Audio Interface for a MacBook Pro

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Audiotronic

Audio Interface for a MacBook Pro

Post by Audiotronic » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:25 am

I just got a new macbook pro and I would like to do some recording on it but I want to get the right audio interface. I will be useing garage band or pro tools or cubase as recording software. I know nothing about audio interfaces, but that they can alow you to record with no delay time into a computer which is what I am most concerned about. I will be useing one monosynth to record everything, drums, sequences and leads, to do this I need a audio interface that will have no delay. I don't want to spend a ton of money (under $500 if possable). What suggestions would you guys have on what I should get, thanks in advance!
Last edited by Audiotronic on Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:31 am

Presonus Firepod --> $399 USD

Presonus FP10 --> $499 USD

WD

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:24 am

If you want to use Pro Tools your only sub $500 options are an Mbox 2 or MBox 2 Mini, neither of which I would recommend. (unless you get m-powered and one of the cheap m-audio interfaces, which are even worse)

WDW's advice is sound, I'd also check out the Motu Ultralite which is a little more expensive but the audio quality is great and the drivers are very stable. You could also get a second-hand Motu 828mkII for under $500, which could be a good choice if you need more inputs. For smaller and cheaper the Presonus Firebox is worth a look too.

I'd also check out Logic Express 8 for software before you decide, it's much better than Cubase (IMO) and quite a bargain for the amount of synths and fx that come with it. Ableton Live is also worth looking at, it's very stable, comes with some nice synths and fx and is really fun and intuitive to use. A free demo is available to download here.

For context, I work in a studio that has quite a few Motu interfaces (896, 896HDs, Traveler, 828mkII), a few M-Audio 1814FWs and an RME Multiface, all running on Macs. I have a Digi 002 at home and my bandmate has a Motu 828mkII which we record with and until recently used live, both of us use Macs too. We decided to replace the 828mkII with something smaller and cheaper for the live shows and I'm going to get a Presonus Firebox similar to the ones WDW recommended.

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:11 pm

My Motu 828mkII going into my MBP is working out nicely. Got it for a little under 500 used, as Stab said. I also second the Logic Express recommendation, as it is fantastic for the price.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:00 pm

I've been happy with the MOTU Ultralite.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:26 pm

Personally, I use MOTU 828 mkIIs with my Macs, and I have been very happy. I did not know that they sold for under $500 used, as Stab Frenzy pointed out. I paid $700 new. Given my personal satisfaction with them, I would opt for a used MOTU 828 mkII for that price. [The Presonus gear that I cited in my initial post referenced the prices or new gear. I do not know the used prices, which obviously would be cheaper.]

WD

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:42 am

+1 for Motu!

make sure if you get the 828 you get the MkII as the MkI isnt fully supprted for OSX, still works but the routing software(cue) and punch isnt recognized... :x

BTW does anyone know a 3rd party app. for a workaround to this?
sell me your KS5!

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:19 pm

JSRockit wrote:I've been happy with the MOTU Ultralite.
Ditto.

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:36 pm

krushing wrote:
JSRockit wrote:...MOTU Ultralite.
Ditto.
one more ditto.

a great portable interface. if you want quality and you're concerned about latency, then buy MOTU. they arguably make the best interfaces on the market. although, i would say that for a little less money, Presonus does a good job.

dj_stick

Post by dj_stick » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:41 am

_seph wrote: they arguably make the best interfaces on the market.
I don't know… if you've got the cash I'm pretty sure an apogee or lavrie will beat that, but still, for the price, MOTU can't really be beaten

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Voyager, PEK, A6, FIZ, Six-Trak, Juno, CZ, and other stuff

Post by pangmaster » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:48 am

A lot higher in price than what you're looking to spend, but I think that some of the best bang-for-the-buck Mac FW interfaces are the Mobile I/O boxes from Metric Halo. MOTU is definitely good for the price, but MH is in a different league.
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

Audiotronic

Post by Audiotronic » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:01 am

Looks like the Motu Ultralite is going to be the way to go. Thats for all of the replys it helped me a lot!

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:56 am

I'd go with logic express. Its absolutely awesome, especially considering the price:features/bundled instruments/effects ratio.

I myself am going to be looking for a new audio interface for my iMac... I'm thinking either an 828mkII or an Apogee Duet...

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:04 pm

Just fyi, no Leopard drivers for MOTU stuff as of yet. The site says they're in "final testing" but that might take a while.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:21 pm

That is true. I'm still on tiger, but I might move to leopard immediately if I go with the apogee, which is already compatible. That might weight in on your decision... Is your new macbook pro already running leopard?