Feedback loops

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Feedback loops

Postby Alex Mnemonic » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:26 pm

That's right. Feedback loops. What feedback loops do you use, is it dangerous, and what should one watch out for? I want to experiment with them, but lack knowledge and don't want to hurt my precioussses. I did try one between my RS-09's chorus and my Farfisa Polychrome's phaser, though. Only got a strange thumping sound out of it.

I want to hear every thought you have on the matter.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Alex Mnemonic

Gear: A dancing foetus.

Postby jayman » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:44 pm

i have a boss feedbacker.. works great..
i've also run one of the outputs of my dod flanger back into it, through a delay.. just tap the plug and away we go..
i totally dig how our ears can hear all this s**t and and we don't even do like half of it with normal instruments, and then all we gotta do is hook a speaker up to some circuits and move those circuits around and we can push our hearing to it's limits
jayman

Location: casa de freakin oro california, jewel of the east county
Gear: juno106, juno60, tr 707, sh-1000, volca bass/beats microkorg, arp odyssey (mk 1), drumtraks, mopho, microbrute, zoom tr3b, cz 3000, kurzwiel k2600,
Band: PHAEDRIDER

Postby dthestampede » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:03 pm

www.noisefanatics.com

go to gear forum,check the f.a.q.'s first. start askin second :wink:
I am infected with noises in my brain, the sound of pain and it is constant. Soon I will release music so horrible that hopefully you too will be infected. Slayer, wolf eyes, johnny cash, justin timberlake f**king rock!
dthestampede

Postby Alex Mnemonic » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:57 pm

I always tell other people to google. Forgot to do so myself this time. Let me rephrase the question:

What kind of feedback loops do you use?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Alex Mnemonic

Gear: A dancing foetus.

Postby altemark » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:08 pm

I use feedback loops between my 3 80's digital rack delays. All of them distort and colour the sound in a different way, so mixing them makes for some dynamic washes of sound.
altemark

Postby ewblank » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:36 am

I used to be the "electronics" half of an experimental duo. Here are some of the configurations I was using at the time:

Mixer's AUX sent > Boss DD3 delay > open channel on the mixer for a f/b loop of any combination of mixer channels

Mixer's AUX sent > Alesis Ineko > open channel on the mixer for a f/b loop of any combination of mixer channels

An old Realistic Reverb with a cable connecting the RCA OUT to the IN for squealing walls of controllable feedback.

Arion SAD3 analog delay with one of the stereo OUTs plugged back to the IN

Effect loop containing: DOD Fuzz > any Chorus pedal > DOD Gonkulator > DOD Meatbox effected out > back to the IN of the Fuzz (this is the only configuration where I fried a pedal an old Omnifex chorus - although it was most likely the power supply and not the signal that did the damage)

Effect loop containing: DOD Corrosion distortion > MXR Bluebox > Octaver > Zoom chorus looped through an old Realistic mixer (OUT back to IN)

As far as I know, you can't break pedals by doing any of this - just make sure you use something like a Godlyke Powerall because cheap adapters can kill pedals and other gear.

cheers,
ew
Synths and gear I own: Juno-6, Moog Rouge, Yamaha FB-01, Boss DR-110 & TR-505, Casio SK-1, Yamaha AN200, Roland D2, Korg ER-1, various mini-kybds and home-made circuit bent thingies.
ewblank

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:46 am

I do a fair bit of stuff with feedback, most things are fairly hardy and won't be broken by running really hot signals through them, but if you've got something you think is a bit fragile maybe think twice before connecting it's output to it's input. :)

Things I use:

Mixer aux send out back to channel in, sometimes through my E1010 delay or a distortion.
A radio shack 'disco mixer' just connecting the outs to the ins and playing with the faders, puts out a nice distorted square wave that you can change the frequency of by tweaking the faders.
The feedback loops built into the evolver.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby CloudOnAFly » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:13 am

I use a Audible Disease RP-1 (rupture)....works well for what i use it for. I'm still not entirely sure what the knob on it does. I tend to use it with an autowah, to give my sounds a little bit more of a edge. I ocasionally use it with my hyper fuzz, and that gives quite a nice bit of distortion.

overall, it gives some pretty neat ocasionally unpredictable effects. does best with time based effects like delay and what not...

just watch your volume in general....
...simply put..

Metasonix is the choice for all self respecting meta-humans...
(meta-humans currently known are trolls, orcs, dwarves, dragons.....)
CloudOnAFly

Postby piRoN » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:46 am

I like to put a distortion unit on one of the mixer sends, send the original signal through it and then put it back into another mixer channel with the same aux send turned up to taste. Noise gate out the feedback whistle (If you want to, that is) and revel in the filthiness!
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11
piRoN

Gear: A fair bit.

Postby sacredcow » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:35 am

Fender Rumble 60 Bass Amp- Line out to Line in active or line in passive
variables: volume, mid cut switch, bass eq, low mid eq, high mid eq, treble eq

These variables actually allow for a very, very wide range of feedback. Sometimes I get bagpipes, but it does a lot of grolwing bass very usually.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)
sacredcow

Postby Zonkout » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:10 pm

I make video feedback loops with a bunch of consumer video processors from the 90's. Like audio you can create washes of (visual) noise. The shapes and colors can be surprising and beautiful.
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Postby PitchBender » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:18 pm

i have little diddy called a passive feedback loop device. which is exactly what it is. plug a pedal into the input plug the output to another pedal, instant dirty feedback. simillair to doing a feedback loop on a mixer.

the little beige box next to the mixer. old pic.
using feeback loops with the alesis Bitrman can produce narly bass.
PitchBender

Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Postby PitchBender » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:04 am

PitchBender

Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Return to Sound Production