Kinda need some tips on getting some good sound of a...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Cirrus Winery

Kinda need some tips on getting some good sound of a...

Post by Cirrus Winery » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:06 pm

Roland SH-1000.

I'm kindof a n00b when it comes to real synthesizers. I know how to work some of the classics like the arp 2600 and moog modular thanks to virtual emulations so i can get some good sounds out of THEM, but this thing i just can't get the hang of.

The sound is so incredibly boring no matter how much i attempt to play around with the knobs. Is there some way to make this thing sound atleast decent? I don't know anything about pedal effects etc seeing as i'm fairly new to non-virtual synths in general.

Got any tips? Anyone?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:20 pm

Firstly, the VST synths you have tried have more than 1 oscillator, and usually heaps of effects (at least the arturia ones). This is a basic 1VCO synth, so it takes some skill to get it to sound interesting. It's also Roland's first produced synth, so it's old and basic.

Read some articles online about subtractive synthesis if you don't know what filters and envelopes are supposed to do.
How to get good sound out of THAT particular synth, I can't say. 1VCO synths tend to sound pretty boring compared to synths with several, and usually external effects are used to make them more interesting on albums.

Here you can get the manual
http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sh1000.shtml
Last edited by Bitexion on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cirrus Winery

Post by Cirrus Winery » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:27 pm

Bitexion wrote:Firstly, the VST synths you have tried have more than 1 oscillator, and usually heaps of effects (at least the arturia ones). This is a basic 1VCO synth, so it takes some skill to get it to sound interesting. It's also Roland's first produced synth, so it's old and basic.
I figured it was basic ^^;
Bitexion wrote:Read some articles online about subtractive synthesis if you don't know what filters and envelopes are supposed to do.
Thanks, but i already know. I've built my own stuff in arturia MMV etc so i know how envelopes and filters etc. etc work.

I was thinking more of maybe some kind of pedal effects or something. I'm a real noob when it comes to actual hardware.
Bitexion wrote:How to get good sound out of THAT particular synth, I can't say. 1VCO synths tend to sound pretty boring compared to synths with several, and usually external effects are used to make them more interesting on albums.
Hmmm... I guess i'll just have to play around with it more, then. I'll see what i can do.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:31 pm

Delay and reverb always makes synths sound better. Get a multifx box like the TC Electronics M300. It's not expensive, and will give you a strong reverb selection + effects like delays too.

You could get simple guitar pedal effects too, but be wary that many require a preamp or DI box to bring them up to line level. Guitars operate in millivolts on their output, and that's the kind of signal guitar boxes expect to receive. But a synth works on line level with several volts output, so you'll just overdrive the effects unit immediately and get nothing but noise and clipping.
It's like forcing a synth up a lady's v****a so to speak.

Phaser and chorus pedals tend to have line level inputs though.
I've played synths through guitar delay pedals too without any problems. Best is to ask in the store.

Cirrus Winery

Post by Cirrus Winery » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:17 pm

Thanks.
Bitexion wrote:Delay and reverb always makes synths sound better. Get a multifx box like the TC Electronics M300. It's not expensive, and will give you a strong reverb selection + effects like delays too.
I just found a used M300 for 80 euro :D

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi Cirrus

I'm going to move this over to the 'Sound Production' forum. That deals with effects and recording.

Cheers

lemmonn

Post by lemmonn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:22 pm

Bitexion wrote: It's like forcing a synth up a lady's v****a so to speak.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This sounds like the most efficient way to bring the sexy back.
Sorry, if that joke seems old but J-tim's been filming a movie in my area so it seems more relevant.
microKORG,69' Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennesean Gentleman,Danelectro Hodad,Fender Strat,Ibanez Artwood,Johnson Resonator,BC Rich Warlock,Epiphone Mandolin random japanese accordion...