Chorus ensemble, Flangers and vocoders =OH MY!=

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Chorus ensemble, Flangers and vocoders =OH MY!=

Post by BlackGnosis » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:17 am

I love my microkorg for its vocoding as well as a entry level VA synth sounds, Ive taken alot of liking to its Flanger as well, and have even been able to pull off the sounds I was seeking, from suicide commadno's garbling voice sounds, to protoss warriors and even the almighty DALEKS all through ym micro, so now Im super curious what other vocoders are out there other thenn the new ROLAND and PAiA, and what flanger would some one reccomend me? preferably somethin in a rack, I love guitar pedals but its finally time for me to start cutting down on what pedals I have, not to mention I would prefer to go 100% rack with my synths effects... I guess I should just ask what current effects I should consider as No one has a bleedin BOSS SE-50 just lying around wanting to be traded for something.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:03 am

Are you sure? I was in the same mindset, thinking "Of course, noone has a Boss CE-300 super chorus lying around to sell here in little Norway" after reading about it in a thread here. And 10 minutes later I found in the ads cheap, bought it and had it within a week later. How weird.

It was listed as Roland CE-300 superchorus though. But that is understandable, Boss is owned by Roland, and all their manuals can be found on Roland's website.

Zonkout
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Post by Zonkout » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:17 pm

The coolest rack flanger I have heard is the MXR Flanger/Doubler.
There are a bunch of samples here:
http://www.modezero.com/mxr-flanger-doubler-sbf-325.htm

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:08 am

my two favorite vocoders so far are the Electrix WarpFactory and the one built into my cheapo Behringer Virtualizer Pro. what i like about the Behringer unit is that it's inexpensive to the extreme (mine was like 40 bucks shipped, from eBay), and the vocoder is not only very intelligible, but it has a warm & brown vibe to it, like a lot of the older classic vocoders. it's also a little dirty and the output (as expected) isn't as clean as other units. still, once it's in a mix, you can't tell! the WF in contrast, while an excellent and robust effect, can sometimes sound pretty digital, which isn't at all bad, but not always desired.

the Behringer seems made for lo-fi/industrial/whatever vocals. the flangers and delays are pretty good, while the reverbs are just left of awful (and i'm not at all an effects snob!). also on-board are some interesting "screaming murder into the mic"-type vocal distortions that are fun, but not really my thing.

considering that i mostly use effects on vocals, here's everything in my rack, except my mixer:

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:41 am

killedaway wrote:my two favorite vocoders so far are the Electrix WarpFactory and the one built into my cheapo Behringer Virtualizer Pro. what i like about the Behringer unit is that it's inexpensive to the extreme (mine was like 40 bucks shipped, from eBay), and the vocoder is not only very intelligible, but it has a warm & brown vibe to it, like a lot of the older classic vocoders. it's also a little dirty and the output (as expected) isn't as clean as other units. still, once it's in a mix, you can't tell! the WF in contrast, while an excellent and robust effect, can sometimes sound pretty digital, which isn't at all bad, but not always desired.

the Behringer seems made for lo-fi/industrial/whatever vocals. the flangers and delays are pretty good, while the reverbs are just left of awful (and i'm not at all an effects snob!). also on-board are some interesting "screaming murder into the mic"-type vocal distortions that are fun, but not really my thing.

considering that i mostly use effects on vocals, here's everything in my rack, except my mixer:

I love your rack =D
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: Chorus ensemble, Flangers and vocoders =OH MY!=

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:40 pm

BlackGnosis wrote:preferably somethin in a rack, I love guitar pedals but its finally time for me to start cutting down on what pedals I have, not to mention I would prefer to go 100% rack with my synths effects...
seems like the TC electronic Fireworx could be great for what you are looking for. it will not replace the real analog vocoder or other pedal..but it have a great audio quality and flexibility to sounds great as a chain for a sound design device or synth/guitar oriented fxs. plus it have that classic flanger/chorus simulation and a vocoder..it can be had for around $399 used (or less with some luck) and it have a nice user interface and looks great in the rack :) listen to the demos here.

Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

aeon

Re: Chorus ensemble, Flangers and vocoders =OH MY!=

Post by aeon » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:18 pm

BlackGnosis wrote:what flanger would some one reccomend me?
FoxRox TZF Paradox

analog. pedal. true-zerocross. *that* sound at last.

cheers,
Ian

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:45 pm

BlackGnosis wrote:
I love your rack =D
that's the first compliment i've ever received regarding my gear. thanks!