non computer recording

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
amatsov

non computer recording

Post by amatsov » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:37 am

please advise!
I would like to record, but dont like the idea of useing the computer.

first of all I would like the recorder to be very simple and intuitive to use.
I have no need for built-in effects as I use the racks I have.nearly all instruments I use are analog, so I would like that all together it would sound as warm and analog-like as possible and 8 different tracks are fine, I dont need more.the build quality and the sound that comes out of the recorder ,must be good.
thanks!

jasedee

Post by jasedee » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:51 am

How about...

*Tascam DA-88
*Alesis ADAT (blackface/XT)
*Alesis ADAT HD24
*Mackie HDR24

The first 2 are 8 track recorders, the second two are sort of modern day versions using hard disk instead of digital tapes. Hook up any of those to a decent console and you have a nice little recording rig for your synths.

Or, you can't get more analogue than using an analogue reel to reel recorder. Otari make great machines, as do Studer. More maintenance costs than the digital multitrackers
l::l CS-10 l::l DX7 mkIIFD l::l Motif Rack l::l D-50 l::l Juno 60 l::l Virus Rack XL l::l ER-1mkII l::l TR-707 l::l MC-303

MYSPACE

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:33 pm

We use an Alesis HD24 ADAT machine in the recording studio at my school. It's pretty awesome, since you can record your progress with that, and then when all the studio tracks are ready, the raw material can be imported to your computer (using a Fireport with the HD24's hard disk, IIRC) and be edited digitally.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:47 pm

I had a Fostex MR8MkII. Good, basic, bare-bones 8-track digital recording. They go for about $250, and record to a Compact Flash card -- though I'd recommend buying a 2GB card if you go for it, OR look at the MR8HD, which has a 40GB hard drive.

To some extent all of the digital recorders do pretty much the same things in the same way.

I wish I hadn't sold the Fostex, though. Recording to computer is great, but there are times when it's a PITA.

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:35 pm

I had a Fostex MR8. Couldn't stand the interface; sold it, having never used it.

alpha5000dk
Gear: Clavia|NordRack2X
Korg|TritonLe
MFB|FilterBox
Waldorf| Rocket
National|SX-3800a

Post by alpha5000dk » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:03 pm

Well, I have the Fostex MR8-HD and I love it. I am very pleased with it's sound quality =D>

Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: The Metamorph

Post by Logan 5 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:21 pm

After years of recording on a 4-track Yamaha cassette multitrack,I invested in a BOSS BR-864.It is still quite easy to find for a good price and I find its features,reliability and quality are perfect for my needs.
I never use a computer in my recording process-only to upload the wav file from the recorder to my webpage.
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,VOLCA,JV1000,CIRCUIT,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

https://twitter.com/TheMetamorphUK
https://themetamorph.bandcamp.com/

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:32 pm

I'm sure someone realesed a CDR mastering recorder with built in HD and multiband limiter tho I don't think it was cheap.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:22 pm

Oh man :(
I just wrote a huge reply and then I get the:
"Could not connect to database" blah blah blah error :cry:

anyways, it was about recording everything (seperate tracks) into a computer (so you can rearrange it later if you need) and then out of the computer -> effects, maybe some compressors+limiters, etc -> mixer (with aux sends to effects if you want more) -> 2 track master reel to reel tape recorder
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Re: non computer recording

Post by ronP » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:55 pm

amatsov wrote:please advise!
I would like to record, but dont like the idea of useing the computer.

first of all I would like the recorder to be very simple and intuitive to use.
I have no need for built-in effects as I use the racks I have.nearly all instruments I use are analog, so I would like that all together it would sound as warm and analog-like as possible and 8 different tracks are fine, I dont need more.the build quality and the sound that comes out of the recorder ,must be good.
thanks!

ZOOM recorders are good. I use an MRS-4B for demos at home. The new HD8 and HD16 can give you a quality 8 or 16 tracks respectively, which you can then record to CD with the onboard burner.

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:06 pm

I've got an idea.

How about an Akai MPC1000? I have one of these, which I've used before as a crude multitrack record (triggering track playback with the pads).

Recently I upgraded this to what is known as the "JJ OS" (an alternative operating system). Basically, for very little money you can buy this software to install on your Akai.

I've not fully tested JJ OS out yet, but one of the enhanced functions appears to be an 8-track multitrack recorder. Add that onto the MIDI and sampling features that make the Akai extremely handy for drum tracks etc, might be worth a shot.

mirt

Post by mirt » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:20 pm

If you'll find one of Akai MG 1214 it could be good idea it is 12 track recorder with mixer for special 1/2 inch casettes. i've used one for couple of years, it is realy good sounding analog recorder and it's simple.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:16 pm

mirt wrote:If you'll find one of Akai MG 1214 it could be good idea it is 12 track recorder with mixer for special 1/2 inch casettes. i've used one for couple of years, it is realy good sounding analog recorder and it's simple.
quick look at it:
uses Betamax tapes = superb quality (as used in professional television broadcasting, still used today)
has the original mpc 60 design look = leather wristrest and beige colors..

I'm intrigued, where the thell did you find this?
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

mirt

Post by mirt » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:13 pm

I found it in Poland, i saw here few of them most cut down and changed for the mixer (realy good one imo with parametric high midle and bottom eq), i have one with 10 tapes, but it's broken, there is noise on 3 chanels and troubles with opening and closing the deck. i was thinking about reparing it but i can sell it cheap or trade it for analog gear, now i'm recording on 1/2" tascam msr16.

Gary_Munday

Post by Gary_Munday » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:15 pm

I'm a dinosaur when it comes to music, recording & production. Originally I was all set on an old reel to reel recorder, but they are very hard to maintain and parts are sometimes hard to come by. So I went for the next best thing.

I'm not denying the fact that computer / DAW software is powerful (as editing is obviously at a click of a mouse). However, too many againsts put me off of a computer DAW. For that reason, I went with a hardware recorder that is fast, adaptable, nice sounding and does the job.

So.....I chose the Zoom HD16CD and haven't looked back. It's a good looking multitrack (but I don't care much for looks) - the important thing is that it does what it is suppose to do, and that is to record audio and offer features to edit and tidy up that audio. It's a solid unit and do you know what, it hasn't crashed on me once. You wait.....bet there will be a power cut any second...... :wink:

Feature wise it offers a good range of editing such as your essentials (copy, erase, trim, bounce, move etc etc) and more. The quality (bearing in mind that this recorder is only 500) - in a nutshell, I think is very good. Although a bit of hiss is important in older sounding recordings, the HD16CD can sound more or less 'hissless' if not too quiet at times!

The onboard drum sounds are OK (useable) but I don't really like the onboard bass sounds - not that I'd use them. It offers combo inputs which is great if your gear has a little more than the 'standard' TRS. I think the effects are alright, and the mastering effects on this machine are really satisfying - even unbelievably satisfying which makes the process of getting ready for a CD-R a treat. The entire unit works for me. I wouldn't be without it.

I tell you what, my music uses quite a few tracks (bearing in mind it provides 4 dedicated stereo tracks already linked - so that works out at 8 mono (2 for every stereo if you like). At first I thought of how I might deal with running out of tracks. Not a problem. Bounce or mixdown >> and free up tracks. Record back to a stereo and that really frees up the tracks.

There's not much menu digging and everything can be accessed from the click of a button (thank god). It's a brilliant recorder. As always, 16 tracks are sat there - it's how you use those 16 tracks that count.