots of experiments similar to this (f**k with tape while moving, homemade frippertronics c**p, etc). thanks for pointing it out. (but to answer your question - i only like tape as a toy, not anything i have to depend on ; )

mr monks - thanks. one day i will actually post something, much to the disappointment of all those that have suffered my protracted posts about my music. ;)

i finally pulled the trigger on a boss vt1. overpriced bastard it is, but i have wanted one for years, the knife's 'silent shout' cd being stuck in my car finally pushing me over the edge.

really thinking about a(nother) slow volume, mxr bluebox, the frequency analyzer, and the vortex (as the effectron seems a little trickier to find)

anybody wanna trade for an esi sampler? :lol:

oh, and ewblank - i have 2 inekos...planning on owning six...

what i would do for a hardware version of this - http://illformed.org/glitch/ or some of the more useful jack dark stuff.
tallowwaters

Postby Cruel Hoax » Thu May 31, 2007 7:21 am

Oh yeah, I forgot about one: the EF-303! (Boss/Roland) It's got standard effects, vocoder (with built-in synth!) bitcrusher, filter, etc. But one parameter can be sequenced with those 16 sliders, so your signal can pulse frum bitcrushed to normal, to half-weird, all synced to clock or your finger tap. Hella fun (and those sliders send MIDI, too!)

I'm gonna Mitch ya a little bit here and talk about one I've never owned: the Digitech Space Station. Weird effects, and whammy-style rocker pedal to control the freakouts.

tallow, you are a f**k madman. Whatr kind of f**k world is it when we aren't already making music together? I need to figure out some way to collaborate. h**l, maybe just sending you a bunch of WAV files or something...

You're gonna love the VT-1; it's a cool-ass box. I wired one into a telephone handpiece (this was when I was answering the phones in the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant). I originally did it to impersonate one of my co-workers (who didn't speak English and needed my help to get her drivers' license transferred to this state.) But I left it in place after I was done, and started answering the phone in a troll voice, or a munchkin voice, or whatever. I'd answer the phone with a woman's voice, acting all flirtatious and sweet, and over the course of the phone call, I'd slowly lower the pitch until I was obviously a dude with a deep bass voice. f**k hysterical!

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Next

Return to Sound Production