Favorite Delay Pedal?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Favorite Delay Pedal?

Post by brian.only » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:12 am

Hey All-
I have always been a big fan of delay stompboxes/racks and was wondering what others are using w/ their synths.

I have been lately enjoying an old analog delay by dod from the performer series- really complements the juno 106 taking off some of the sharpness and smoothing it out- self oscillates madly w/ a nice crackle when cranked. My other favorites are the Digitech Echo Plus(warm for digital and great for live sampling), and the Boss dd6 for the hold and reverse settings.

Next on the list for me may be a DL4 which I'd been holding off from as I've known a lot of people having issues w/ but it seems they are getting more reliable- any other suggestions?

I have played the maxon ad900 and boss dm2- great- but dont really feel they are worth the inflated price.
sell me your KS5!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:50 am

I love my yamaha e1010, sounds great and really fixes up any digital/soft synths you run through it. Makes things sound much smoother and gets rid of the nasty high end while adding a bit of a noise floor, which is good.

Also am a fan of the Boss DM-100, much more of a wild and crazy beast for self-oscillation, but they go well together. The chorusd on that is great too but it's stopped working on ours.

The behringer digital delay pedal is good too, much to my surprise. I just bought one cause it was cheap and I've used it quite a bit. Build quality is shocking, the internal battery connector on ours doesn't work, but I quite like the sound. Only runs at 24khz so the tops are missing, but in a good way.

dj_stick

Post by dj_stick » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:15 pm

i'd love one of those Moogerfooger MF104 pedals… but finding one, and being able to afford it, well that's another question entirely

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:44 am

I use a Maxon AD999 (900ms) and a Yamaha E1010 (300ms) for analogue. For digital I have an Alesis Quardraverb and a Lexicon MX200.

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:55 am

i'm quite happy with my boss dm3.

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:20 am

My favorite delay is not from a pedal; it's from black box - the Korg SDD3300. Most software delay plugins don't emulate the capabilities of this, so it's still a valid hardware unit.

aeon

Re: Favorite Delay Pedal?

Post by aeon » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:16 am

brian.only wrote:Hey All-
I have always been a big fan of delay stompboxes/racks and was wondering what others are using w/ their synths.
  • Moog MF-104SD
  • Diamond Memory Lane
  • Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
  • Yamaha E1005
  • Roland RE-201
  • Roland SRE-555
  • Symetrix 606
  • Roland SDE-330
  • Line6 Echo Pro
  • Boss DE-200
...and then there are the multi-effects that do a good delay. ;)

cheers,
Ian

filtermod

Post by filtermod » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:23 pm

analog delays:
an old DOD FX90, electro harmonix memory man, and when I can, I borrow a friends old roland space echo.

digital and software delays:
line 6 echo pro (my fave, it's like a vintage delay without all the noise), logic pro's tape delay plug in, and a crusty old digitech rack delay (RDS 1900)

http://www.myspace.com/atomatik13

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:23 am

thanks for all the replys- some seriously interesting stuff here.

aeon- what dont you have? :shock: :P
I've been lusting after a memory lane for a couple of months now (tap and mod?!!!)but I think I'll get a drum set before I drop that much anytime soon.
my pedal habit is manageable as it stays under 150 bucks usually.

That korg triple delay looks really cool, as well as the yamaha e1010.

I'd love to get an echo pro but they seem to go up a hundred dollars every 6 months...
oof- I had to promise myself I would'nt spend more than 300 on a pedal- though 900ms for analog is nuts.

stab- I'd given up on behringer, but I'll have to check it out.
sell me your KS5!

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:30 am

guess im a bit late but figured i would mention the line 6 echo park pedal if you dont have the cash for the echo pro.

i got mine for something silly like 30 bucks but i think they sell for a hundred new, and it beats my dd5.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:53 pm

Anyone (aeon?) had any experience with the analog Ibanez rack delay? AD202 or something... I'm looking to get something rack-mountable and all those VRS23s have disappeared from eBay.

- CM

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:57 pm

I'm allways giging with my Roland Space Echo...timeless and so warm sounding. :D it gives a lot of fun to tweak the knobs.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

acmesoundlab

Post by acmesoundlab » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:23 pm

Without a doubt, my Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory-Man. I don't really use it with my Little Phatty, but I feel naked if it's not between my guitar and amp.

Little Phatty music at http://hometown.aol.com/acmesoundlab/my ... index.html

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:45 pm

I luv my Echo Park. It can be clean, dirty, self-oscillate, match tempos, etc. I bought mine new when they came out two years ago but now you can get them for $50-$75. An absolute bargain.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:56 am

I love my Ibanez DE7. Its cheap and it sounds amazing. Too bad it lacks tap-tempo. With tap-tempo it would be the TB303 of delay pedals.

Im also completely in love with the EHX Stereo MemoryMan with Hazarai. Looks like a normal digital delay on the outside but its a seriously complicated pedal. 30 sec looping, reverse, HP and LP filter on the echoes, 8 presets where you can store your settings, reverb, etc.