Ghetto Talk bottle

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Ghetto Talk bottle

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:49 pm

Anyone here seen that YouTube video where that Moot Booxle guy makes a talkbox out of stuff just lying around? I did the same and here are the results.

Image Image

As you can see it's just a crappy 5W computer speaker inside a used Pepsi bottle top that's been cut off and taped to a CD case with a length of shower pipe (the ones you stick onto taps!) for the sound to travel down.

Here's what it sounds like when used with the Octave Cat.

Anyone else made something similar? Had more success than me? My creation is pretty low-fi but it's still a blast to play with.

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:53 pm

Even John B would struggle to breathe that hard.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:04 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:Even John B would struggle to breathe that hard.
I have a cold and the speaker can't push enough air to get a decent signal so I was pretty much touching the mic half the time. Plus it's kinda hard to play with two hands and hold the pipe and mic at the same time.

Why don't you give it a try? :lol:

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:16 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:Why don't you give it a try?
I would, but I don't have enough phlegm.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:26 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:I would, but I don't have enough phlegm.
Ah, but you don't have a ghetto talkbox either do you? So it's a moot point really.

WDW

Post by WDW » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:45 pm

Hmm. Looks awfully suspiciously like...

WD

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:54 pm

WDW wrote:Hmm. Looks awfully suspiciously like...

Well I don't think a 5W speaker would do you much good. :lol:

Also air comes OUT of it - doesn't go in. ;)

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:57 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:Ah, but you don't have a reconstructed suction pump either do you?
This is true.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:06 pm

Oscar Wilde wrote:The price is right.
clubbedtodeath wrote:Ah, you got me there
I always wanted to know that, you know...

So ANYWAY - guess nobody else is bored/brave/resourceful enough to put a shitty old PC speaker to good use. More accessible than a vocoder let me tell you.

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:09 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:So ANYWAY - guess nobody else is bored/brave/resourceful enough to put a shitty old PC speaker to good use. More accessible than a vocoder let me tell you.
To be honest, it did sound good, right up until *COUGH COUGH SNIFF*.

In these new Sennheisers, Christ that made me jump. It's like something dripping mucus directly into your ear.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:15 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:To be honest, it did sound good, right up until *COUGH COUGH SNIFF*.

In these new Sennheisers, Christ that made me jump. It's like something dripping mucus directly into your ear.
Yeah, compression probably made that worse as well and I really need a more powerful driver to be honest. Maybe I should have put a warning up, but I got lazy.

But hey, it if sounds a'ight then I'm enough chuffed. A blast to tinker with too.

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:42 pm

Yes, it did sound good (snottery antics notwithstanding) -- yet two things bothered me.

1) Reverb induced by the pipe

2) External noises

I reckon 1) is due to the material the pipe's made out of -- shower pipe will reverberate with the sound and give you your, erm, reverb. A pipe made out of stiffer, stronger material might work better here.

With 2), I think that the Pepsi bottle and CD case might be to blame. Being thin and plastic, they're not going to insulate against sound very well. Covering it with masking tape might help, since you'd be thickening the exterior as well as stiffening the structures slightly; this may help shut out higher frequencies especially.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:55 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:Yes, it did sound good (snottery antics notwithstanding) -- yet two things bothered me.

1) Reverb induced by the pipe

2) External noises

I reckon 1) is due to the material the pipe's made out of -- shower pipe will reverberate with the sound and give you your, erm, reverb. A pipe made out of stiffer, stronger material might work better here.

With 2), I think that the Pepsi bottle and CD case might be to blame. Being thin and plastic, they're not going to insulate against sound very well. Covering it with masking tape might help, since you'd be thickening the exterior as well as stiffening the structures slightly; this may help shut out higher frequencies especially.
Oh, I added external reverb - I should have said that too. :P

1) I don't think the pipe is wide enough for much reflection to affect the signal, however the other alternative was garden hose which might have fared a bit better. The guy in the video used vinyl tubing - couldn't seem to find that in Homebase though.

2) As for masking taping the whole thing it probably would help quite a bit. I chose to dampen it with a towel for the time being. It's quite handy to be able to see inside though as sometimes the end of the tube makes contact with the loudspeaker and that isn't good.

I really think a more powerful speaker would solve a lot of problems though. Too bad it's the only one I had lying around.

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:19 am

OriginalJambo wrote:I don't think the pipe is wide enough for much reflection to affect the signal, however the other alternative was garden hose which might have fared a bit better. The guy in the video used vinyl tubing - couldn't seem to find that in Homebase though.
You'll get several modes of vibration in the pipe -- some lengthwise, some horizontal (cross-section) modes too. I reckon thick rubber hose pipe might do well; better than plastic, anyway.

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:58 am

It looks even more suspiciously like a vaporizer... Which you can also make in such a ghetto, homebrew-style way.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)