Cassette 4-tracks?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Cassette 4-tracks?

Post by JSRockit » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:48 pm

I've been thinking of buying a cassette 4-track. I haven't used one in over 10 years, and when I did...I was completely clueless. I was thinking of the Tascam 424. I don't want more than 4 tracks, but EQ would ok. Anything better than the 424 without becoming way too big?

I wouldn't be recording songs on this by the way, this will be used for more lo-fi effects on specific parts of my songs... and reverse tape stuff and all the fun that comes with cassettes.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:08 pm

The 424 is a great machine. Back in the early 90's when I worked for a local pro music store, that was my top seller.

I, personally, had an older model (246) before upgrading to the 238 8 track Syncassette. The 246 has sweepable hi & low EQ's as opposed to the 424's fixed freq. hi & lows, but the 424 has a sweepable mid.

Have fun!

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:48 pm

i loved my 414, it was a thing of beauty.

i think you would have more fun with tape you can touch though...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:49 pm

tallowwaters wrote:i loved my 414, it was a thing of beauty.

i think you would have more fun with tape you can touch though...
Thanks guys. I read somewhere that the 424 is / was Tascams highest seller over the years.

I'm not ready for reel to reel stuff TW, that's serious business. I'm looking for more lo-fidelity and simplicity. I'm a cassette fan.

Esus

Post by Esus » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:53 pm

What about this?

Get a Zoom H4 (4-tracks, wav & mp3 capability). Street price is as low as $125USD.
The latest EQ Magazine had an article about running digital tracks through a cassette deck ("reamping", so to speak) so you get all those great analog artifacts. You need a 3-head model, and you could probably pick one up at a pawnshop or garage sale for about $50. The best of both worlds!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:53 pm

Esus wrote:What about this?

Get a Zoom H4 (4-tracks, wav & mp3 capability). Street price is as low as $125USD.
The latest EQ Magazine had an article about running digital tracks through a cassette deck ("reamping", so to speak) so you get all those great analog artifacts. You need a 3-head model, and you could probably pick one up at a pawnshop or garage sale for about $50. The best of both worlds!
Not interested in a digital 4 track... I have a computer and logic. I'm interested in tape as an effect. However, I have though about a standard stereo tape deck, but I have a few ideas for multitracking with tape.

mono/noise

Post by mono/noise » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:20 pm

I have a Tascam Porta 07 four track, it's nice to bounce stuff back and forth for that cassette effect, it's also fun just to sit down and record some random synth sounds into it and then rearrange it all in Ableton.

I have been using some tricks for extreme lo-fi sounds, like taking the tape out, curling it in your hands and putting it back in.
Re-taping over worn out cassettes where the old recording bleeds trough can also give good result.

But it's broken at the moment and I'm not sure if it's worth having it fixed since it will cost more than I paid for it.
www.myspace.com/mnoise

Gadgets: Pulse+_Opera 6_Jen SX1000_microKorg
Xbase 09_SK-5_CZ-3000_ESQ-1_Electone A-55_Theremin
Cracklebox_Thingamagoop_Game Boy( LSDJ )_KP3_MPD24
Tascam Porta 07_Multimix 12_Logic Studio_Live 6

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:30 pm

I have a Tascam 644 midistudio in MINT condition I will be selling in a week or so. I'm the original owner and it's really been in storage for quite a few years.
This thing looks like it just came out of the box.
I'm switching back to analog recording so I just bought a Tascam 688 midistudio off ebay.
Let me know if you'd be interested, since it's in mint condition I haven't researched a price yet.
I have great feedback on ebay.

So far this is the only info I've been able to find on the internet to link you to.
http://www.roland-vintage-audio.com/644.htm
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:11 am

john, have a look at this
http://www.f7sound.com/tapebreak.htm
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:47 am

mono/noise wrote:
Re-taping over worn out cassettes where the old recording bleeds trough can also give good result.
That's one of my favorites...

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:52 am

seamonkey wrote:I have a Tascam 644 midistudio in MINT condition I will be selling in a week or so. I'm the original owner and it's really been in storage for quite a few years.
That's a little too over the top for my needs. I'm gonna go for the Tascam 424 or a smaller Tascam model.

TW, that's a cool site. Thank you.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:14 pm

Esus wrote:What about this?

My black, battery-operated, ZOOM MRS-4B is an excellent near-done-demo digi 4-track device; it's ease of operation, sound quality, and computer connectivity (via SmartCard reader) are all top shelf.

:)

(btw: sorry to digress, JSRockit, but I just love to revel in my rig!)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:46 pm

ronP wrote: My black, battery-operated, ZOOM MRS-4B is an excellent near-done-demo digi 4-track device; it's ease of operation, sound quality, and computer connectivity (via SmartCard reader) are all top shelf.

:)

(btw: sorry to digress, JSRockit, but I just love to revel in my rig!)

Hey, keep that digital nonsense out of here!

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:16 pm

JSRockit wrote:
seamonkey wrote:I have a Tascam 644 midistudio in MINT condition I will be selling in a week or so. I'm the original owner and it's really been in storage for quite a few years.
That's a little too over the top for my needs. I'm gonna go for the Tascam 424 or a smaller Tascam model.

TW, that's a cool site. Thank you.
Yeah it's quite a monster and the 688 is even bigger(it comes with a meter bridge as well).
I'm going to go low tech and use my Alesis Midiverb II and Image Digital Delay IDL-1000 for my effects.
Anyway that looks like a nice Tascam you picked out and I think your idea of how to use it sounds quite creative and full of artistic madness potential.lol
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

ramos

Post by ramos » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:10 am

I've heard from a reliable source that 2 tracks have more headroom, and therefore sound better.