Presonus Firepod?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Presonus Firepod?

Postby mistercooper » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:16 am

Obviously this doesn't belong in GS, but too bad :P

I've just picked up a brand spanking new MacBook Pro (2.4, 17", HD :D), so now its time to get an interface for the bugger. No more of that 1in 1out hodgepodge ive been putting up with on my PC. I can't seem to find anything that beats out the presonus in terms of value. 399 list, currently a rebate for a free headphone dist amp, and one seller is throwing in an art tube pre at that price.

I guess my question is, having heard some mixed reviews on reliability, do you really think theres a better option for similar or lesser price range? Should I just jump on it? I haven't really decided on a DAW for the apple yet either. The presonus has upward of 8in8out with dedicated preamps per channel (also can be bypassed on first two for external pre), and it seems kinda hard to beat (digi002/003 are a solid G!)... The motu828 is out of my range, as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Kisses, hugs, etc.

Cooper
m-audio Radium 61, Korg Kontrol49,
Nord Modular rack, ER-1
Soundlab
CS-50
Custom built modular w/ ~30 modules
TX-216, VSS-100, PSR-470
Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, plugs
mistercooper

FireBox good, MOTU better?

Postby ficusrock » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:39 am

I had a FireBox for quite a while until I recently pawned it off on my singer. I had good results with my iMac (Intel) and PowerBook G4, and I liked how it worked on Mac.

Now I have upgraded to a MOTU Traveler which I found for around $500, and I love it! There is one thing that I miss about my FireBox which is that in the software mixer it had a separate virtual fader for the computer's audio.

I would say either go with the FireBox or that small MOTU box, the UltraLite, I believe. I prefer the MOTU because they are also good as sub-mixers for my synths when I need to sub-mix in live settings.

As far as DAW goes, I graduated from GarageBand into Logic Pro 7. I'm a student so I got the student version a lot cheaper.
ficusrock

Gear: Access Virus TI, NI Maschine

Re: FireBox good, MOTU better?

Postby maindeglorie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:12 am

ficusrock wrote:I had a FireBox for quite a while until I recently pawned it off on my singer. I had good results with my iMac (Intel) and PowerBook G4, and I liked how it worked on Mac.

Now I have upgraded to a MOTU Traveler which I found for around $500, and I love it! There is one thing that I miss about my FireBox which is that in the software mixer it had a separate virtual fader for the computer's audio.

I would say either go with the FireBox or that small MOTU box, the UltraLite, I believe. I prefer the MOTU because they are also good as sub-mixers for my synths when I need to sub-mix in live settings.

As far as DAW goes, I graduated from GarageBand into Logic Pro 7. I'm a student so I got the student version a lot cheaper.

He said "Firepod" not Firebox. The Traveler is not an upgrade to the Firepod. :wink: The Firepod is great. Presonus has great coverters and they make killer preamps. I run my Firepod into a MacBook Pro running Logic 7 and Ableton. It works fine. The Firepod has been dicontinued due to a lawsuit from Apple ove the use of the word "pod." They really are becoming Nazi's. The Firepod will be rereleased with a new name and two more ins/outs and probably a higher price tag.

Ficusrock, let me know when that MS-2000 arrives. :D
maindeglorie

Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Postby ficusrock » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:21 am

maindeglorie wrote:He said "Firepod" not Firebox. The Traveler is not an upgrade to the Firepod. :wink: The Firepod is great. Presonus has great coverters and they make killer preamps. I run my Firepod into a MacBook Pro running Logic 7 and Ableton. It works fine. The Firepod has been dicontinued due to a lawsuit from Apple ove the use of the word "pod." They really are becoming Nazi's. The Firepod will be rereleased with a new name and two more ins/outs and probably a higher price tag.

Ficusrock, let me know when that MS-2000 arrives. :D

Haha, oops. Well, I actually did have a FirePod at one time as well, until another past vocalist took off with it. Also a nice unit, and yes, not as many preamps as the Traveler, but I like the features of my Traveler better.

Yeah, I really hope the MS-2000 gets here Monday, looking forward to it!
ficusrock

Gear: Access Virus TI, NI Maschine

Postby maindeglorie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:32 am

I'm hoping you get that key fixed, so you don't yell at me! :lol:

I'm sure it's just a contact issue.
maindeglorie

Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Hey Mistercooper...

Postby maindeglorie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:36 am

I jsut noticed your set-up in your signature, and I'm actually jealous. Because, you have a very streamlined set-up. I believe that's the most productive! I know it's off topic, but I have been desiring to streamline my set-up, because I have too many synths, and it actually get's in the way of making music for me, so kudos to you! :)
maindeglorie

Return to Sound Production