parts of songs we pan

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
ned-ryarson

parts of songs we pan

Post by ned-ryarson » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:26 pm

ever been happy with a song which has no sounds/parts/instruments panned to the left or right?
or been happy enough with a piece of music which hadnt yet had any tracks panned, and then think ''shouldnt i be putting something left or right''?
which parts of ur tunes are y'all inclined to pan?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:10 pm

i like synths being panned apart from guitars. i might pan snare and cymbals into the channel where there is less frequency clashing, but only slightly.

oh, and multiple vocal tracks panned hard is fun.

what i dont like are pan sweeps. they make me very nauseous.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:46 pm

I often pan arpeggios--typically every other note, but, sometimes, multiple notes or whole patterns.

Also, in slower pieces, I might pan delay or reverb to add dramatic effect.

And I also enjoy using two different patches for basslines, and I will pan each patch to a different channel.

Cheers.

WD

P.S. Sorry, Tallow, but I tend to pan sweeps in my soundtrack works. If I post any examples, I'll forewarn you before subjecting you to waves of dry heaving. ;-)

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:09 pm

tallowwaters wrote:i like synths being panned apart from guitars. i might pan snare and cymbals into the channel where there is less frequency clashing, but only slightly.

same here. :D

i don't do very much panning, especially not anything extreme. it just seems to f. up the stereo image when everything is panned hard left and right or sweeping all over the place.

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:32 am

divineaudio wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:i like synths being panned apart from guitars. i might pan snare and cymbals into the channel where there is less frequency clashing, but only slightly.

same here. :D

i don't do very much panning, especially not anything extreme. it just seems to f. up the stereo image when everything is panned hard left and right or sweeping all over the place.
while i often pan separately, there are also plenty of times when i will pan a synth the same as a guitar part and mix under...to give the guitar a little more oomph and mystery.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:29 am

code green wrote:
while i often pan separately, there are also plenty of times when i will pan a synth the same as a guitar part and mix under...to give the guitar a little more oomph and mystery.
so youre saying the trick is to leave the guitar player outside of the mixing room? :lol:

wdw - i like stereo field sweeps, but they seriously screw me up. i have no idea why...maybe its some type of disorder?

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:50 am

tallowwaters wrote:wdw - i like stereo field sweeps, but they seriously screw me up. i have no idea why...maybe its some type of disorder?
It's like sonic epilepsy. You'll be working in the lab, while listening to music, suddenly a panned sweep plays, and you will miss the one test result that kills the Andromeda Strain.

WD

Megatron

Post by Megatron » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:51 am

I pan almost everything. Everything's got its own unique spot in the mix, by use of stereo, reverberation, and timbral separation.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 pm

I pan guitars, synths, drums, vocals...I do a lot of double-tracking to create stereo imaging.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:31 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
code green wrote:
so youre saying the trick is to leave the guitar player outside of the mixing room? :lol:

ha ha--in theory, yes....in practice, i'm the guitar player, and my parts need all the help they can get!

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:35 am

WDW wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:wdw - i like stereo field sweeps, but they seriously screw me up. i have no idea why...maybe its some type of disorder?
It's like sonic epilepsy. You'll be working in the lab, while listening to music, suddenly a panned sweep plays, and you will miss the one test result that kills the Andromeda Strain.

WD
you know, i never knew michael crichton was that old.
code green wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:
code green wrote:
ha ha--in theory, yes....in practice, i'm the guitar player, and my parts need all the help they can get!
just saying that because the guitar player i work with is always pushing his little faders up when we are mixing. well he used to anyhow. i better be nice, he may be lurking here :oops:

thediscoking

Post by thediscoking » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:29 am

When I'm mixing, the first thing that I do is to pan instruments that occupy the same frequency range to avoid masking. From then on, I just experiment until the mix sounds as interesting as possible.

I'm a big fan of the drastic panning that on late 60s Britpop records... listening to a song like "Strawberry Fields Forever" on headphones (or only listening to either the L or R channel) really showcases how much artistic panning can do for a song.

Retrodisko

Post by Retrodisko » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:45 pm

I do dance music (progressive and Electro mainly) I love to do doubles and pan them. Shakers and Claps, i do pretty much the same that redchapterjubilee
does. (doubletracking)

I never pan Kicks or main vocals
Yaxkin Retrodisko
www.yaxkinretrodisko.com

Toshiba 17" LAPTOP P205-S7476 (core duo 4 gig RAM)
Ableton 6
Reason3
Novation Remote 25
Saffire LE Interfase
McIntosh (not Mac) Amplifier an Speakers

Entropy Farmer

Re: parts of songs we pan

Post by Entropy Farmer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:20 am

dddoherty@hotmail.com wrote:which parts of ur tunes are y'all inclined to pan?
All of them!

Well, ok, not anything in the low end.