New Headphones...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

New Headphones...

Post by Johnny Lenin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:26 am

I just got a new pair of headphones -- Audio Technica ATH-M40fs -- and I am amazed by the difference. I had been using a pair of Sony MDR-V150s, which aren't bad for $20 DJ headphones, but I really had no idea what I had been missing. I'm sure there are better phones out there than the Audio Technica, but I'm impressed with what they are. I'm retiring the Sonys to be used along with a pair of cheese-o Nady phones for the band to use [if they want something better, they can buy it themselves].

Anyway... I just wanted to share. If you're using $20 DJ phones, run -- don't walk -- to your nearest music store and spend some money on real studio phones. The difference is amazing.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: New Headphones...

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:41 am

Johnny Lenin wrote:-- Audio Technica ATH-M40fs --
another happy user here :) I've been using that for a good long time and it's still a favorite. good pick.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: New Headphones...

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:30 am

crystalmsc wrote:
Johnny Lenin wrote:-- Audio Technica ATH-M40fs --
another happy user here :) I've been using that for a good long time and it's still a favorite. good pick.
how much do they run? My gf got me some sennheiser hd 280 pros... they are very "flat" and I like them, but have never used another pair of high end headphones so I can't compare...
Do you even post on vse bro?

supercluster

Post by supercluster » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:45 am

i've got one of the low level Grado head phones (sr60) and i think they are amazing. i can only imagine what those pre-amped mahogany headphones sound like...
http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/gs1000.htm
Doepfer A-100, MPC1000, Alesis Ion
Roland Re-20, Moog MF-105, Moog MF-102, boss me50-b

For sale: Yamaha RS7000, Korg Kontrol49

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:02 am

I just got a Sony MDR-7506 pair and I'm loving them. The more experience I got, the more I have figured out that I need a lot of different mixing perspectives. Also, headphones really allow you to "zone" in on the music/sound, while monitors give you the big picture.
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:26 am

Wow! Those Grados are way cool... but for $1000, they'd better be pretty Amazing. How are the sr60s?

Sir Ruff, the Audio Technica's go for $69.99. I seriously considered the HD 280s -- they came highly recommended -- but I just couldn't swing that extra $30 when I had to get a headphone amplifier for the studio and a bunch of other necessities at a time when I was a bit skint.

Sor far, I'm really pleased with the Audio Technicas.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:39 am

i_watch_stars wrote:I just got a Sony MDR-7506 pair and I'm loving them. The more experience I got, the more I have figured out that I need a lot of different mixing perspectives. Also, headphones really allow you to "zone" in on the music/sound, while monitors give you the big picture.
I use these too.

They aren't the most accurate but they're comfortable and they're closed back which is what I need for all the live mixing I do. And they're pretty cheap so if I break them I can just go buy a new pair. They're pretty tough though, I've had these for 2 years and they're still going strong even though they've had a lot of use.

supercluster

Post by supercluster » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:52 pm

Johnny Lenin wrote:Wow! Those Grados are way cool... but for $1000, they'd better be pretty Amazing. How are the sr60s?

Sir Ruff, the Audio Technica's go for $69.99. I seriously considered the HD 280s -- they came highly recommended -- but I just couldn't swing that extra $30 when I had to get a headphone amplifier for the studio and a bunch of other necessities at a time when I was a bit skint.

Sor far, I'm really pleased with the Audio Technicas.
i havent owned any higher end (more than 30$) headphones besides the sr60's, so i dont really have much to compare them to... butttttt, with that said i think they sound absolutely incredible for the price and i would recommend them to anyone on a budget but wants something a little nice. i love putting them on my friend's ears who use shitty headphones. everyone i know who has them or tries them out seems to agree that they are amazing.
Doepfer A-100, MPC1000, Alesis Ion
Roland Re-20, Moog MF-105, Moog MF-102, boss me50-b

For sale: Yamaha RS7000, Korg Kontrol49

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:25 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: They aren't the most accurate but they're comfortable and they're closed back which is what I need for all the live mixing I do. And they're pretty cheap so if I break them I can just go buy a new pair. They're pretty tough though, I've had these for 2 years and they're still going strong even though they've had a lot of use.
i also own the 7506. great pair, great sound, reasonable price. they don't dip quite as low as i'd like bass-wise, but since my M1s are a little bass-heavy, i get a nice picture by swapping between the two. i also agree that they're very comfortable. after a few minutes, ill forget i have them on. i enjoy strapping mine on and lying in bed with my mK, building a new patch before i snooze out for the night.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Yeah I remember going from some radioshack headphones to my Beyerdynamic dt770's.

I creamed myself.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:47 am

good on you!

I was using crappy headphones for years and finally bought a pair of AKG K271, made a world of difference, I could suddenly hear EVERYTHING
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:38 am

Joey wrote:Yeah I remember going from some radioshack headphones to my Beyerdynamic dt770's.

I creamed myself.
the Beyer's are amazing headphones and worth every penny. their sound aside, they're also possibly the most comfortable phones i've ever had on my head... almost like wearing some cozy earmuffs

i've had a pair of Sony's 7506's and MDRV500's.... they're both alright. very similiar to Sennheiser's HD280's. not very comfortable and they all seem to project the sound to the center of your head and are quick to fatigue.

for my next pair i'm spending the little extra, comfort and more accurate sound is worth it. the Beyer's are top on my list but i might wait to check out how AKG's redesigned K240S (semi-open) and K271S (closed) are before dropping the cash.

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:21 pm

_seph wrote:but i might wait to check out how AKG's redesigned K240S (semi-open) and K271S (closed) are before dropping the cash.
I've been using the older (apparently MkI then) K240 for a couple of years - they're really nice, but not really for casual listening.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:01 pm

i just picked up a new pair of HD280s off of Amazon for $70. my wife needs them for a media/tv/radio class she's taking, but after that, they're all mine. it'll be nice to add a different set of "ears" to my setup, and i've always wanted to A-B them with my MDR7506.

danialad
Gear: Alesis Ion
Casiotone 403
Band: gypsy(moths)

Post by danialad » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:07 pm

i've had the ATH-M40fs for about a year and a half. i love them very much. they can start to get uncomfortable after awhile, but... mine having been broken in for so long, i pretty much forget they are on. i will forever and always love closed-back headphones.

there's just a few problems i run into with these headphones. they are flat sounding! no low low end and no high high end. very ... centered. which is fine 90% of the time. but what happens is i'll mix my song thinking it's fine, but when i do listen to it on anything else, i realize there is wayy to much low end bass to my song. couldn't even tell on the headphones.

now i know... i'm probably just weird for thinking i can complete an entire song/mix on just headphones... but hey. i'm no pro... what i do... i do for fun.

to remedy (when i actually care), i use a pair of sennheiser hd485's to get a grasp of my low end when mixing.
[the gypsy moth project]

have: alesis ion, casiotone 403
had: akai ax-80, korg poly-800, roland juno-6, korg er-1,
alesis sr-16, yamaha tx802, korg dw/ex-8000, korg ms2000