The death of analogue

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:19 am

i_watch_stars wrote:Common hasn't this been rehashed enough? What new can anyone add to this neverending debate? Also isn't this off topic...?

Sigh....
We are not discussing the general death of analogue. We are discussing its death due to cost effective multi touch computer interfaces and wireless connectivity.

AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:48 am

Taxidermy wrote:
i_watch_stars wrote:Common hasn't this been rehashed enough? What new can anyone add to this neverending debate? Also isn't this off topic...?

Sigh....
We are not discussing the general death of analogue. We are discussing its death due to cost effective multi touch computer interfaces and wireless connectivity.
Thanks to the large group of synth geeks and the pure sweet sound of analog I don't see a death to it any time in the near future. IMO when real analog dies then hardware synthesis as a whole takes a huge shot to the face.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:49 am

I dont this has much application for music as anyone who's automated plug-ins on a trackpad can relate; although the Lemur looks pretty cool in a MAX/MSP environment kinda way, But I do think it would be very useful for graphic design in the way tablets have- Still I agree its a scale thing, I work @ a cafe once in a while and they have a touchscreen register- then I go home and sit in front of my laptop and think- god that would be cool... So bring on the touchscreen macbooks!
sell me your KS5!

Taxidermy
Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Post by Taxidermy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:17 am

AudiosEnvy wrote:Thanks to the large group of synth geeks and the pure sweet sound of analog I don't see a death to it any time in the near future. IMO when real analog dies then hardware synthesis as a whole takes a huge shot to the face.
Thats just it. I think we are on the last legs of hardware synthesis at the moment, at least from a marketing standpoint. But its going to get to the point where the quality difference between a minimoog model d and a software version of it will be practically indistinguishable. Not only because the technology is changing, but also because the audience is. Of course, the majority of the people who talk here on a regular basis will continue to do so about synthesizers and gear. Its the other people will loose interest.

Modeling technology is getting better. Interface technology is getting better. Next they will need to create intelligent re-texturizing and malleable surfacing. Its not that far off. Ten years ago, nobody would have believed they could make something nearly as powerful as the average household computer in the palm of your hand, include a cellular phone and a touchscreen, and give it enough memory to hold gigabytes of data, and be accessible to the average consumer.

Ten years ago, nobody would have conceived that software sampling would have pushed the hardware sampler to the strictly hobbyist market.[/i]

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:46 pm

It may lose popularity again, but it will always be here. Kind of like vinyl records should of been long dead decades ago. As long as there are people who care about quality of sound and quality of product, analog will be here.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:10 pm

Taxidermy wrote: Not only because the technology is changing, but also because the audience is. Of course, the majority of the people who talk here on a regular basis will continue to do so about synthesizers and gear. Its the other people will loose interest. [/i]
before I comment on this .. I wanna see if I missed something ... wtf does this mean? Who are the "other people" ?
Last edited by JUGEL on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:20 pm

Taxidermy wrote:Ten years ago, nobody would have conceived that software sampling would have pushed the hardware sampler to the strictly hobbyist market.[/i]
... so Herbert is a hobbyist? What is your context here? You're not making sense yet making typical statements. Are you fighting for the skinny ADD 19 year old white college kid that makes music for free on his laptop? Or the bald fat guy running his professional protools studio and staying on the cutting edge? Speaking of which. How about analog compressors? You think those will go away anytime soon?

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:56 pm

metrosonus wrote:short range induction... they're already making mats that you can put your laptop and stufff on and it'll charge everything wirelessly.
At the sake of asking a stupid question...

Induction works upon the principle of creating a voltage across a conductor in a *magnetic field*. Would not the magnetic field potentially be harmful to magnetic-based storage devices, such as laptop hard drives?

In such a case, it would seem to me that solid state memory-based computers--such as the ultra-mobile laptops that are being announced nowadays--would be immune and therefore able to use this technology; however, traditional magnetic-based devices would not.

Cheers.

WD

P.S. Of course, I base these questions and my conclusion wholly upon gut instinct without actually having run through any calculations to determine the actual strength of the magnetic field or knowing such factors as the charging values, distance between the inductors and hard drives, etc. So, take my concerns with a grain of salt.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:01 pm

What does an advanced computer with a touch screen interface have to do with an analogue synth?

Wireless audio on my synths? No thanks, from what I've used of wi-fi it's incredibly unreliable and a hassle to keep always working.

If the Moog LP is selling well in this day and age of accurately modelled VAs, do you really think analogue is going to lose favour? I doubt it myself.

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:25 pm

Technologies, such as UWB over a PAN, do not suffer the same shortcomings as more pervasive wireless technologies, such as 802.11x.

Cheers.

WD

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:50 pm

Dear Mods,
Please, please put this into Off Topic. Sound Production is otherwise free of the lame threads that plague General.
virb.com/ookpikk

Jason13

Post by Jason13 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:06 am

I'm not lugging a bloody table to a gig! :wink:

Seriously though, when they invented the electric guitar was it the death of the acoustic?

Did organs kill off the piano?

Leisure based technologies are always going to be subject to cyclical fashion trends. Sure Analogue is on the rise right now, but in a few years the kids will move onto something else, until someone "REDISCOVERS" the Analogue sound and then we will be back to where we are now! It's the circle of life!

For my part I am getting a Moog LP SE soon, so the question is will I give up my Analogue hardware for a fancy table?

"From my cold dead hands!" :lol:

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:54 am

WDW wrote:Technologies, such as UWB over a PAN, do not suffer the same shortcomings as more pervasive wireless technologies, such as 802.11x.

Cheers.

WD
Ah, bingo. In our house we had 802.11g on the wireless network cards a while back (they were Belkin ones so not exactly cheap rubbish!) and we had so many problems that we just went back to cable eventually.

It's untidy of course, but cheap, reliable and MUCH more secure than wireless if you don't know anything about data encryption, which I personally don't.

If they'll be using a new form of wireless technology that I can rely on then I see where you are coming from.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:00 am

Also, understand this. I bet I'm not alone. I want software to replace analog... it would make things so much easier.... and also it would make the demand for old beat up classics so low that I could just snag them up..

But it just has not happened yet... I'll believe it when I see it.

pelican

Post by pelican » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:57 am

I don't understand why people are impressed with this coffee table device? One it's huge, and 2 it's expensive. I mean the iphone is basically a handheld portable computer and is much more impressive.