so really just how god awful are behringer mixers?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:15 pm

Anybody got one of those xenyx models with the built-in FX? I need something cheap that can apply a bit of reverb and delay to my synths. Just for fooling around at home. Is the xenyx fx-series what I want?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:54 pm

alesis and tapco make reasonable mixers with built in fx for cheap (though they may not be as available where you live)
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:04 pm

premieklovn wrote:Anybody got one of those xenyx models with the built-in FX? I need something cheap that can apply a bit of reverb and delay to my synths. Just for fooling around at home. Is the xenyx fx-series what I want?
For playing at home it's OK. Reverb is nice. Chorus too. Main drawback is, tha you cannot adjust delay time or feedback ratio - you just have a few presets and that's it. I have such mixer at home, and usually it's switched on "delay+reverb" preset - adds nice space to synths for playing.

But I wouldn't probably use this fx for serious recording - it's too noisy (although not as noisy as old BBD choruses :-P )
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

energetik

Post by energetik » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:31 am

I have a UB2442FX and I like it well enough. Mine seems a bit noisy in the effects section though. The build quality is pretty cheap, but it sure does what I need it to do and it was cheap. I can't really complain. I wouldn't cut a record on it, but for my home studio it's fine.
Modulate er... MODERATE THIS!

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:17 pm

same as above,

I use a xenyx sometimes when messing about, but the sound is quite badl, plus theres a serious amount of bleed though, and the effects are absolutely s**t. Mines in perfect condition, wire ties and all, but its just one of those pay for quality things.

You could record something professionally on one, but I wouldnt buy it. I doubt Id even download it.

Yet... I own one.... that I paid for...?
:?
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:19 pm

Might take a leaf out of richard d. james's book,

'xenyx twin'.

My new name....!
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:17 pm

tallowwaters wrote:alesis and tapco make reasonable mixers with built in fx for cheap (though they may not be as available where you live)
Got a link to the Tapco with built-in FX? Haven't seen that before.

sequence

Post by sequence » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:26 pm

Ive had up/down luck with all things Behringer, bad luck with their mixers and digital "curve" units (noise, loose jacks, and crappy power supplies), great luck with their V-Amp units, Virtualizer effects box, the tube composer, manual EQ, and that *wonderful* MIDI foot controller.

it's a c**p shoot at best. So, whenever I buy Behringer, at the store I always take it out of the box, plug it in, check all knobs and switches, and pray for the best. So far, about 60/40 good to bad.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:49 pm

I use a Xenyx 802 for the mix at my little home studio, and the unit has served me well for live play, and four-track demo recording, for almost a year now. The build quality, temperature build-up, and sound quality are all quite acceptable.

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:48 pm

Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:50 am

I've had the 1204(?) and the Xenyx 1204FX
both were acceptable, absolutely.
the fx were ok, nothing to go nuts-butts about though.. :P

it's not like I was using an expensive neumann mic with the preamps anyways so they didn't matter..
and we never used them for recording

other than that, excellent for the moneeeey
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:38 am

My first mixer was a Behringer. I thought it sounded ok at the time. It broke after 2 years. I replaced it with a Mackie that sounded worlds better. I didn't realized how noisy the Behringer was till I ran my music through something else.

Behringer is usable, but Mackie is waaay better. Mackie costs 5 times as much. *shrug*

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:38 pm

I made the same experience than JackAstro. My first mixer was from Behringer too...Not bad. Sure, for studio use not the best, but for live use when the noise is a little bit less important, no problem. You only have to open the fader until 60% of the possibilities, and then the noise is moderate. And there is not so much headroom...

I'm working with a Mackie for live use now, and yes. There is a difference ! Not only the brand, the build quality, but also in term of sound and EQ. I don't have to say that i prefer the Mackie sound...

But for somebody with a very tight budget, a Behringer mixer is absolutely ok.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:30 am

spookyman wrote:Sure, for studio use not the best, but for live use when the noise is a little bit less important, no problem.
I should add, I have seen several "name brand" artists use Behringer live.

One thing I really liked about my Behringer was that it was small. The smallest 10 channel mixer on the market, which is why I got it.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:54 pm

JackAstro wrote:
spookyman wrote:Sure, for studio use not the best, but for live use when the noise is a little bit less important, no problem.
I should add, I have seen several "name brand" artists use Behringer live.

One thing I really liked about my Behringer was that it was small. The smallest 10 channel mixer on the market, which is why I got it.
Well Behringer is so cheap that even if you break it, it won't matter that much, you'll just get a new one..
So that's probably why it's preferred for live use, especially at places where people get shabby and tend to pour their drinks all over the "stage" :D hah
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..