For those of you with more than 4 synths...Studio Setup?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:42 pm

Synths -> Mackie CR1604vlz(8 Direct Outs) -> MOTU 828 mkII firewire(has 10 analog ins)
The other 2 channels are a submix of one main synth, and all remaining lesser used gear. This setup allows me to keep a channel insert on every channel available.

Then the output stage is:
MOTU 828 mkII(10 analog outs) -> Mackie 1202vlz mix to stereo -> Monitors
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

theplateauxofmirror
Gear: esq1, ion, dx7s, alpha juno 1, k-station

Post by theplateauxofmirror » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:07 pm

i don't have anywhere near as much stuff as some of you guys, but i run my four synths into a carvin pa/keyboard amp, which has five channels and good control of eq and mixing. one of the synths is running through a digitech rp200 guitar effects processor. to record, i just mic the amp with my computer and mix everything in garageband. i can't afford anything better at the moment.
ion - dx7s - alpha juno 1 - k-station - piano forte (buy it)

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:19 pm

Right now, I'm not doing any recording, just noodeling. I have all my synths first running into patch bays and then into my Roland M-480. If I ever have the time to do some recording, I can patch out of the patchbays into a recorder.

In the early 90's when I did record, I used the M-480 as a submixer. Analog tracks from the track machine ran into another "main" board and the mix out of the M-480 into a stereo return on the main board.

Z
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

eskimo

Post by eskimo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:50 pm

hageir wrote:do any of you gus record a flat 2-track straight out of the mixer?
you can't fix anything later on, how do you work around it?
just record everything over and over again until it's perfect? -you nuts?! :)
I've always recorded straight to 2-track. Whenever I would multitrack I would get too obsessed with what I COULD be doing with the tracks. -I'd never get anywhere, and everything would start to sound too processed. I was also always afraid of sync issues between the multi-track software and midi.. I used to get a little crazy on midi tracks. -It was a lot for a Pentium 200.

I figured that I had enough outs on my gear, and a big enough board, running a one shot recording would give you similar dynamic tweaks. Complex audio processng parts would be prerecorded, squirrelled in Soundforge and then resampled.
But I'm nuts and would record everything a 100 times anyway.
When I had a good mix I'd do a mild compression on the track, then a DB boost,or maybe a DB boost then compression.. I don't remember.
I know you understand,

ASR-x/CS1-x/Wavestation AD/MicroModular/Morpheus/VX600/DX200/microwaveXT/MS2000R
~eskimo~

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:27 pm

Synths -> Soundcraft 200B mixer -> X-Station (stereo audio interface)

The problem with audio interfaces that have over 8 ins is that they tend to be rather expensive. Second hand analogue mixing desks can be had for nothing and allow me to mix my keyboards, a guitar and mics down to stereo cheaply and since I only record one part at the time this really is the most cost effective solution.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:52 pm

i'm hybrid: i use an 896 & an 828 & a 16-ch Mackie mixer. i'm still not a fan of audio interface mixing but really hope i change my mind because i would love to switch to an automated Mackie control surface rather than getting a 32-channel. right now i'm in the process of slimming down my collection of synths and beefing up my recording capabilities.

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:34 pm

Some schizoid combo of a Allen & Heath Mixwizard, small patchbay, the analog inputs of a Kurzweil KSP8, and sometimes (not my) LittleLabs PCP 3.0.

cheers
Ian

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:40 pm

Every output and input for everything I have racked goes into a bunch of patchbays, while the keys across the room are plugged in as required. All audio goes into a 16-channel Mackie, which is normalled in stereo outs to the audio interface inputs (presonus firepod). I can still go direct into the other inputs on the interface, and override normalled connections easily.

When composing (if that's not too grand a word for the kind of mucking about I seem to do mostly) I have all sorts of things running at once, but when recording I like to run only one audio track at a time with one instrument or subset of sounds on it - a drum machine or synth, maybe. That way I can keep tabs on aspects of the sound as it progresses better.

Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: The Metamorph

Post by Logan 5 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:46 pm

My synths, modules and drum machines all get fed into my Yamaha MG10/2 mixer,then stereo output to my BOSS BR864 digital recorder.
No computer used.
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,VOLCA,JV1000,CIRCUIT,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

https://twitter.com/TheMetamorphUK
https://themetamorph.bandcamp.com/

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:15 pm

synths -> Soundcraft Spirit Studio desk -> MOTU 828mk2

Master stereo out and buses 3-8 go to the 8 ins in the back of the motu. I could also use the per-track tape sends if I were so inclined. I could get a lot done if I didn't suck with Logic

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:32 pm

hageir wrote:do any of you guys record a flat 2-track straight out of the mixer? you can't fix anything later on, how do you work around it?
I probably create my songs differently than a lot of you. I usually go about it one of two ways:
1. Record skeletal sequencer arrangement of drums and bass/melody live from laptop through mixer to DAW then overdub other synths/FX later, sometimes even monkeying with the arrangement afterwards; or
2. Record hand-played melodic ideas to click live through mixer, then go back later and then overdub anything else. Sometimes I add sequencer stuff later live and then sync everything by hand.

I don't use MIDI for anything but playing my modules from a keyboard. I don't do any MIDI sequencing. If I don't get something right, I go back and play it again and again until I get it right. I'm used to that from playing drums and guitar before doing electronic stuff. I'm more comfortable with that than sequencing. Occasionally once I layer stuff the volumes or sounds are wrong from the original sequence, so I'll go back and change things then re-record the sequence.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:58 pm

instruments -> mixer -> computer
hageir wrote:do any of you gus record a flat 2-track straight out of the mixer?
you can't fix anything later on, how do you work around it?
yep. it takes a long time to get a good take. but no longer than fixing a bad take.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:43 pm

In my Home Studio : Synths, racks, Drum Machines ---> patchbay ---> C279 (only 6 channels) ---> Digi002
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:29 pm

Fostex 16-channel line mixer.

1+2: Roland JV1080
3+4: Akai S2800i
5+6: Akai S1000
7: Yamaha DX7
8: Yamaha TX7
9+10: E-mu E4K main outs
11+12: E-mu E4K sub outs 1
13+14: E-mu E4K sub outs 2
15+16: E-mu E4K sub outs 3

Audio outs to Yamaha P150 speakers just for fun playing.

Gilles
GC

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:47 pm

I have everything patched through my patch bay and mono into my Tascam TM-D1000. This way, I have everything available quickly and if I need to record stereo, I can just patch in to an adjacent channel. The aux/grp busses are just patched into to bay and can be set up quickly for a variety of things. I also use a Rane SM26B to submix the drum machines