USB/Firewire Mixer and Computer Recording Advice?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

USB/Firewire Mixer and Computer Recording Advice?

Post by Johnny Lenin » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:40 pm

Here's the thing... I have a Fostex MR8 MkII recorder that has served me well, but I'd like the flexibility of computer-based recording. I also have a Behringer mixer that worked for a few years and then died, so I'm in the market for a new mixer.

What I'm looking at is one of the Alesis Multimix mixers and thinking of moving my recording to my laptop . So my questions are;

Does anyone use the Alesis multimix mixers and have an opinion?

What are the advantages of Firewire over USB?

The Multimix comes with Cubase LE, but I have friends who highly recommend Cakewalk Sonar. Is Sonar that much better?

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Re: USB/Firewire Mixer and Computer Recording Advice?

Post by Wiglaf » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:18 am

Johnny Lenin wrote:Does anyone use the Alesis multimix mixers and have an opinion?
I used to; it was decent enough for the price. Worked fine and sounded good enough.
What are the advantages of Firewire over USB?
Firewire is generally faster...it depends on the version in the device and your computer's ports.
The Multimix comes with Cubase LE, but I have friends who highly recommend Cakewalk Sonar. Is Sonar that much better?
My only experience with Sonar was a quick glance at a demo, so I won't comment on that; I just wanted to mention that it comes down to your personal preference...you might end up hating it. Try before you buy.

I did use Cubase LE for a while (it's why I bought the Alesis). It's functional, but I upgraded to a better version within a month. Better than nothing, though.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:53 am

Greets Herr Lenin,

I've been looking at getting one of those Alesis firewire mixers, or the Mackie Onyx.

I bought a Motu 8pre on an impulse because I needed to be working on a recording on short order, wanted it to sound good, and was trying to be cheap...The big surprise, however, is that I actually love using it and my computure as my mixer, and it sounds great, the motu stuff is just solid.

If the 8pre had more outputs, I'd totally recommend it, as it is, I'd say save up and get the 828. Or if you needed even more channels you could get something like an 828, or 896, and be able to add 8 channels with the 8pre, Imagine having 16+ channels of inputs...If you are a laptop user, i'd look at the motu traveller, or the ultralight...be able to move around with you...pretty robust as well...

Yeah, this route doesn't have the eq that a board has, but there are other advantages/flexibility. You can add a vintage board [which you can get amazing deals on stuff that sounds just awesome], you could also connect a digital board, or other motu gear by connecting things via optical in/out.

Generally fire wire = speed, though it does seem that usb2 is getting a bit more traction...bothe are super fast...either are fine.

I'd also take a good look at the presonus firepod.

I might be over reaching what you are asking about, but I am finding that having solid recording gear, is making all the gear I currently own that much more usable.

regarding software/other solutions, I personally don't want to go the pro-tools route. The hardware/costs just don't add up for my needs.

I am thinking of going Digital Performer, cause you can get a "switcher" discount right now, and get a full cut for about a $100 less than Cuebase I think they are both solid apps...if not for the discount, I think I'd go Cubase, as it was really making inroads into the industry when I used to work in a post house.

Peak and Deck will get you by in a pinch. I haven't used Logic in ages, and didn't like it back in the day....but apparenly Apple has really invested in it, and is making it more user friendly...

Good luck, let us know what you end up going with....

I started out looking to just spend a few hundred dollars last weekend, it's not that easy...I am now looking at backing off a synth purchase to be able to get a great recording set up. The rational: It really compliments the gear I already have, and has me spending more time in the studio than I have in months...