Editing digital sound

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
thesnake383
Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno 60, JSQ-60, Linn Drum

Editing digital sound

Post by thesnake383 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:52 pm

I'm wondering whether it's possible with the sound editing technology that we have to make a digital sound warm. I ask this because I want the VariOS module, and use the VariOS-8 software to create voices that are similar to a Jupiter 8. With sound editing software, is it possible to edit the digital sounds to make them sound warmer, as if it was actually played on a real Jupiter 8?

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:58 pm

Running through analogue filters can add a more organic feel to the sound.

But, rather than use the VariOS-8, which I find rather limited, have you considered as soft synth, such as Arturia's Jupiter 8v? I've both surprised others and been surprised by others, when using soft synths in compositions. Some are quite good.

WD

mama.

Post by mama. » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:01 pm

mastering to VHS tape is a cheap way to get some warmth back into it

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:01 pm

running through analog filters would do it. playing through a keyboard amp and micing it through a good preamp will add some fatness too.

and for future reference, this belongs in the sound production forum. :wink:

crow

Post by crow » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:12 pm

Microwave!

Burger King version. NOT Waldorf.

You heard it here first.
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:17 pm

Ideally you do this from the start; free-running oscillators, non-linear distortions on the filter, slightly different tunings per voice (I hope Alesis didn't patent their analog drift - oh wait, enough prior art ;) ). Little bit of compression may compensate for slower envelopes.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:59 am

Actually, there's a great way to warm up digital synths... high-end preamps. Like a Great River, etc. The only bad part is the price of a good preamp.

m03

Post by m03 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:26 am

Tube Sweetener perhaps?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:29 pm

I often run softsynths out through my Yamaha E1010 analogue delay with the signal set to 100% wet, no feedback. You can change the delay time to get different amounts of signal degradation, makes stuff sound super warm.

Also it's worth running stuff through guitar pedals.

thesnake383
Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno 60, JSQ-60, Linn Drum

Post by thesnake383 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:29 pm

I can't seem to find analog filters for keyboards, just only ones for guitars. What shops carry analog filters for keyboards?

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:41 pm

virb.com/ookpikk

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Post by Cruel Hoax » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:48 am

Another thing I like to do is to separate my MIDI track into individual notes, then record the part in several passes. I like to change LFO rates between passes, ensuring that each note sounds slightly different. (You should have one or more LFOs routed to your sound to hear this. Try destinations of Detune, Waveshape, Env parameters, FX Send, etc.)

This also lets you "swell" each note, both in the colume domain, but also with filter brightness, leading to expressiveness that you really can't achieve any other way. Not to mention that you can now use separate panning and FX sends for the different notes in a chord. Yummy fodder fpr experimentation!

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen