Studio monitors

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Studio monitors

Post by premieklovn » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi

I'm planning on buying something a bit better than my Dell-c**p-speakers and I was thinking about studio monitors. Im going to use them for listening to music, playing synths and maybe some studio work. I need them to be relatively cheap and so far I've looked at the Behringer MS40 (I'm not very fond of buying behringer stuff but atm its pretty much all I can afford) and the ESI nEar 05 eXperience. I like the fact that the MS40s have several inputs and independent volum pots. This way I can use one input for music and another one for synths.

Are these OK budget monitors? Are cheap monitors really that bad? Any recommendations?

-K

Lutraphobe

Post by Lutraphobe » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:46 pm

When the Behringer Truth monitors came out I remember people saying they were one of Behringer's better products, so some of that may have transferred to the MS40's...

The important thing when buying monitors is to listen to them in the store, with a cd you know really well, and just compare. In the end, getting monitors that sound right to you is more important than anything.
-Ensoniq ESQ-1, Korg Poly-800, Korg EA-1, Yamaha RM1x, Reason 2.5-

mono/noise

Post by mono/noise » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:06 pm

I'm own the nEar 05 eXperience.

I went into the store to buy the Tapco S5 monitors but after listening to a few similar priced models( Behringer, M-audio + more ) I decided to go with the nEar 05.

I would suggest taking some cd's with you and spending some time listening to different models in the store. I know a lot of people that like the Behringer Truth's but they are all doing hip hop'ish music.
The bass in the Esi's seems more balanced and flat to me while the Truths pump it up a bit.

But monitor choices are very personal so bring some music you know well and see how it translates.
www.myspace.com/mnoise

Gadgets: Pulse+_Opera 6_Jen SX1000_microKorg
Xbase 09_SK-5_CZ-3000_ESQ-1_Electone A-55_Theremin
Cracklebox_Thingamagoop_Game Boy( LSDJ )_KP3_MPD24
Tascam Porta 07_Multimix 12_Logic Studio_Live 6

Twiddler

Post by Twiddler » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:16 am

Save up for better!!!

If you can't wait though, the nEar 05 have helped many a budget nerd, including me. They do have separate volumeknobbies. And ESI made 08's too, recently.

The name my budget-friends drop at the moment is Prodipe. They look good for money, I have no first experience on them though.

Behringer monitors was the first I ruled out on my quest a few years ago.

ADAM A7 or Mackie HR626 are double the price or more, but much better IMO (although different from each other), so if you can reach that level, save up. Dynaudio makes great stuff and have a semi-budget one too.

I even saved up for a pair of ADAM P11's, and I'm still that much money happier.

:lol:

premieklovn

Post by premieklovn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:30 pm

Thanks! I think I'm going to check out the ESI nEAR monitors. They seem to be nice and in my price range. I don't need the best since I'm not going to use them for anything professional. Mainly listening to music and playing the synths.

Oh gosh it's hard to spend money on the non-creative stuff.

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:53 am

One thing you are going to notice about studio monitors is they are very flat sounding. Don't expect any booming bass, which we are accustomed to with regular audio speakers. You'll need a sub to take care of the low end, especially if you intend to use them as your main source of sound.

premieklovn

Post by premieklovn » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:20 am

I tried out some Fostex PM 04 at a store and they sounded pretty considering the low cost. I think I might go with these. Anybody have any experience with the Fostex PM 04?

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:56 am

also keep in mind that your space is going to have as much as an effect on your sound as your speaker will so if your only looking to do some basic things, dont go high end unless you intend on treating your space. $1200 monitors will hype a mix just as bad as $500 ones in a poor space
Last edited by Altitude on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

acmesoundlab

Post by acmesoundlab » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:26 pm

The KRK budget versions are one of the best values in my opinion, Guitar Center has regular sales on them. -Acme

caligari

Post by caligari » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:41 pm

I have a pair of Alesis Mkiis that I really like - wonderful sound and under 400 dollars a pair, maybe cheaper now.
Current Rig : Mac G5, MOTU 828 mkII, Moog Minimoog, Arp Axxe, Korg Poly 61m, Korg Poly-800, Korg Microkorg, Ensoniq ESQ 1, SQ-80, EPS sampler, DX-27, DX-7, Rx-5 drum machine, Alesis HR-16, Boss Dr-55, Synare, PAIA 9700 system, Roland MKS-100,

Antonino

Post by Antonino » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:15 pm

If you are just starting and you are on a budget I would suggest the edifier r1000.. they literally cost peanuts (50$) but they sound much better than what the price would suggest.. they are real monitors that sound sometimes better than higher priced ones of more famous brands like behringer and m-audio.. in anycase, they cost 50$ but they sound like at least a 150$ pair of monitors :D
If you look for something better I would suggest the yamaha hs-50m or the krk rp5.. but they cost quite a lot more..
in my opinion the edifiers are the way to go to start.. i mean.. 50$ is really a great price for what you actually buy.. and if you don't like them you only spent 50$.. I bought the r1000 and i'm really happy with them.. like many other people here in italy :D
Hardware:Alpha Juno 2/microKORG/MS-404/Performer/S-330/Dr-550 mkII/DRP-2/PC-200/LPK25/MC-50/Console RMX/FA-101/M4400/SR1259IT---Software:Reaper/Ableton Live/Too many free VSTs---Owned:D-20/nanoKEY---Coming Soon:D110/FM7---Dreams:Fizmo

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Post by Cruel Hoax » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:48 am

On a budget, I'd go for some Yamaha monitors. The HSx0Ms are great monitors, but you can often find a pair of older MSP5s for dirt cheap. They sound great (if a bit "forward") and I've seen 'em take a 6-foot dive onto concrete and survive with only scuffs. Multiple times.

Many midrange studios around town are using the Yamaha HS-80m monitors as their nearfield monitors. Can't argue with 'em; I work in a studio that uses 'em and they're great, translation-wise.

The Yamahas are very present in the mid-highs (just as ye olde NS-10s used to be) so they might not be your cup of tea. The KRK V-series shares this characteristic somewhat, though their emphasis is a bit more into the mids than the mid-highs. For me, this makes it easier to mix vocals, guitar and snare.

The KRK Rokits, however, are the opposite. They come across very polite in the midrange, with a "scoopy" sound akin to many home hi-fi systems. You may find that this sound works for you. The Alesis active monitors have a similar "mid-lite" sound, with a bit heavier bass.

Anyway, hope this helps a bt. I've OWNED or specced my studio with:
Yamaha MSP5
Yamaha HS-50m
KRK Rokit 5
KRK V4II
Yamaha HS-80m
DynAudio Air20

bla bla bla

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:35 pm

I recommend the Yamaha MSP5's as a great entry level to studio monitoring. They're the best in their price range. They were my first monitors, incredibly robust and put out a nice, albeit slightly bass light sound.

In the lower price range, dont be tempted by 'Powerfull bass' or 'loud' sales talk. Unless your buying mid to high end monitors (which your not) then all your going to get it a blowly, inacurate fatiguing sound.

Just my opinion of course. The MSP5 are tight sounding for the money.

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

premieklovn

Post by premieklovn » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:00 am

Thanks people!

Anybody tried the Spirit Absolute Zero monitors? I can get them really cheap.

nilade

Post by nilade » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:57 am

I just noticed the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 monitors on Sweetwater for the first time (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AV40/).
$150 there. And actually ten bucks cheaper, also with free shipping Amazon.

Anybody have any experience with these? I know what an important component monitors are in recording, but I am in the words of Uncle Leo, "on a very fixed income!" So there's not much left after I take care of the core essentials and I never get around to good monitors.