Rack Cases

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Rack Cases

Post by brian.only » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:35 am

Whats your preference?

In the past few years I've built up a small stack of rack gear and am looking to get something sturdy for the road and easy to access for setup/breakdown, I'll also be using it in the studio as well.
I've been looking @ the Grundorf and SKB racks and have done a bit of research and asking around, but figuring how many of you have rack-mount synths I thought I'd do a bit more here. Which has the better bindings and bang per buck?
sell me your KS5!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:20 pm

For bang for buck in the studio, buy rack rails and build the cabinet yourself, that's what I did for the racks on my desk, just 12mm MDF glued, varnished and with the rails screwed on the inside.

For taking stuff out on the road at work we use custom made cases, but the SKB and RoadReady stuff I've seen looked pretty reliable. They have a few different pricepoints, I'd be looking at the ply over the plastic if it's going to be going on a plane. Oh, and don't forget to support the back of your racks as well as the front, medium density foam should do the trick.