Need help on how to record

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Need help on how to record

Post by Box » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:58 am

How am I supposed to record my synths to a computer? Is there any kind of programs I need? I went out and bought a USB/MIDI interface and have no clue as to what I'm supposed to do. If anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:05 am

A midi interface is for sequencing not recording.

You can record through your computer's sound card or get a specialized interface. There are many different programs designed for the purpose of turning your computer into a mini studio.

You should ask your question in the sound production forum.

depecheNIN

Post by depecheNIN » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:38 am

Hi Box -

You need to buy a couple of TS cables to connect the analog outputs of your keyboard to the analog inputs of the MIDI/Audio interface. Once you've figured out how to record audio, then ask us about MIDI. It's sort of a step 1, check, step 2, check, kind of deal.

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:56 am

Well I found this Kristal Audio Program. It's supposed to be able to record by connecting your keyboard to the soundcard by USB. I press record and I play a few notes and nothing is recorded, or heard for that matter...
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:51 am

Kristal is track-based isn't it? Do you have to "arm" or select a track to record to? Some programs also need to have hardware (i.e. sound card) outputs and inputs mapped to the tracks.

Stick to using your PC's sound card for now, at least to get something working - then work on getting your USB interface up and running.

Have you seen this page - http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/manual/index.html
Stephen(2)

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Re: Need help on how to record

Post by maindeglorie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:05 am

Box wrote:How am I supposed to record my synths to a computer? Is there any kind of programs I need? I went out and bought a USB/MIDI interface and have no clue as to what I'm supposed to do. If anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated.
I know this is no help, but man I miss being in your shoes. It's fun/depressing to think that you'll be learning all this great new methods and techniques. I miss those days, when every little accomplishment and recording trick was an earth moving experience. Now, I'm older, miserable, record little to new music these days, and usually just jam out by myself or a few others, then forget about it. So my advice... Don't get older. And maybe grap yourself a Presonus Firepod as a Digital Audio interface for recording your boards into your preferred Digital Audio Workstation. I'll assume you don't have a lot of money to spend, and believe me, you're better off, so pick up Like FL Studio or something. I've even been checking it out, and it seems like a breath of fresh air; a basic, but sharp tool to get your ideas done with. Cheers. Have a pint. Only if you're old enough! :D

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Need help on how to record

Post by Yoozer » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:47 am

Box wrote:How am I supposed to record my synths to a computer?
Read this here:
http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... =beginners

It's very NI-plugin/hardwarecentric, but you can replace the audio interface with something like an Alesis IO|14 or E-mu 0404 or whatever your budget allows for. MIDI is just half of the story.

As for software: just download trial versions of Sonar, EnergyXT, Mackie Tracktion, Ableton Live, Cockos Reaper, FL Studio and mess around with them. See what works best for you.

As for MIDI: Version 2 will support it. Version 1 seems to do not, so you can only record audio. Each track has its own record button; you have to click that and then the main sequencer recording button. The MIDI interface's MIDI out goes in the synth's MIDI in (common mistake).

also, this should've gone here: http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12

Not trying to be a backseat moderator or a*s; it's just that that part of the forum's already filled with advice and it makes it easier to search :).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:24 pm

Thanks to everyone for the info. Still really don't have a clue what I'm doing though. :P

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:37 pm

It seems people are not sure what interface you bought. If you have a midi only box, it isn't going to help you record audio at all.

What model of interface did you get?

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:51 pm

Mr. Hughes is correct, unless you are using VSTs in Kristal. In that case, I would suggest that you see if you have any of those installed, as well.

As Stephen pointed out, the manual is a good place to start, as is the beginner's guide that Yoozer posted. Another excellent source for help (and a forum that many other Kristal users are at) can be found at KVR Audio, here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/

Good luck!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:31 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:It seems people are not sure what interface you bought. If you have a midi only box, it isn't going to help you record audio at all.

What model of interface did you get?
It's a M-Audio Midisport UNO. It's just a basic USB/MIDI Interface cable. I looked in the Kristal manual a thousands times under "How to record with Kristal" and I get nothing from it. I've even posted on their forums and I've gotten nothing.

slinkyjr
Band: an1matron1x

Post by slinkyjr » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:36 pm

duplicate
Last edited by slinkyjr on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogue, Minimoog, LAMM(w/blue LEDs), MemoryMoog+, PolyMoog keyboard, PolyMoog synth, Jupiter 8,VP-330, JD-800,TB-303, Polysix, 2600, Odyssey, Quadra, Xpander,Matrix 1000,Prophet 5,Pro-one,Prophet 600,Prophet 10, Nord 2X, Virus KC,Prophet 08

slinkyjr

dup
Last edited by slinkyjr on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogue, Minimoog, LAMM(w/blue LEDs), MemoryMoog+, PolyMoog keyboard, PolyMoog synth, Jupiter 8,VP-330, JD-800,TB-303, Polysix, 2600, Odyssey, Quadra, Xpander,Matrix 1000,Prophet 5,Pro-one,Prophet 600,Prophet 10, Nord 2X, Virus KC,Prophet 08

slinkyjr

after looking at the Krystal manual, I do not believe that you can record MIDI. i think it is only an audio based recorder. i could be wrong.
Last edited by slinkyjr on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slinkyjr

give an example of what you are trying to record, midi data or actual audio.
Last edited by slinkyjr on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.