mixing/recoding with earphones?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

mixing/recoding with earphones?

Post by novielo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:30 pm

hi all,
i'm mixing and recording with earbuds, not a cheap set but rather good philips one (no noise canceling).
i'm doing so because it would just be impossible to have powered monitor at night, with both kids sleeping and my ear problems (what!!??)
i started with a wireless headphone set but after 3-4 mounths i put them on the side after i tried these earbuds they seems to be realy more accurate and less noisy then the wireless technology (dah!! i know) by far.

am i the only one doing that? do i realy loose (fidelity, quality, detail) alot of the sound by doing so. obviously at louder volume the monitor will make you "feel" more the sound with the much greater wave it generates compare to the tiny thing in the ears that only let you listen to the sound...
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:14 pm

I've tried the headphone only route, but there are two big problems
1. Stereo - you have no idea what the stereo sound of the track actually is, since you have total seperation of the left and right channels
2. Bass response - I don't have expensive headphones, but the bass response on them is completely unrepresentative of how most stereos sound, and this has made for some really awful headphone-only mixes on my part.

I tend to mix on both, and try to get the best balance in quality between stereo speakers and headphones, and I only turn up the volume on the speakers when I'm finishing the mix with buss compression.
virb.com/ookpikk

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:26 pm

I've got senneheiser and audio technica headphones
the senneheiser are much more "precise" and have a very good bass response (deep, deep sub-bass)

the audio technica ones are missing a little bit of the high-end

I'd def. check out sennheiser :)

they're also very comfortable and I can wear them for hours without them hurting me (like a lot of headphones)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

novielo
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff

Post by novielo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:34 pm

hageir wrote:I've got senneheiser and audio technica headphones
the senneheiser are much more "precise" and have a very good bass response (deep, deep sub-bass)

they're also very comfortable and I can wear them for hours without them hurting me (like a lot of headphones)
the senneheiser are these the wireless one?
i had a hard time "tuning them" they always seems to be just out of tune
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:41 pm

novielo wrote:
hageir wrote:I've got senneheiser and audio technica headphones

the senneheiser are these the wireless one?
i had a hard time "tuning them" they always seems to be just out of tune
no, they just have a regular TRS 1/4" jack (also come with an adapter to 1/8")

anyways, I don't think wireless headphones should be "trusted" :)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:50 am

Yeah, I wouldn't be using wireless headphones at all for monitoring.

You can mix on headphones, but I wouldn't want to be releasing anything that had only been mixed on headphones. Sure it's been done before, but you gain a lot from hearing your mix on a lot of different playback systems. Try and listen to it on headphones, monitors, both good and bad stereos and in the car. When it sounds good on everything your mix is done.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Like you, I do 95% of my recording at night after the wife and kiddies go to bed. So using the speakers is a no-no. That said, I wait until I can actually monitor through speakers to mix. Headphones will fool you as to what you can actually hear outloud.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

novielo

Post by novielo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:28 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't be using wireless headphones at all for monitoring.

specialy when after an hour that you mix and your like... god that sounds so bad, let me change this and that and oh this to... but after that time you find out that the batteries where dying. that's exacly when i stopped using them.

You can mix on headphones, but I wouldn't want to be releasing anything that had only been mixed on headphones. Sure it's been done before, but you gain a lot from hearing your mix on a lot of different playback systems. Try and listen to it on headphones, monitors, both good and bad stereos and in the car. When it sounds good on everything your mix is done.

very good trick that everybody should do as for hear as also that it let you "change your mind" and have "new ears" [/i]

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:11 pm

Although I am far from any professional, I will almost always mix using headphones because of external influences that may distract me and the sound. However, I will never do a final master/EQ with headphones. I used to master using headphones and I found that the mix was always too bassy. After I got a good set of monitors, the mastering side would be balanced and crisp on multiple systems that I've tried. When I take the monitor mix and play it back through the headphones, it sounds great too!

There was a huge difference in the sound by mastering using monitors.

-Pilot
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:35 am

Mixing through headphones is a bad idea, due to many of the reasons listed here. I didn't think so either, until I started producing with monitors and saw the difference in my mixes.

When you monitor, it shouldn't be at high levels either, so perhaps it won't necessarily wake everyone up? You've got to find time to mix through monitors if you care about your mixes...
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:56 pm

i_watch_stars wrote:Mixing through headphones is a bad idea, due to many of the reasons listed here. I didn't think so either, until I started producing with monitors and saw the difference in my mixes....
I would say mixing exclusively through headphones is not good...but as another source I think it is fine...especially to listen to pans and stuff.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:17 am

JSRockit wrote:I would say mixing exclusively through headphones is not good...but as another source I think it is fine...especially to listen to pans and stuff.
For sure, listening on as many different playback systems as you can is a wise thing to do.

ballophun

Post by ballophun » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:41 am

I pretty much do all my mixing on a pair of Sennheiser HD-25's.
I'm just waiting for this to come out.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=6334

I imagine it will cost about a billion dollars. But I guess people spend shitloads on good monitors.
Ruger .454 Super Redhawk, SIGarms P226 X-Five, Henry Golden Boy .22, Winchester M70 Super Shadow, MAC-10, M60 machine gun, Boker Beil Throwing Axe