USB recording with Mac OS 9.x

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

USB recording with Mac OS 9.x

Postby mildsilverbird » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:06 am

I have a Mac running OS 9.2.1 so I can use Rebirth. I also have Pro Tools FREE and Audacity loaded, amongst other things. Although it has limitations and is very behind the times, this setup is quite stable and does what I need.

I can record via the Mac's audio input without problem. However sometimes I'd like to record via USB, using a simple Behringer USB interface (1.1 compliant). Most modern interfaces (M Box etc) don't work with OS 9.

The problems:

1. When I use the USB interface, it kills the audio output from the speakers/cans. If I disconnect it, the audio returns. Bit of a problem as I can't monitor existing tracks when recording new tracks.

2. Especially in PT FREE, I can usually only record about 30 seconds of audio via USB before I get a "running out of CPU power" error. This never happens when using the audio input. Audacity behaves better, but if I stop recording a track and start recording a new track, it usually displays an error message stating that it can't find the audio input (or similar).

The Mac is a G3 500, 576Mb RAM, USB 1. Sound Manager is v3.5.x.

Any tips appreciated.
mildsilverbird

Postby wiss » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:31 pm

no firewire?

if you onlly have a USB....then try to get a hold of an Tascam US-428

I would also advise using early version of motu...seems to run best on older macs
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby mildsilverbird » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:21 am

I have two firewire ports - would firewire perform better than USB?? If so why??

By MOTU do you mean the Digital Performer software, the 828 interface or both??
mildsilverbird

Postby wiss » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:35 pm

mildsilverbird wrote:I have two firewire ports - would firewire perform better than USB?? If so why??

By MOTU do you mean the Digital Performer software, the 828 interface or both??

its faster both recieving and sending.....Firewire vs USB

the USB interface I recommend will fine and was devloped for OS9 and older window programs. Finding one may be the hardpart or not

By MOTU do you mean the Digital Performer software, the 828 interface or both?? YES

I have just found DP3/828 to be hasslle free when running older macs, less problems(infact no probems) than some of the other software I have tried with mine.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby wiss » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:42 pm

here is an ebay link for Tascam US-428
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Tascam+US-428&category0=

it will be cheaper than dp/828 and should solve your problems....
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby desdinova » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:53 am

If you've got a mixer or are just recording from synth outs (don't need the control interface of the 428) I can confirm that the bitty Tascam US-122 works a treat on my old mac.
rerum concordia discors | genre: wankery
desdinova

Postby mildsilverbird » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:56 pm

I've checked out the US-428 and read the manual - seems to support OS9 very well and can be configured as a control surface for PT Free too. This one seems like the best choice, but I'll check out the US-122 as well.

Thanks VERY much for the info guys!! - I was at the stage of hurling the Mac out the window... :D

Now I might get a few more years out of her yet.
mildsilverbird

Postby desdinova » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:46 am

I've got one, that's a year or three older than your's even, running as a multitrack for a friend's band, they love it.
rerum concordia discors | genre: wankery
desdinova

Return to Sound Production