Favorite Delay Pedal?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:47 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
Suburban Bather wrote:Is the Boss DD6 the cheapest delay that does reverse?
its tied with the digitech digidelay, but i think the digitech sounds better.
What about that Danelectro that only does reverse?

Hey Tallow, the E1005 is the smaller version of the E1010 I've got isn't it? If it sounds the same then it must be awesome, I love mine.

The 1010 has 5 buttons which switch between 10, 75, 150, 225 and 300ms, so if you've got a nicely timed delay on the 300ms setting and put in the 225 you get triplets. I've recorded tracks where I was playing the buttons while I was bouncing stuff through the 1010, it sounded incredible to be able to have a different delay time on each line of a vocal but have the same swing on each one, and keep the same feedback between lines.

Also, mine's been modded so the footswitch input is now a CV in which takes the place of the LFO. Mod depth is the same, but you can use anything as the mod source. :shock:

aeon

Post by aeon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:32 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Hey Tallow, the E1005 is the smaller version of the E1010 I've got isn't it? If it sounds the same then it must be awesome, I love mine.
Same basic sound, a little different packaging. No rack ears, but a dial to select the delay time on the E1005, and likely another difference or two.

Inexpensive and sounds good, what's not to like? ;)

cheers,
Ian

freemind

Post by freemind » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Roland RE201 - no doubt about it :) Line 6 Echo Park is also pretty neat.
Rhodes mkII 73,clavinet E7,MS10,alphaJuno2,kaossPad3,airsynth,Roland Re-201,Microkorg,Behringer mix,alesis soundcard. acoustic and electric guitars,various stompboxes.
http://www.przedeptane.pl http://www.jedzok.com/ http://www.blog.jedzok.com

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:56 pm

i have only had it for about a week, but i love it. i like to run things through it without the delay cranked to just get a nice rich sound. i love running my few dub songs drums through there and tweaking real time. it doesnt get much better...

so far it has boosted 2 rack units over to the guitar players (inferior) rack already. :twisted:
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:38 pm

tallowwaters wrote: i like to run things through it without the delay cranked to just get a nice rich sound.
Yeah it's good for that isn't it?

Here's a great tip for warming stuff up that might work with your 888, it's pretty easy to do with a DAW.

Run something that sounds a bit harsh through the delay with the mix 100% wet, feedback on 0. The delay time now basically works as a degradation dial, the longer the delay time the slower the BBD is clocked so the caps have time to leak charge and make everything sound great. After you've bounced through the unit you have to go back and line the track up again, but it's not too hard.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:36 am

been playing with that a bit already. :wink:

didnt really think about the time creating more mojo though...good tip.

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:32 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:
Suburban Bather wrote:Is the Boss DD6 the cheapest delay that does reverse?
its tied with the digitech digidelay, but i think the digitech sounds better.
I was not aware of a reverse only danelectro. I found it "Back Talk" on Ebay, wish me luck :P

Thank you Stab Frenzy!

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:11 pm

No probs, glad I could help. :thumbright:

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:47 pm

Suburban Bather wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
tallowwaters wrote: its tied with the digitech digidelay, but i think the digitech sounds better.
I was not aware of a reverse only danelectro. I found it "Back Talk" on Ebay, wish me luck :P

Thank you Stab Frenzy!
haha, a backwards-only delay, that's so funny :D
talk about one trick ponies :lol:
good luck!
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:17 am

I just had an idea. Tell me if this exists. What about an delay unit that has an LFO that controls delay time. Then you could make all sorts of wacky delay effects. I personally love tweaking the time knob so this seems really neat to me.

exist?
dicuss...
so what do I put down here now?

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:00 am

Tyler2000 wrote:I just had an idea. Tell me if this exists. What about an delay unit that has an LFO that controls delay time. Then you could make all sorts of wacky delay effects. I personally love tweaking the time knob so this seems really neat to me.

exist?
dicuss...
MF 104, but you will need an additional device with an LFO such as another Moogerfooger(with an LFO out) or an analog synth(with on LFO out). You can also use an expression pedal to control the delay time. The MF 104's feedback and mix controls can also be controlled by an external source like an LFO or expression pedal. You can even feed it audio signals for some extremely fast knob turning action.

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:04 am

Tyler2000 wrote:I just had an idea. Tell me if this exists. What about an delay unit that has an LFO that controls delay time. Then you could make all sorts of wacky delay effects. I personally love tweaking the time knob so this seems really neat to me.

exist?
dicuss...
its on the high end side but if you used a Moogerfooger MF-104Z Analog Delay's CV inputs with a CP-251 Control Processor's output this could work. maybe there are modular units with this functionality as well.

i get kind of excited when i think about using the 101, 104, 105 and 107 with the CP251, but then i remember not having the $ for all that stuff and needing a new DAW.

edit: Suburban Bather posted while i was busy dreaming. oh well.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:48 am

exist?
dicuss...
cant the lexicon vortex do this kind of insane s**t in spades?

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Post by Cruel Hoax » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:08 am

tallowwaters wrote:

exist?
dicuss...
cant the lexicon vortex do this kind of insane s**t in spades?
Yes.

Allow me to elaborate:
The Vortex is two delay lines and two "mod" effects blocks (as well as several feedback and crossfeedback modules), routed to one another, and especially sensitive to parameter changes: volume (input envelope follower) and LFO, etc. You can get ring-modded echoes (where the amount of ring-modding follows your playing volume) that turn into polyrhythmic dual loops when you switch the A/B box/pedal/stomp. Or envelope-controlled detuning with auto-panning, turning into a vibrato-echo, with input level controlling vibrato rate.

Seeing as this has become a "Your delay chain" thread, rather than "your favorite delay", allow me to post my chain:

Digitech 3.6 rack delay on Aux Send 1(which has an LFO for delay time, as well as Infinite Repeat/Loop and knobs for every parameter), which generally feeds:

EV spring reverb for dubby goodness on Aux Send 2, either of which might feed:

Tube Echoplex tape delay via Aux Send 3, generally feeding back to itself, and also through the other effects. Any of this stereo dub goo can feed:

Lexicon Vortex digital weirdness effect on Bus Send 5-6 (to maintain stereo imaging, or deliberate subversion thereof. Inputs 5-6 of the recorder are hardwired to the tube DI, so no conflict there)

And, as you see, any of these can be fed back into any other, which is the true secret of delay. Just did a project using the Echoplex for vocals where my partner performed EQ of the vocal Send to Echoplex live, while I performed EQ of the return/feedback live, as well as level riding.

God DAMN, it's good to have a large-format analog board back in effect at the place!

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

filtermod

Post by filtermod » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:25 pm

fabfilter's timeless (plug-in) has two LFO's that can be routed to any parameter (including delay time) AND synced to clock. it rocks for a software delay!
you can't fix stupid