I have a Zoom G7- any point in a Zoom B2? (bass effects)

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
bigbadbarns

I have a Zoom G7- any point in a Zoom B2? (bass effects)

Post by bigbadbarns » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:41 am

I bought a Zoom G7 a year or so ago, and am really happy with it. I play bass as well, and was just wondering whether there's any point in getting the scaled down, bass version (the B2) to use with my bass? I guess the question is- are bass effects fundamentally different from guitar effects? Like, are they tailored to process the sound in fundamentally different ways?

I've noticed that at least 1/2 the things I try on the G7 with my bass sound... not good. Just wondering if I should try to program it a little better (I guess especially in the EQ department), or whether its worth forking out a little cash for the dedicated bass pedal? They aren't really expensive- like, $150 US for the model with the pedal.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:50 am

In a word - yes. I had both the G2 and the B2 and the effects on the B2 have been designed to handle the lower frequencies that a bass puts out. Some guitar effects can make a bass sound thin or muddy, whereas their bass counterparts give a much better quality of sound.

Not only that, but the amp modelling for both units is different. The Zoom units are fantastic value for the price they go for!
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

bigbadbarns

Post by bigbadbarns » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:04 am

thanks jack. awesome, yeah. I figured that was the case- muddy- definately the best word to describe the results I get with a bass through the G7.

Suh-weet. Now just gotta decide whether I need/want the pedal (the B2.1ut, rather than the standard B2).

Cheers.

vynlOverdrive
Gear: Mesa, Ibanez, Artura, Jackson, Waves, JBL.
Band: sad monster party

Post by vynlOverdrive » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:30 pm

i'd like to add; i've played with the B2 and own the G2 (use that all the time) - they're definitely different. the B2 has a parametric EQ with 'sweepable' center frequencies, which would be really cool, except it's not really sweepable; there's 5 discrete settings (which is my biggest complaint about it). also it's distortions are totally different, and while they're better tailored to the bass (especially the wave-shaper modeled one), they're not as good as the G2's.

but bang/buck, they're impressive units.