Favorite Delay Pedal?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
xibalba

Post by xibalba » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:31 pm

gibson echoplex that is one excellent machine as is the line 6 delay

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:59 pm

Yeah I would really like to find one w/ the foot controller that was'nt 800-1000 bucks. :P
They seem to be getting harder to find too...
sell me your KS5!

zielvis
Gear: Logic Express 8, Cameleon 5000, Arturia Analog Factory Experience; Yamaha: PSS-480, PSS-590; Korg Kaossilator; G&L ASAT guitar, AdrenaLinn III.

Post by zielvis » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:24 pm

From the guitarist's standpoint my favourite was a small and simple unit made by Guyatone, Micro Delay MD 2. It sounded so good that the guy I sold it to called me after trying it out just to share his delight and he kept talking about geniuses who invented this stompbox for a pretty long time :)

These are really good FX boxes in my opinion. Had a few Micros and had no complaints.

Now I use AdrenaLinn for delays with my guitar and I like the ability to have it synced to midi clock a lot. That's a very interesting box in general. You should check it out (not only if You play guitar)

Regards,

Marcin
MacBook, Logic Express 8, Camel Audio Cameleon 5000, Microrock Pro, Arturia Analog Factory Experience, a bunch of plugins; Yamaha: PSS-480, PSS-590; G&L ASAT Leo Fender signature guitar, AdrenaLinn III, AdrenaLinn II

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:15 pm

so, 1000ms = 1 second, right?
if so, many popular pedals seem to offer little delay time.. like the DD3 with 2 seconds or so..
also, just so I don't make any mistakes here: by delay time, do you mean the time it takes before the sound "dies" out, or the time interval between each repeat? this bugs me a little, cand I don't see the appeal for a pedal with max delay time of only 1-2 seconds..

konvert

Post by konvert » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:22 pm

TrondC wrote:so, 1000ms = 1 second, right?
if so, many popular pedals seem to offer little delay time.. like the DD3 with 2 seconds or so..
also, just so I don't make any mistakes here: by delay time, do you mean the time it takes before the sound "dies" out, or the time interval between each repeat? this bugs me a little, cand I don't see the appeal for a pedal with max delay time of only 1-2 seconds..
Usually it means the max. time between each repeat.
Vermona DRM1 mk2, Casio CZ-1000, MaM VF-11, Boss PC-2, Korg Minipops Junior

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:14 pm

any unit that can do upwards of 500ms or more will be versatile enough for most apps short of looping phrases and such.

And one of the best-sounding I've come across is that little old Guyatone MD-2. Just delicious in every way, if limited. RE-201 Space Echo is the dubby freak-out delay echo fantastique, but mechanics put tape machines on a whole different plane.
Last edited by shaft9000 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:40 pm

premieklovn wrote:I love my Ibanez DE7. Its cheap and it sounds amazing. Too bad it lacks tap-tempo. With tap-tempo it would be the TB303 of delay pedals.
Amen. I had one of those years back and I loved it. However, those ToneLok pedals are bad build quality and I was using it every other night in a band as a guitarist so it finally died from getting stomped too much. Which leads me to this:
Carey M wrote:Anyone (aeon?) had any experience with the analog Ibanez rack delay? AD202 or something... I'm looking to get something rack-mountable and all those VRS23s have disappeared from eBay.
Because I like/missed my DE7 so much, but I was getting into rack gear I bought one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Y.m238.lVI

(that exact one fact)
but I haven't got to play with it yet. I'll let you know how I like it here is this thead when I do though.

PS - The self osciallationon the de7 is AMAZING! I used to use it as a "guitar solo" I liked it so much.
so what do I put down here now?

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:43 pm

Does the Adrenalinn do reverse delay?

zielvis
Gear: Logic Express 8, Cameleon 5000, Arturia Analog Factory Experience; Yamaha: PSS-480, PSS-590; Korg Kaossilator; G&L ASAT guitar, AdrenaLinn III.

Post by zielvis » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:19 am

Suburban Bather wrote:Does the Adrenalinn do reverse delay?
No. As a delay unt is very simple. What is unique is the delay time (You can easily set two-bar long repeats in reasonable tempos) and midi-syncing. Other than that it's pretty straightforward.
MacBook, Logic Express 8, Camel Audio Cameleon 5000, Microrock Pro, Arturia Analog Factory Experience, a bunch of plugins; Yamaha: PSS-480, PSS-590; G&L ASAT Leo Fender signature guitar, AdrenaLinn III, AdrenaLinn II

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:26 am

I don't know about the Adrenalinn III, but the two has an annoying design quirk where the feedback path is cancelled when you change the delay time, so there are a whole lot of effects you can't use it for.

I'd really like to try out the Eventide Time Factor delay, it looks great.

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:52 am

If I didn't already have the MF-104z and Deluxe Memory Man, I would definitely buy that Eventide delay. I just want a delay pedal that loops and does reverse. Don't really need it though, it would just be nice to have.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:59 am

yamaha e1005 answers all my dub needs.

otherwise, lexicon lxp-1's delay preset number 2 is perfect for vocals, and the dan-echo is it for most guitar tracks.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:58 am

Suburban Bather wrote:If I didn't already have the MF-104z and Deluxe Memory Man, I would definitely buy that Eventide delay. I just want a delay pedal that loops and does reverse. Don't really need it though, it would just be nice to have.
I'm not really a big fan of the new eventide delay pedal. I think it does a pretty poor job of vintage/tape emulations. The only delay effect that I like on it is the reverse delay. I haven't tried the loop function yet however.....

For a delay unit, I think it is pretty tame. I guess if you want a clean, tame, delay pedal, this may be the device for you. I like my ensoniq dp*'s delays much more.
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:34 pm

Is the Boss DD6 the cheapest delay that does reverse?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:44 pm

Suburban Bather wrote:Is the Boss DD6 the cheapest delay that does reverse?
its tied with the digitech digidelay, but i think the digitech sounds better.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.