Dntel, Dosh, Boards of Canada

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
rivas3
Band: Bad Employees

Post by rivas3 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:47 pm

xibalba wrote:there is a youtube video on DNTEL (doesnt explain his process) but gives insight to all of his gear (its very informative) try searching on youtube for it as i am at work right now and do not have access to youtube
here is the link to the video you speak of. its a great video, and really cool of him to put something like this up. what surprised me was that there isnt a mixing board, i guess everything is just plugged into his 828's. i use a mackie mixer, so all things can get plugged in and re-routed around, but im curious as to how many of you all take dntel's approach?

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:52 pm

rivas3 wrote:
xibalba wrote:there is a youtube video on DNTEL (doesnt explain his process) but gives insight to all of his gear (its very informative) try searching on youtube for it as i am at work right now and do not have access to youtube
here is the link to the video you speak of. its a great video, and really cool of him to put something like this up. what surprised me was that there isnt a mixing board, i guess everything is just plugged into his 828's. i use a mackie mixer, so all things can get plugged in and re-routed around, but im curious as to how many of you all take dntel's approach?

thanks for putting the link up. yea it is a great video (dntel is currently one of my faves right behind battles). i use the same setup you have, i plug everything into my mixer then into my firepod which gets routed into my computer (i use this setup because i like a hands on approach to making music except for recording that is far easier on computers than on any type of hardware multi-track)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:56 pm

rivas3 wrote: but im curious as to how many of you all take dntel's approach?
I use a mixer only when making the tracks...once it comes down to recording...I don't use the mixer anymore. If I had a higher quality mixer, I might...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

rivas3
Band: Bad Employees

Post by rivas3 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:15 pm

yeah, i run everything into my mixer, and out too. i like hitting different gear, filters, compressors, whatever, then mix them together and send that track to my 828. then i just use software to do the songs mixing.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:33 pm

rivas3 wrote:yeah, i run everything into my mixer, and out too. i like hitting different gear, filters, compressors, whatever, then mix them together and send that track to my 828. then i just use software to do the songs mixing.
Exactly... though I'm a little thin on the hardware processors. I think this is normal for alot of people these days.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:06 pm

JSRockit wrote:
TrondC wrote:check out DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing" for even more hard work. IMO, that album is one of the most interesting sampling-works I've ever heard
Yeah, way to make him feel like he should give up (after listening to that)...
well that may be true, but I only meant to check out another way of making sample-based music, any attempt at actually trying to recreate shadow would probably result in suicide and madness.. :p

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:25 pm

just a tip for BoC synth sounds.

With the right synths (analog?).. you should be able to get some of the exact sounds pretty easily... don't just throw in the towel thinking it all must be post production magic.

slow LFO's are your friend. And recording to tape never hurts.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:51 pm

TrondC wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
TrondC wrote:check out DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing" for even more hard work. IMO, that album is one of the most interesting sampling-works I've ever heard
Yeah, way to make him feel like he should give up (after listening to that)...
well that may be true, but I only meant to check out another way of making sample-based music, any attempt at actually trying to recreate shadow would probably result in suicide and madness.. :p
The way I look at music is to compare it to something else... like basketball. To be great, takes alot of work... to be unique, even more work. However, some people can just dunk the first time they step on the court, while others will never dunk. However, just because you can't dunk doesn't mean you can't play well. So, to me...while DJ Shadow could be the pinnacle of great MPC programming... it doesn't mean that you can't make music that isn't good with less skills. You just have to put in the time and find your own way.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:01 pm

( a lot of samples off that record are pretty long .. not too much programming on there ... having friends that work at Dusty Groove sort of ruined the mystery of that record for me ;) )

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:21 pm

knowing the samples off of certain records takes the wind out a record.

Sometimes if I know an artist uses a lot of samples its fun to play, "name that sample".

I think the reason I love Amon Tobin new record is just trying to figure out what's what on it. the burb in one of the songs is sweet, comes in a the perfect time.

I was luckly enough to be young enough at the right time to know a lot of record that get lifted for samples. I am also lucky enough to have had a babysitter who's son worked at a radio station that didnt play disco, funk, r&b, and soul and let her son take all the promos and sent records in home. I was lucky enough that he let me sit in his room with my portable record player and listen to tracks while I let him use my dual tape deck to make mixes.

BoC stuff is a lot easier than you think. filters, string synths, sampler, guitars, reel to reel tape decks. its the reels to reels that gives thier records that "feel" and those "samples"
Last edited by wiss on Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:27 pm

btw - I love the basketball analogy

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:27 pm

JSRockit wrote:
TrondC wrote:
JSRockit wrote: Yeah, way to make him feel like he should give up (after listening to that)...
The way I look at music is to compare it to something else... like basketball. To be great, takes alot of work... to be unique, even more work. However, some people can just dunk the first time they step on the court, while others will never dunk. However, just because you can't dunk doesn't mean you can't play well. So, to me...while DJ Shadow could be the pinnacle of great MPC programming... it doesn't mean that you can't make music that isn't good with less skills. You just have to put in the time and find your own way.
Very nice analogy, Rockit. Makes me want to get to work on some tracks!!

Unfortunately, I've got too many other projects going right now. :cry:

Incidentally, my setup is like Dntel's. No mixer. It goes:

Gear -> Patchbay -> Great River Pre's -> Distressors (usually) -> Interface

SamGarvin

Post by SamGarvin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:26 am

So, since im obviously very new at this id love a few things explained. First a few technical things...

I literally just got my setup very recently and am still working things out. Right now it consists of a microkorg, few guitars, and as of this weekend an MPC all thrown through a FastTrack Pro into Abelton Live 6. What can i do that is easy, and cost effective to make this more manageable? How would a mixer help me? or maybe a midi keyboard? Also, with Abelton, is there anyway to sinc the recorded audio and drumtracks perfectly without me having to record everything in exact tempo, because thats f**k hard. Or am i better off just buying a new better program? If so, what?

Now as for hardware, if i want to do something along the lines of Dntel, or BoC or Styrofoam or whatever, is the MPC worth it? Or is there something better to buy or more practical?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:32 am

I think the mpc is the best piece of gear, period.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

SamGarvin

Post by SamGarvin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:40 am

Yeah, obviously what i have couldnt even reallly be called a setup. Its just all i have for now.

Little problem, i just went into Abelton to fool around and was recording some guitar tracks but it got all wierd. Im getting patchy input like cutting in and out with some static and bleeps. Any ideas?