The death of analogue

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

The death of analogue

Postby Taxidermy » Thu May 31, 2007 9:37 am

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... tml?page=1

This is where it starts. When musicians have their studio desk as more than just a tool to hold their equipment. Wireless midi through one of these from your midi controller, which will also be flexible. Expect these to be accessible to most consumers by 2009. Watch everyone sell half their studio to have them by the end of the year if they do end up in stores then.

I know people are going to say that it will never happen. I am just going to say this: watch it happen.
Taxidermy

Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Postby Taxidermy » Thu May 31, 2007 9:40 am

I am going to defend myself before I get flamed. I don't believe this is a suitable replacement for analogue, and I will not be one of the people who try to embrace it. I am just making an observation.
Taxidermy

Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Postby clubbedtodeath » Thu May 31, 2007 9:40 am

Off Topic.
clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Postby Taxidermy » Thu May 31, 2007 9:43 am

If your going to bump it somewhere, wouldn't software be more suitable?
Taxidermy

Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Postby clubbedtodeath » Thu May 31, 2007 9:49 am

Taxidermy wrote:If your going to bump it somewhere, wouldn't software be more suitable?

Next time, put it in the right forum yourself: saves me guessing where to put it.
clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Postby Taxidermy » Thu May 31, 2007 9:54 am

Well, I thought thats what I was doing. I didn't think that discussing analogue synthesizers was strictly related to specific synthesizers, but also trends and such. I apologize if I ended up doing something wrong. Its been a bad night.
Taxidermy

Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Postby clubbedtodeath » Thu May 31, 2007 10:05 am

Taxidermy wrote:Its been a bad night.

No worries. I drank too many beers yesterday, smoked several Dunhills, and got up today at 6am. You can imagine I might feel a tad grouchy today.
clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Postby Soundwave » Thu May 31, 2007 11:08 am

You can also get theses in the shops now (if you haven't already seen it).

http://www.jazzmutant.com/
Soundwave

Postby metrosonus » Thu May 31, 2007 1:29 pm

that thing isn't going anywhere until they merge flexible LCD technology with touchscreens. I call it an excellent prototype or mock up but not an end item. I agree that the next major revoloution with computers will be interfaces, but the end of analog? Not hardly, you still need software to run it, which it would act as a controller for hardware or software.

You can't lug one of those things to gigs, and no faimly is going to want to have thanksgiving dinner around one of those things... It needs to be portable bottom line. It's exciting, but overhyped. It reminds me of those 70's home video game system boxes where the kid is playing breakout on the box, and the family is like gathered around the tv pumping their fists in the air like "aw f**k yea!!!!".

If I say so myself I think were going to see a merging of projected technology, much like those lazer keyboards. I think we'll see portable units that you can place on a desk, in full color that will work much like the touch table, and well also see multiple units you can place around your house that will be connected to one home media network. that way you can read the news right from your table at breakfast, or watch tv or contronl internet radio from anywall...
metrosonus

Postby steveman » Thu May 31, 2007 1:58 pm

Absolutely nothing new in that MSFT demo, there's been demos going around like that for at least the last 2 years. Just because MS have leapt on it won't make it a success. Let's face it, they haven't had a real success in the marketplace since Windows and Office.
By the way, starting price on this is $5,000, hardly a 'consumer. device.

One thing in regards to music use - NO tactile feedback, you need to look at it rather than listen, not good IMHO. There are some interesting new interfaces coming along, but this ain't it.

Can't see what it's got to do with analogue synths at all.
As for people rushing out to buy them, don't regard myself as a luddite but really can't see what I'd use it for.
steveman

Postby jasedee » Thu May 31, 2007 2:20 pm

I think it's incredible.... technology is moving at such an amazing pace

I'd certainly have one propped up between my monitors, looking at a sequencer and virtual mixer. Of course I would still be recording through my analogue chain, so... death of analogue? Me thinks not.
l::l CS-10 l::l DX7 mkIIFD l::l Motif Rack l::l D-50 l::l Juno 60 l::l Virus Rack XL l::l ER-1mkII l::l TR-707 l::l MC-303

MYSPACE
jasedee

Postby piRoN » Thu May 31, 2007 2:28 pm

That's to analogue what the steering wheel was to pasteurisation.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11
piRoN

Gear: A fair bit.

Re: The death of analogue

Postby OggeOJ » Thu May 31, 2007 3:24 pm

Taxidermy wrote:http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4217348.html?page=1

This is where it starts. When musicians have their studio desk as more than just a tool to hold their equipment. Wireless midi through one of these from your midi controller, which will also be flexible. Expect these to be accessible to most consumers by 2009. Watch everyone sell half their studio to have them by the end of the year if they do end up in stores then.

I know people are going to say that it will never happen. I am just going to say this: watch it happen.

I also thought so before I had a chance to really get in touch with old moog/dotcom systems.

No, CV is nicer than midi exept that midi is more handy.
yeah, im also obsessed with it.
OggeOJ

Postby shaft9000 » Thu May 31, 2007 4:29 pm

progress is an illusion

there's nothing new under the sun

the DX7 was supposed to kill off analog, but here we are with more new analog synthesizers than ever before

it's about virtues, not "better than this, better than that"

people are so f**k competetive-minded it just may do us all in, the way things have been going. we either get off this planet or we'll destroy it first.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Postby Taxidermy » Thu May 31, 2007 4:46 pm

shaft9000 wrote:progress is an illusion

there's nothing new under the sun

the DX7 was supposed to kill off analog, but here we are with more new analog synthesizers than ever before

it's about virtues, not "better than this, better than that"

people are so f**k competetive-minded it just may do us all in, the way things have been going. we either get off this planet or we'll destroy it first.

It did kill off analogue. Analogue had a revival.
Taxidermy

Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Next

Return to Sound Production