MIDI

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
meneedit

MIDI

Post by meneedit » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:43 am

Hey guys, 8)

when I eventually get my synth and everything set up I am gonna make the switch from FL 3.5 to Cubase.

It's gonna take me a while to get used to cubase but i'll live.

anyway instead of recording me playing the synth as a wav file and then importing it into the program, I want to hook it up via MIDI and use the piano roll.

I have already done this through fruityloops but when I try to change the volume of the MIDI-OUT channel (the channel that the Ion is playing through) it messes up the pitch.

Now, I am still very new to midi and dont know what it is capable of and dont know what sort of things you can do.

here are some questions I have about MIDI/Cubase...

MIDI questions:

1. Am I able to edit the envelope, cut, pitch-bend, etc... of individual notes? If so, that will make things so much easier! :D

2. In fruityloops I cant add effects to the MIDI-OUT channel. Can this be done in Cubase?

3. I currently hook up my Ion through the external box that comes with the Audigy 2 ZS. Should I connect it through something else or is it ok to do it that way?

CUBASE questions:

1. Does Cubase have a note splicer in the piano roll?

2. Does the piano roll allow you to place notes virtually anywhere or are they snapped to gridlines?

3. Does Cubase come with its own delay reverb and distortion effects?

4. How hard is it to perform sidechaining in cubase, it's pretty easy to do in fruityloops but I still

5. Even with the buffer size put right up and smart disable on for all channels, fruityloops still lags with some of my tracks.
Is Cubase better for performance?

My machine is a P4 3.0 with 512 ram and an Audigy 2 ZS.

MISC questions:

1. In cool edit it has a really nice reverb feature where you can specify a lot of parameters to shape the sound. It gives you room width, room height, room length and a whole lot of other things. Are there any VSTs available that are like this?

2. If I want to actually buy some top notch expert VST FX (as a pack) instead of downloading free ones, where is a good place to look?

Thank you all for reading :D :D :D

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:01 am

You might want to try reading the manual, these are all basic questions.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Re: MIDI

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:47 am

meneedit wrote:MIDI questions:

1. Am I able to edit the envelope, cut, pitch-bend, etc... of individual notes? If so, that will make things so much easier! :D

2. In fruityloops I cant add effects to the MIDI-OUT channel. Can this be done in Cubase?

3. I currently hook up my Ion through the external box that comes with the Audigy 2 ZS. Should I connect it through something else or is it ok to do it that way?
1. Most sequencers allow editing of velocity, pitch-bend of notes at the very least. If you start assigning controllers to your VSTs then you'll have control of other parameters too like you mentioned.

2. No, MIDI isn't audio - it's MIDI. You can add effects to the plugin that the MIDI is controlling, or the VST instrument yourself but not MIDI Out channels. MIDI is merely used to trigger the audio.

3. If it has line level inputs then it should be fine.
MISC questions:

1. In cool edit it has a really nice reverb feature where you can specify a lot of parameters to shape the sound. It gives you room width, room height, room length and a whole lot of other things. Are there any VSTs available that are like this?

2. If I want to actually buy some top notch expert VST FX (as a pack) instead of downloading free ones, where is a good place to look?
1. Yes, there should be a few reverb VST effects in the market with that flexibility.

2. KVRaudio is a good start.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:16 pm

The Ion isn't the best synth to be messing around with via MIDI as it uses NRPN's instead of the usual continuous controllers which cant really be edited with a software sequencer that well.

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:51 am

meneedit

Re: MIDI

Post by meneedit » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:34 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
meneedit wrote:MIDI questions:

1. Most sequencers allow editing of velocity, pitch-bend of notes at the very least. If you start assigning controllers to your VSTs then you'll have control of other parameters too like you mentioned.

2. No, MIDI isn't audio - it's MIDI. You can add effects to the plugin that the MIDI is controlling, or the VST instrument yourself but not MIDI Out channels. MIDI is merely used to trigger the audio.

3. If it has line level inputs then it should be fine.
MISC questions:

1. Yes, there should be a few reverb VST effects in the market with that flexibility.

2. KVRaudio is a good start.
thank you so much 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

meneedit

Post by meneedit » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:36 am

Soundwave wrote:The Ion isn't the best synth to be messing around with via MIDI as it uses NRPN's instead of the usual continuous controllers which cant really be edited with a software sequencer that well.
Damn. I wish I had've known that before I spent so much money on it.