Audio interface for a synth studio

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Audio interface for a synth studio

Post by Carey M » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:35 pm

So, I've decided to start a little project studio of my own. Okay, maybe not a "studio" per se, but a nice little room of my own with a computer (PC), monitor speakers, interface and synths. I have no trouble choosing the right components (for me) for my little system, other than the damn audio interface. There are just too many decent products available!

Interfaces I've been considering:

TC Konnekt 24D - onboard DSP for reverb and channel strip plugins

Mackie Onyx 400F - no ADAT, but a lot of inputs and I liked the sound of the 800R

Alesis IO|26 - a lot of inputs with preamps

I've read reviews of all of these, including the HC Pro reviews, but I'm still none the wiser. Does anybody here have any experience with any one of the above interfaces? Or would you rather recommend something else entirely? What interface / preamp+converter system are YOU using in your studio?

What I'm looking for? A good sounding interface, with at least four (4) analogue inputs, preferrably with expandability (ADAT), that is well suited for tracking analogue synths. I'm also not planning to buy a mixer, so at least a couple of preamps are needed. Portability is nice, but not essential. I can go PCI, but most of the bargains seem to be in the Firewire category. Price range? around 500 euros.

- CM
Last edited by Carey M on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freemind

Post by freemind » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:44 pm

Check M-audio offer, I will go for it next time. Alesis makes great looking stuff, I own io2, sounds is nice, design is great, but THERE ARE NO DRIVERS (and according to customers support there will not be)!!!! I love io2, but this is pain in ... the back parts.
As I said - check M-audio, they say it is stable and reliale as h**l.
Rhodes mkII 73,clavinet E7,MS10,alphaJuno2,kaossPad3,airsynth,Roland Re-201,Microkorg,Behringer mix,alesis soundcard. acoustic and electric guitars,various stompboxes.
http://www.przedeptane.pl http://www.jedzok.com/ http://www.blog.jedzok.com

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer

Post by Carey M » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:15 pm

freemind wrote:As I said - check M-audio, they say it is stable and reliale as h**l.
Hmm.. A couple of my friends have M-Audio (410 and 1010LT) stuff and I've never liked the way they sound. Their newer products may sound better though, so I think I'll add them to the equation.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

- CM

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:15 am

We have a couple of M-Audio interfaces here at work and they're the most trouble of any we have. Build quality is bad, very plasticy, and the Mac driver situation is terrible. PC drivers might be better though.

If you want really nice conversion I'd extend you budget a little bit and get something from RME, either a Fireface or Multiface and nice standalone pre like an RNP.

edit: Just saw your sig, you'd be doing those synths a disservice to run it through anything cheap. I'd defineately save a little more and get a really nice interface, you'll end up wanting a better one after a year or two anyway, so save your money in the long run by investing now. That said, the TC and Mackie both look like you could live with them.

Carey M

Post by Carey M » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:58 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I'd defineately save a little more and get a really nice interface, you'll end up wanting a better one after a year or two anyway, so save your money in the long run by investing now. That said, the TC and Mackie both look like you could live with them.
Wise words Stab Frenzy... But I want to start recording now! :D That is why I'm looking to get something with digital inputs, so I can at least expand later if I want something more professional. I'm not super-concerned about quality at the moment, but I sure don't want to buy something unusable.

I've decided to not get the Alesis or anything M-Audio, but I've now added the RME FF400 to my list. Thank you for your feedback!

- CM