Page 1 of 4

The death of analogue

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:37 am
by Taxidermy
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... tml?page=1

This is where it starts. When musicians have their studio desk as more than just a tool to hold their equipment. Wireless midi through one of these from your midi controller, which will also be flexible. Expect these to be accessible to most consumers by 2009. Watch everyone sell half their studio to have them by the end of the year if they do end up in stores then.

I know people are going to say that it will never happen. I am just going to say this: watch it happen.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:40 am
by Taxidermy
I am going to defend myself before I get flamed. I don't believe this is a suitable replacement for analogue, and I will not be one of the people who try to embrace it. I am just making an observation.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:40 am
by clubbedtodeath
Off Topic.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:43 am
by Taxidermy
If your going to bump it somewhere, wouldn't software be more suitable?

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:49 am
by clubbedtodeath
Taxidermy wrote:If your going to bump it somewhere, wouldn't software be more suitable?
Next time, put it in the right forum yourself: saves me guessing where to put it.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:54 am
by Taxidermy
Well, I thought thats what I was doing. I didn't think that discussing analogue synthesizers was strictly related to specific synthesizers, but also trends and such. I apologize if I ended up doing something wrong. Its been a bad night.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:05 am
by clubbedtodeath
Taxidermy wrote:Its been a bad night.
No worries. I drank too many beers yesterday, smoked several Dunhills, and got up today at 6am. You can imagine I might feel a tad grouchy today.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:08 am
by Soundwave
You can also get theses in the shops now (if you haven't already seen it).

http://www.jazzmutant.com/

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:29 pm
by metrosonus
that thing isn't going anywhere until they merge flexible LCD technology with touchscreens. I call it an excellent prototype or mock up but not an end item. I agree that the next major revoloution with computers will be interfaces, but the end of analog? Not hardly, you still need software to run it, which it would act as a controller for hardware or software.

You can't lug one of those things to gigs, and no faimly is going to want to have thanksgiving dinner around one of those things... It needs to be portable bottom line. It's exciting, but overhyped. It reminds me of those 70's home video game system boxes where the kid is playing breakout on the box, and the family is like gathered around the tv pumping their fists in the air like "aw f**k yea!!!!".

If I say so myself I think were going to see a merging of projected technology, much like those lazer keyboards. I think we'll see portable units that you can place on a desk, in full color that will work much like the touch table, and well also see multiple units you can place around your house that will be connected to one home media network. that way you can read the news right from your table at breakfast, or watch tv or contronl internet radio from anywall...

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:58 pm
by steveman
Absolutely nothing new in that MSFT demo, there's been demos going around like that for at least the last 2 years. Just because MS have leapt on it won't make it a success. Let's face it, they haven't had a real success in the marketplace since Windows and Office.
By the way, starting price on this is $5,000, hardly a 'consumer. device.

One thing in regards to music use - NO tactile feedback, you need to look at it rather than listen, not good IMHO. There are some interesting new interfaces coming along, but this ain't it.

Can't see what it's got to do with analogue synths at all.
As for people rushing out to buy them, don't regard myself as a luddite but really can't see what I'd use it for.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:20 pm
by jasedee
I think it's incredible.... technology is moving at such an amazing pace

I'd certainly have one propped up between my monitors, looking at a sequencer and virtual mixer. Of course I would still be recording through my analogue chain, so... death of analogue? Me thinks not.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:28 pm
by piRoN
That's to analogue what the steering wheel was to pasteurisation.

Re: The death of analogue

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:24 pm
by OggeOJ
Taxidermy wrote:http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... tml?page=1

This is where it starts. When musicians have their studio desk as more than just a tool to hold their equipment. Wireless midi through one of these from your midi controller, which will also be flexible. Expect these to be accessible to most consumers by 2009. Watch everyone sell half their studio to have them by the end of the year if they do end up in stores then.

I know people are going to say that it will never happen. I am just going to say this: watch it happen.
I also thought so before I had a chance to really get in touch with old moog/dotcom systems.

No, CV is nicer than midi exept that midi is more handy.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:29 pm
by shaft9000
progress is an illusion

there's nothing new under the sun

the DX7 was supposed to kill off analog, but here we are with more new analog synthesizers than ever before

it's about virtues, not "better than this, better than that"

people are so f**k competetive-minded it just may do us all in, the way things have been going. we either get off this planet or we'll destroy it first.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:46 pm
by Taxidermy
shaft9000 wrote:progress is an illusion

there's nothing new under the sun

the DX7 was supposed to kill off analog, but here we are with more new analog synthesizers than ever before

it's about virtues, not "better than this, better than that"

people are so f**k competetive-minded it just may do us all in, the way things have been going. we either get off this planet or we'll destroy it first.
It did kill off analogue. Analogue had a revival.