PC or Mac (trolls go away!!!)

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Which platform do you use

Mac
44%
PC
46%
Both
10%

Total votes: 52

mr_m0nks

PC or Mac (trolls go away!!!)

Post by mr_m0nks » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:19 pm

this is just a poll to see who uses which platform for sequencers, vsts etc

please do not turn this into a war!!! :D
Alesis Ion, Korg Poly800II, Akai S1000, CommodoreC64, Nintendo Gameboy and various software Synths.
http://www.myspace.com/thesilentjihad

Listening to far to much Yazoo

Sweetnothing

Re: PC or Mac (trolls go away!!!)

Post by Sweetnothing » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:36 pm

mr_m0nks wrote:please do not turn this into a war!!! :D
HAHAHA you're asking way too much, I voted PC because it's what I use...I'd like to get a mac though

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:58 pm

A 'both' option would be nice too, I track all my music on a Mac but use a PC for some editing programs.
Will be getting a Intel-Mac soon.
sell me your KS5!

mr_m0nks

Post by mr_m0nks » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:03 am

ok if you have both just put which is your primary system, if you use both equally then.... erm..... whichever is newest
Alesis Ion, Korg Poly800II, Akai S1000, CommodoreC64, Nintendo Gameboy and various software Synths.
http://www.myspace.com/thesilentjihad

Listening to far to much Yazoo

Motavis

a 1 2 3 b

Post by Motavis » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:31 am

A Mac eventually would be nice but I am currently dealing with Vista.
ImageImage

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:27 am

If you must know, Windows XP Professional as well as Debian Linux.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:10 am

PCs running Windows XP Professional, Windows 95, and a DOS/FreeDOS hybrid.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

translucencecs
Gear: In a transitional phase, so only:
Yamaha SY-22
Roland MC-09
Roland M-VS1
Zoom ST-224
Dubreq Stylophone
Fostex MR8

Post by translucencecs » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:42 am

Hmmm... A "Neither" option would also have added an interesting dimension - consider my vote to be for that one! :lol:

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:48 pm

You certainly get more bang for your buck with a PC tho if I was a little more flush I would have got a Mac and kept some of my hair when building/optimising my AMD dual core DAW.

I think building a PC is like beefing up a Japanese sports car which requires a little knowledge and expertise where buying a Mac is like buying a Porsche where all the performance is done for you as standard which of course comes with a higher price tag.

Although I may be proven wrong but I’ve had some serious headaches getting my set up to sync properly with external MIDI (an ongoing struggle) which I suspect is mainly down to XP as its not designed for multimedia the same way the Mac’s OS is.

All the top electronic artists I’ve seen use Mac’s or Powerbooks so there must be a good reason.

Don't get me wrong my PC gets the job done at a much cheaper cost but if I'd known the troubles that were ahead of me I would have maybe gone the other way.

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

so many cannabinoids

Post by Cruel Hoax » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:15 pm

Who the h**l uses only one or two computers in the course of daily life? And who determines what you'll run into?*

Are you a f**k pro? Well then learn your tools. Coming into a paid gig, you'll be presented with one or the other (or, perhaps, something new) Your job is to know the available equipment, and make "adjustment time" equal zero, both for you and the client. Therefore, buzzsaw is not equal to pliers, but you should know both before taking yourself seriously. More, too.

-Hoax

* I'm admin-responsible for six separate secure boxes. How do everyday folks operate?
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:47 am

Soundwave wrote:I think building a PC is like beefing up a Japanese sports car which requires a little knowledge and expertise where buying a Mac is like buying a Porsche where all the performance is done for you as standard which of course comes with a higher price tag.
You just made me cry. Comparing a Mac to a Porsche...

Damn kids today.

Fine, if you want to call a Mac a Porsche, then a PC is a Ruf, Gemballa, or TechArt!

Sincerely,

Angry Porschephile.

:P
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

primative

Post by primative » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:09 am

Wiglaf wrote:
Soundwave wrote:I think building a PC is like beefing up a Japanese sports car which requires a little knowledge and expertise where buying a Mac is like buying a Porsche where all the performance is done for you as standard which of course comes with a higher price tag.
You just made me cry. Comparing a Mac to a Porsche...

Damn kids today.

Fine, if you want to call a Mac a Porsche, then a PC is a Ruf, Gemballa, or TechArt!

Sincerely,

Angry Porschephile.

:P
I think that's a decent analogy actually. I use a macbook intel duo, and since I know I'll never be able to afford an Aston Martin, my dream car is a nice Porsche :)

I don't have the patience to supe up an Integra, and I don't have the patience to bother with the headaches of a PC based system.

I love my PC for gaming though :wink:
Whenever people agree with me I tend to feel I must be wrong.

KnowGood
No Longer Registered

Post by KnowGood » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:51 am

I'm a mac user not because I think it's better, but it has all the right programs for my uses.

I have three systems:

Blue & White G3 tower
G3 PowerBook "WallStreet" edition
eMac G4 1.25

I plan on getting a MacBook by the end of the year, and I will admit, I was afraid to make the switch to the Mac-Intel, but the time has finally come.
Last edited by KnowGood on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:10 am

G4 iBook, new iMac (whatever the specs are, I can't remember) and a PC for DOS and windows 3.0.

I used to run a PC with XP but didn'g get on with it. It was a belligerent sod. The macs are smoother, and despite years of PC use, I'm glad I switched. I got bored of the battle.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

SUBMIT DAMMIT!

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:20 pm

My PC is uber reliable, the Macs at my University aren't so maybe I'm in the minority when I say that I find the PC more robust?

Anyway the only thing that would tempt me to switch is maybe Logic. A lot of things I like about that program it has to be said.