let's talk about Boss compact pedals

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

let's talk about Boss compact pedals

Post by Tyler2000 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:04 pm

Which Boss pedals have you had?

Which ones do you still have?

Which one is your fav.?

Which one's would you like to try?

I have only 4 myself, DS-1, PH-3, BF-2, and whatever the Japanese-made Bass EQ is (I would trade this for anothher Boss?). Still have them. The PH-3 is my fav out of those. The tap tempo is really useful and I like all the modes. I also like that it turns into a fixed filter if you turn the rate all the way down. I've messed with the TR-2 and thought it was pretty cool (anybdy selling one?). The PS-5 is pretty amazing too.

Anybody got a really rare one?

Go!
so what do I put down here now?

Twiddler

Post by Twiddler » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:42 pm

DD-3 not DD-5

(whoa what a statement huh!?)

because 3 doesn't step.

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:51 am

PS-2 and DD-6. PS-2 to for lo-fi delay and pitch shifting, DD-6 mainly for reverse but the loop and warp mode will be used eventually. Looking to buy a PS-3 and waiting impatiently for a PS-5 to arrive.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:03 am

Hah!
I was just going to buy a DD-6 (I'm browsing ebay)
and maybe a PS-2 and a RV-3

Anyways, never had a Boss pedal, but I'm guessing they're the s**t :)
My friend used a DD-6 on his vocals for a rock band he's in (but it got stolen, along with his EH Freq. Analyzer and more stuff) it was AWESOME
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: let's talk about Boss compact pedals

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:34 am

Tyler2000 wrote:Anybody got a really rare one?
I got a FZ-2 and seems like it's quiet rare nowadays. Used to bought two of 'em but only keep one in a good condition. It was Taiwan Made but very solid and sounds like heaven. It's my all time favorite. Other pedal that I would like to try is the SYB-3 and SYB-5.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:26 am

DS-2 Turbo Distortion
MT-2 Metal Zone
Tremolo TR-2
Phaser PH-1r (the rare one of the bunch)

... all juiced with a Dunlop DC-Brick.

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:45 am

Boss DD-6 - I like how you can tap 4/4 and just turn the timesetting and get "triplets" and s**t. Very useful when doing arpstuff. Dackadackadackadacka.

Boss SD-1 - Decent and cheap overdrive. Nothing special

I really want a SYB-3/6 as well.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:24 am

Only owned the Syb-3, but it's quite neat. Bit of a one-trick pony, but can do some really nice bass if the input signal is a clear tone (an unmodulated synth for example), currently I've used it for some slightly out of tune acid stuff (due to it's unstable nature) controlled by the EA, and some weird drum filtering. Also, if randomness doesn't bother you, Sending in a breakbeat may give you the craziest acid you've ever heard...

I was going to grab a RV-5, but snagged a good deal on the Holy Grail instead, but miss the fact that it isn't stereo..

I WILL get myself a DD-6, but for now, my Danelectro delay does the job just fine

I will also get one of the pitch shifters and one of the OC's for f**k up drums and whatnot, I suspect an OC-3 -> PS-5 -> Bitrman -> DD-6 should make for some pretty f**k up drums...

AND, just cause I think the BOSS pedals look so nice, I'll probably pick up the Flanger, OD and some Distortion to make my effect-rig 100% boss pedals..

hn, I guess I'm a potential boss w***e ;)

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:45 pm

Some Boss pedals are really cool, but I think there much better options out there if you're going for distortion of any kind or modulation like flange/phase or chorus.

I like their pitchshifters and delays and as far the SYB's go, I'd have to A/B compare them with the Electroharmonix Bass Micro Synth. I love my EHX Bass Synth.

aeon

Re: let's talk about Boss compact pedals

Post by aeon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:18 pm

Tyler2000 wrote:Which Boss pedals have you had?
Boss DC-2 Dimension C
Boss VB-2 Vibrato
Boss PN-2 Tremelo/Pan
Tyler2000 wrote:Which ones do you still have?
Boss DC-2 Dimension C
Boss VB-2 Vibrato
Tyler2000 wrote:Which one is your fav.?
Boss DC-2 Dimension C
Tyler2000 wrote:Which one's would you like to try?
A Boss DC-3 Digital Dimension might be nice. :)
Tyler2000 wrote:Anybody got a really rare one?
The Boss VB-2 Vibrato, made from 1982 to 1986, is fairly rare. It is a MN3xxx-based true pitch modulation pedal. Works a treat in a chain designed to make an ebow sound ethereal.

cheers,
Ian

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:37 pm

i have a super chorus i bought from a pawn shop a long while back. i quite like it. it is still tickin' after i threw it at the ground a long time ago because it was acting funny...

had the ph-2 phaser. cool green. no tap tempo. sold it. very fun though

my favorite thing to do with it was make pacman noises with it by itself and run my old sr-16 through it. i sold it.

i had the dd-20 (big boss pedal) it was fun...cannot compare to other delays as it was my first...seemed alright. i liked that you could use it as an up to 23 second looper. sold it a long while back though. it was also fun at full feedback and tinkering with the time. it had some stupid a*s settings that made novelty noises...boo

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:11 pm

have had tons of boss pedals...only ones i think i've hung onto are a tuner, a noise suppressor, a compressor, an RC-50 and two of these badasses.

also never had a boss pitch shifter since i have two whammys, but a friend had one and i thought it was pretty cool how you could hold the pedal down and it basically did a glide to whatever pitch you'd selected.

edit: almost forgot, have a fuzz too, love that thing on bass...
Last edited by space6oy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:16 pm

Had DD-3
MT-2
the Flanger before the BF-2
CH-1
GE-7
FZ-5 (was broken wish i kept it made werid noises)
PS-5
TR-2

I now only have
The orange distortion
and Noise Suppresor

effects pedals not boss that i have

Line 6 Delay, EXH Hog, EXH metal muff, TC Electronics Reverb, Moogerfooger low pass filter, Three Modfx, a homemade (not by me) circuit bent pedal,

Fave Boss - DD-3

Pedal would like to try RE-20, RT-20, and old old boss pedals

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:05 pm

I had a few in the late 80s but I can't remember what they were called.

I had the delay, flanger and chorus pedals. I also had the half (third?) rack delay/(basic) sampler unit. Our guitarist had the dedicated Boss carrying box with the power supply pedal, phaser, distortion, delay, chorus and/or flanger.

They sounded very good and I had no idea they were still going strong.

Gilles
GC

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:40 pm

I've had a bunch of boss pedals over the years, I guess my faves would be - the dd6 dig delay for the reverse and hold settings, dm3 delay for guitar, ph3 phase shifter for several modes, and the od2 overdrive set on 11 oclock.
But I would have to say the one thats always in the chain is my trusty blinky chromatic tuner which is also a fav I guess!

I had a slow gear which is rare i guess but sold it eventually as I prefer a volume pedal for that kind of thing.

My least fav would be the Auto wah- utter poo...
sell me your KS5!