panning instruments when using effects..

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
laserboy

panning instruments when using effects..

Post by laserboy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:37 pm

i want to pan some instruments in my tracks to left or right..
but when i put any effect on them ( i use only only hardware as Dp4 or Mpx-1) then they are everywhere in the mix..the same with delays..
how can u keep them in one position when using effects?

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:46 pm

are you using aux sends?
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

laserboy

Post by laserboy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:16 pm

yes im using all by the send and returns of my mackie 1604 vlz..

i use the returns only in mono

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:06 pm

I don't know much about AUX's so that might be your problem..
anyways, you might wanna try putting the effects directly in the chain and then into the mixer..
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:11 pm

You could put the FX out into a single channel, rather than the AUX Return, that would give you panning control.
virb.com/ookpikk

eminor9

Post by eminor9 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:57 pm

laserboy wrote: i use the returns only in mono
Well, that's the problem.
AFAIK these units have 4 stereo returns - you should route the outs of your efx processor to various returns and play with their gain levels / pan controls (if available).
Experimenting is key here, mute dry signals, pan dry signal slightly left and effected right etc

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:11 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:You could put the FX out into a single channel, rather than the AUX Return, that would give you panning control.
More good advice from someone who actually knows what he's doing! :thumbright:

It's fun to play around and have the dry signal panned to one side and the delay panned to the other, gives some nice movement to the track and lets you hear the delay without having to crank it up.

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Post by Cruel Hoax » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:48 am

Consider using your existing sends and returns in stereo.

For example connect Aux Sends 1 & 2 to DP4 inputs 1&2. Set up two mono reverbs on machine 1&2, with their outputs assigned to outputs 1&2, respectively. Connect DP4 ouputs 1&2 to Aux Return 1, left and right

Now, to position the reverb, you vary aux send 1 and two. For a simple example, say you've got a tom fill happening across 3 toms, which you've panned Left, Center and Right. On tom 1's channel (which is panned left) you turn up Aux Send 1, which feeds DP4 input 1, which feeds DP4 output 1, and is panned left (because you've already plugged dp4 out 1 to aux return 1, left side.) On tom 3's channel (panned right) you turn up Aux send 2, which feeds the right side of your reverb, and returns panned right. For tom 2 (center) you turn up both sends, giving you stereo verb, but centered.

You can use your MPx1 in the same way, feeding it from sends 3&4.

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen