Need help on how to record

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:37 pm

Your interface will not help you record. It is for sequencing through midi. If you want to record your synth, you need to connect the audio outs of the synth tothe soundcard. You can use windows media player to record audio, however, there are a lot of better programs out there, some of which have already been recommended.

There are audio interfaces that attach to the computer through usb.

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:57 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:Your interface will not help you record. It is for sequencing through midi. If you want to record your synth, you need to connect the audio outs of the synth tothe soundcard.
How do I do that?
Last edited by Box on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:57 pm

slinkyjr wrote:give an example of what you are trying to record, midi data or actual audio.
I'm trying to record actual audio.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:12 pm

Is this what I need for recording, not the MIDI/USB?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LightSnake10/

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:32 pm

No. You just need a something like a cable with 1/8 inch connectors. The exact cable will depend on what inputs your sound card has. Your computer acts like a tape deck. To record on a tape deck you need to send the tape deck audio (if you expect audio to be played back). Connect any of th audio outs on the synth (headphones out, mix out, mono out...) to the input on the sound card. No usb involved!

USB is used in recording only if you have an audio interface which is like an expensive external audio card. Form what you said, you don't have one.

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:44 pm

According to the site that 1/4 to usb cable is all that's needed to record.

ok, I think i found what you're talking about.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP310/

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:53 pm

That will likely work.

What site is telling you to connect audio to usb?

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:59 pm

The write up for the other cable I posted had said that it could be used for direct recording to your pc. I much rather pay $4.00 than $40.00. And thank you very much micah for helping me out. :)

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:19 pm

okay, your soundcard should have a 'line in' port. all you have to do is run from the headphone or mono out of your synth into the line in of the soundcard. if you have a regular pre packaged with your computer sound card, it is more than likely a 1/8" in. most all synths have 1/4" outs.

you can either use-
a 1/4" to 1/8" cable
a 1/4" to 1/4" cable with a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor plug
a 1/8" to 1/8" cable with a 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor plug

these are all available at radio shack in crappy form or any music store in a better form. if you go to the music store, tell them you want the cable to be TRS (not important right now, you can learn later)

okay, now you need to find a program to record your incoming audio. yoozer gaves lots of good mention, try any of those.

now, stop reading - go, go. the best way to learn is to just jump in.

ps -keep the midi to usb cable, it will have lots of use for sequencing and data dumping.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

slinkyjr
Band: an1matron1x

Post by slinkyjr » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:34 pm

this recording concept that you are giving at the moment midi and audio is like mixing apples and oranges (to sound cliched) :D if you are trying to record audio, then the Krystal software is fine, just forget about the MIDI interface, for now. grab a guitar (or whatever you are trying to record) plug it in to your audio interface via 1/4" to 1/8", select a track on your software recorder (Krystal) "arm" your channel, so that the signal is coming through, hit record and your off to the races, in a nutshell.
Rogue, Minimoog, LAMM(w/blue LEDs), MemoryMoog+, PolyMoog keyboard, PolyMoog synth, Jupiter 8,VP-330, JD-800,TB-303, Polysix, 2600, Odyssey, Quadra, Xpander,Matrix 1000,Prophet 5,Pro-one,Prophet 600,Prophet 10, Nord 2X, Virus KC,Prophet 08

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:50 am

You could always try Audacity to record your audio. It's a nice application (free to download too). Recording is as easy as selecting your sound card and hitting the record button :)

You can use it to encode mp3 files, but let's just concentrate on getting the audio in first. Keep playing with your software and hardware setup, you won't break anything by trying it out.
Stephen(2)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:46 am

two things:

1) mate, you need to do some serious reading up on basic computer recording concepts... there are PLENTY of FAQs all over the net that cover the basics for what you've got, and should get you up and running. This isn't really the place to be learning the ins and outs (no pun intended!)

2) This is a HELP topic if I ever saw one.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:46 am

Alrighty, I think I have all the info I need to get started. Thanks to everyone for taking your time to help a person in great need. :)

goober

Post by goober » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:57 pm

let us know how that goes cause, I did the same exact thing, even bought the same usb midi cable thinkin it would record. I even asked guitar center but some other guy said it would record if I used reason. But at least I can edit patches and update my micron.