Something i just thought of

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Cirrus Winery

Something i just thought of

Post by Cirrus Winery » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:29 pm

(but have no reasonable way to test it out, seeing that i don't have a modular yet)

Maybe this idea is just plain old news, i dunno.

Two oscillators in as perfect sync as possible. They generate different waveforms (sine and square, for example)

A third oscillator (at NEARLY the same frequency as the above two oscillators but intentionally a bit off) controls a "switch" of some kind that keeps "flipping" between the two outputs of the two other oscillators.

How exactly would this sound? Has it been tested?

I imagine it to be some kind of morphing effect, but maybe that's not what would actually happen in reality.

Edit: Damn wrong board >_<

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:30 am

I tried this just now with my Moog Voyager by modulating only Osc2's waveshape with a square wave LFO. The first sound has the LFO slow enough to hear the switch change between SAW and SQUARE. Then I tuned the LFO to about an octave below C1, slightly detuned. Unfortunately, I can't modulate only Osc2's waveshape with Osc3, because Waveshape mod is global to all three.

http://rogerroger.panicnow.net/host/aud ... veform.mp3

To do it properly on a modular without waveshaping, you need two osc's:
* One with multi-wave outputs, since this is the only way to achieve perfect sync
* The other just detuned slightly from the first's pitch and is a square wave

Then you need two VCA's, or a stereo panner module with a seperate CV for the gain of each channel. The second osc(square) splits, one side goes through a inverter, and each signal modulates one of the the VCA's gain. The VCA output is mixed back to one channel. A crossfade effect would naturally be achieved by using a different waveshape for the modulating osc.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Cirrus Winery

Post by Cirrus Winery » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:55 pm

Solderman wrote:I tried this just now with my Moog Voyager by modulating only Osc2's waveshape with a square wave LFO. The first sound has the LFO slow enough to hear the switch change between SAW and SQUARE. Then I tuned the LFO to about an octave below C1, slightly detuned. Unfortunately, I can't modulate only Osc2's waveshape with Osc3, because Waveshape mod is global to all three.

http://rogerroger.panicnow.net/host/aud ... veform.mp3

To do it properly on a modular without waveshaping, you need two osc's:
* One with multi-wave outputs, since this is the only way to achieve perfect sync
* The other just detuned slightly from the first's pitch and is a square wave

Then you need two VCA's, or a stereo panner module with a seperate CV for the gain of each channel. The second osc(square) splits, one side goes through a inverter, and each signal modulates one of the the VCA's gain. The VCA output is mixed back to one channel. A crossfade effect would naturally be achieved by using a different waveshape for the modulating osc.
Interesting effect. I'll try it myself now (just got my other computer back up and running again) and upload the result.

insky

Post by insky » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:21 am

Well my MaxiKorg can actually do this so I tried it out. Unfortunatley it sounds mostly like a saw and a square wave together with just a little bit of pulsing...nothing too exciting...until you mix them to different stereo channels. Then it starts pulsating with a bit more square on one side then more saw on the other. Unfortunatley I'm only confined to one note because the oscillator that switches between square and saw is just at a high enough frequency that's audible.
Stuff I own:
X Station
ESQ-1
JX-8P
Poly 800
MaxiKorg 800DV
Elka Rhapsody 610

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:15 pm

I feel like that could be achieved using a slow moving LFO...maybe im misunderstanding the suggestion, but thats how i read it.

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:02 am

no lfo, but you can also just do this with 2 signals being put into mixers stereo input and use the panning as a "morph" knob.

dj mixers offer even more oppurtunitys as you can you can use kill switches to transfer to another input or use it preview patches that are receiving the same sequencer info (so itll be on the same time) and then when its fine tuned and ready you just drop it on in.

fun stuff.
blunted daydreaming

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:18 am

How about a vector synth like the Prophet VS, Wavestation or TG33?