roland ds7 monitors?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

roland ds7 monitors?

Postby pelican » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:09 am

So I bought an auction where someone threw these monitors in with the deal. Are they any good?
pelican

Re: roland ds7 monitors?

Postby Motavis » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:16 am

They look o.k. but you'll have to test them out certainly good for backups if you don't like the sound of them.
ImageImage
Motavis

posting while sober? uhoh!

Postby Cruel Hoax » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:55 am

They're actually not bad monitors. I mixed an album on two pairs of Raland monitors, back a few years ago. (The client insisted on bringing his familiar monitors to the session.) We started with the DS7s and later brought in a pair of DS-90As. (Or was it the other way 'round? They shared a family sound, however.) I hooked 'em up alongside NS-10s and Big Ol' JBL wallmounts. Here's what I remember:

They didn't have the same presence-style peak that Yamaha monitors tend to have. They were actually quite smooth-sounding; more like Alesis's active monitors, or maybe Genelecs with a less "crispy" high end. They also had an odd 'hump' in the mid-bass, which made some of those frequencies more prominent. The 90As had a more extended bass response, with the "hump" occurring lower in the frequency spectrum (but still markedly there.)

I usually like bright-ish monitors with strong -even cranky- midrange (NS-10s, KRKs, even HS80Ms) because of the way they bring the vocals, the snare and the guitars to the forefront of the mix, making it easy to hear problems in that frequency area. Well, with the Rolands, I ended up approaching the mix quite differently: accepting the "mellow" quality of the speakers, and focusing on the low-mids and bass. We ended up with a very open-sounding and ambient record, and that weird hump helped fit the Lanois/Eno-esque soundbeds precisely into place without crowding the bass guitar and room-miked drum kit.

It took a little fighting to sit the vocals with the guitar and snare, and we did plenty of referencing on the NS10s for this. I'm sure it would still be do-able without a set of cranky speakers, just not so convenient (and would require -as all monitors do- learning the sound of the speakers thoroughly over a course of several weeks/months.)

We used the analog inputs. I'm not sure how the built-in D/A converters fare in today's world, but using digital in would seem to obviate the need for left-right level matching and such.

Anyway, I had a decent experience with 'em, though they're not my usual style of monitor speakers. Definitely worth having around the place, as long as you check on multiple systems until you learn the bass/midbass of these things.

Hope that helps (or at least gives you more to go on than a dry-ass page of specs and stats.)

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Postby pelican » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:04 am

thanks for the info
pelican

Return to Sound Production