Question about the DS-1/other distortion pedals.

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Question about the DS-1/other distortion pedals.

Postby Spaceheater184 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:32 am

So I was testing a bunch of pedals today on my 777 at a local music store and i noticed that when you turn the distortion knob all the way up or even past mid point, there gets to be a small droning synth tone that comes into the background. i recognize this as feedback, but i wanted to know if there is a way to get rid of this feedback. i don't like that little tone in back there.
Gear: Korg EMX, Yamaha CS1x.
Spaceheater184

Postby ewblank » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:37 pm

OK - I'll start off by saying I'm not an expert in this this, but here are my thoughts:

In general, distortions are signal boosters, so what might be happening is that the background tone might be coming from your 777, but you don't normally hear it until it's boosted by the distortion. To figure out if the source is your synth - plug a guitar into the same pedals an see if you still hear the tone.

Which brings up another point - pedals like the DS-1 were designed for an instument level signal, ie from a guitar. The outputs of synths tend to be stronger than the typical guitar signals. I've noticed this myself over the years that sometime a pedal that sounds great with guitar sounds crappy with a synth - but this is all trial and error. I once discovered that when I tried my Moog Rogue set to square wave with a particular Boss overdrive, the signals locked into some kind of phase that cancelled each other out and I ended up with almost complete signal loss. Like I said - trial and error.

There's also this thing called 60 cycle hum - with is typically caused by grounding issues - but that usually sounds more like a low constant buzzing, not a tone, but it could what you're hearing.

When it comes to adding effects to synths, I've found that I prefer to use a multieffect through the aux or effect send on my mixer instead of actually putting pedals in the signal path - but that's just my personal preference. All I can say is keep trying different things until you find something that works fopr you.

Judging by other posts I've read - there are some guys on here who will have better insight on this than me. Hope this was of some help, though.

cheers,
ew
Synths and gear I own: Juno-6, Moog Rouge, Yamaha FB-01, Boss DR-110 & TR-505, Casio SK-1, Yamaha AN200, Roland D2, Korg ER-1, various mini-kybds and home-made circuit bent thingies.
ewblank

Postby altemark » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:22 pm

There tends to be some oscillator leak on my FR-777, this might be what you are hearing. Amplification picks it up. I am usually not hindered by it, but the weak volume for the external in is kind of bothersome... even if the signal should be adequately hot (direct out from another synth), if one cranks up the gain or amplify externally, the oscillator bleed is noticeably.. it doesn't overpower the external in, but it sure is annoying not getting a clean signal when using the 777 as a filter box
altemark

Postby Spaceheater184 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:50 pm

I was just very curious about this because I always hear TB-303's distorted and they never have that added tone in there.
Gear: Korg EMX, Yamaha CS1x.
Spaceheater184

Return to Sound Production