melodies in different keys

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
JackAstro

melodies in different keys

Post by JackAstro » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:10 am

Anybody ever try writing melodies in different keys--like having one in A and another in Am?

Twiddler

Post by Twiddler » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:54 am

That's polytonality, or bitonality, and can be great!!!

Lots of contemporary (or so) 'classical' composers have messed and made music and theories about and with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytonality

care to give an example?

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:06 am

Thanks Twiddler.

I am trying to write a song using only 2 monophonic synths. I came up with some chords. I wrote a bassline to define the chords and a melody to go over them. The melody is rather busy and I think it defines the chords well on it's own, so I was thinking of scrapping the bassline and doing something different.

In more detail, the chords are Cm Gm Cm Gm G# G#Ddim Fm. (please excuse my use of sharps, but I couldn't find a flat key on the keyboard. lol (Also, I know the Ddim should be a Ddim7, but I am trying to stick to triads, long story.)) The main melody play the notes from the chords with no passing tones or color notes.

I was thinking of having the second melody play chords a third higher. So far it sounds ok. I wanted to know if anybody has any rules or tricks for doing this sort of thing.