The death of analogue

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Postby OriginalJambo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:17 am

pelican wrote:I don't understand why people are impressed with this coffee table device? One it's huge, and 2 it's expensive. I mean the iphone is basically a handheld portable computer and is much more impressive.

And the iPhone isn't expensive for what it is?

PDA phones have been around for a good while - I don't think there's anything terribly special about the iPhone myself that justifies its price-tag.
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Check my sig

Postby Tardis » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:31 am

Analogue will never die...
"When natural inclination develops into a passionate desire, one advances towards his goal in seven-league boots." ~Nikola Tesla~
Tardis

Postby brian.only » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:21 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:Dear Mods,
Please, please put this into Off Topic. Sound Production is otherwise free of the lame threads that plague General.

+1

This should probly be in OT.
sell me your KS5!
brian.only

Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Got Butter?

Postby Motavis » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:06 am

Someone move this to off topic so i can post on it :D
ImageImage
Motavis

Postby pelican » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:55 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
pelican wrote:I don't understand why people are impressed with this coffee table device? One it's huge, and 2 it's expensive. I mean the iphone is basically a handheld portable computer and is much more impressive.

And the iPhone isn't expensive for what it is?

PDA phones have been around for a good while - I don't think there's anything terribly special about the iPhone myself that justifies its price-tag.

Maybe it's a little expensive, but what mac product isn't? The iphone is not a pda it's basically a mini-mac. It runs off of osx, has safari internet, and u can load any mac application onto it so it's basically a handheld full function computer.
pelican

Postby AudiosEnvy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:17 am

Taxidermy wrote:
AudiosEnvy wrote:Thanks to the large group of synth geeks and the pure sweet sound of analog I don't see a death to it any time in the near future. IMO when real analog dies then hardware synthesis as a whole takes a huge shot to the face.

Thats just it. I think we are on the last legs of hardware synthesis at the moment, at least from a marketing standpoint. But its going to get to the point where the quality difference between a minimoog model d and a software version of it will be practically indistinguishable. Not only because the technology is changing, but also because the audience is. Of course, the majority of the people who talk here on a regular basis will continue to do so about synthesizers and gear. Its the other people will loose interest.

Modeling technology is getting better. Interface technology is getting better. Next they will need to create intelligent re-texturizing and malleable surfacing. Its not that far off. Ten years ago, nobody would have believed they could make something nearly as powerful as the average household computer in the palm of your hand, include a cellular phone and a touchscreen, and give it enough memory to hold gigabytes of data, and be accessible to the average consumer.

Ten years ago, nobody would have conceived that software sampling would have pushed the hardware sampler to the strictly hobbyist market.[/i]

Yes and no. Professional facilities will never go completely software. It just isn't possible. With that said, most serious producers have some type of hardware as well. Hardware will be here to stay... will it be as strong as it was 5 - 10 years ago? Of course not. Computers are just way too powerful and intuitive to pass up for CERTAIN studio tasks. For me, and many others though, synthesis will always be hardware. h**l, even my sampling and sequencing are still done by all hardware.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]
AudiosEnvy

Postby Taxidermy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:15 am

To address the lame threads comments, it doesn't belong in off topic. If it were about my wife or a brand of milk, then maybe. But I think Sound Production is a perfect place for it because it is a discussion about an interface for musical applications that is not strictly a sampler, a vintage synth or a soft synth. A thread is only as lame as the content you add to it. I will agree though, that posting in a discussion about how lame a discussion is lame is a pretty lame thing to do, so maybe just your comments can be put in off topic.
Taxidermy

Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Postby Taxidermy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:19 am

I don't see why some people take threads like this personally. I like talking about the direction that things are going just as much as I like talking about where things have been. Personally, I think that one of those conversations relies upon content from the other.
Taxidermy

Gear: Little Fatty
Mopho
TX81z
Ion
Casio Rapman

Postby Mr Rich » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:09 pm

Well someone moved it here, which seems sensible, but if I read any more unconstructive comments, I'll simply delete them. This is a reasonable discussion, particularly where production is concerned. Anyone who says that analogue is dead, may like to consider the fact that over 80% of US number one records are mixed analogue on SSL.

You can argue about the future, but not about the present.
Mr Rich
(Eventually tired of Clint.)
Mr Rich

Gear: Excessive.

Postby AudiosEnvy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:32 pm

I think peolpe are mistaking a discussion for an argument. I am discussing, if anyone wants to argue back, then please be my guest. But to sit here and b***h about where a good topic is sitting is just childish. If you have nothing to say then look elsewhere.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]
AudiosEnvy

Postby crystalmsc » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:56 pm

Tardis wrote:Analogue will never die...

it's a spirit, we can't kill the spirit..the body may die, but not the spirit :wink:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby Soundwave » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:36 pm

Analogue isn’t just about the interface which is sort of the point that’s I thinks been missed initially on this post but for something more relevant to the concept of touch screen synths if you haven't already seen it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-Rhyop ... ed&search=

It kinda makes the Orb’s Top of the Pop’s chess playing piss take for the Blue Room single more a vision of the future. 8)
Soundwave

Postby wiss » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:43 am

there is a software interface that runs on a flat screen

[url]jazzmutant.com[/url]

also a new analog moduar company to start up

[url]mawzer.com[/url]
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Previous

Return to Sound Production