leslie/rotary speakers, who uses them on synths? etc...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

leslie/rotary speakers, who uses them on synths? etc...

Post by diezdiazgiant » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:19 am

sorry if this belongs in off topic...

so at the end of the hour i may be a proud owner of a leslie that was gutted out of a movie theatre organ. i've never owned a leslie and as it has no model name since it was a custom cabinet gutted from an organ google is doing little to answer my questions, all i know is that its made by allen organ company.

will i need some kind preamp?
i think most of my other questions can be answered by the seller, but for those who use them here what are your thoughts on leslies?
blunted daydreaming

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:20 am

I have two leslies. A "real" Leslie, 760 that stay in my home studio, in use with my Hammond M100. Sounds perhaps not as "hot" and tubey like a 122 or 145-147 Leslie, but it's the perfect amp for any spinet or console organ.

The other i have is a clone from Motion Sound. Much smaller and lighter, and i'm using it for gigs with my band. I'm runing the organ sound (without simulation) of my Clavia Nord Stage. You don't have the bass end that comes from the 15'' speakers in the 760 Leslie, so forget left hand bass...But it's allways miles away better than the simulation in the Clavia, to flat and without this magical doppler effect.

Rhodes sound in a Leslie is also something very special. A kind of spatial chorus (in chorale mode) that fills up the room...
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

diezdiazgiant

Post by diezdiazgiant » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:56 am

well i won the auction.
i think i got a h**l of a deal, it only cost 51 dollars though its appearing im going to want to customize it to take quarter inch inputs, and maybe some kind of mixer fucntion as it also has 4 8 inch speakers on the face of the cabinet. and though it has 2 speeds it doesnt have a guitar pedal input for controlling it.

i have a feeling once i get it going the way i want it im just going to put overloaded synth string patches thru it for weeks :D
blunted daydreaming

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:32 pm

What you just bought is not a Leslie speaker it's a Gyrophonic. Does it look like this?

Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

diezdiazgiant

Post by diezdiazgiant » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:51 pm

Clavier wrote:What you just bought is not a Leslie speaker it's a Gyrophonic. Does it look like this?

nope, mine doesnt havent a nice grill like that.
and it might not be a proper leslie amp but i know its got a big rotary speaker at the base. the seller did also have a gyrophonic for sale which if i had the money i would have bought since it looked interesting but as the sound was desribed as an imitation of a leslie i figured i should just buy the one.

i havent gotten it yet in the mail so for pictures the only 2 i have are the ones from the ebay listing
blunted daydreaming

atkbg

Post by atkbg » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:40 pm

Personally, I think the magic for non-organ sounds (and organ, too) is when you switch from stop to chorale. It take a static sound and then the whole thing just starts moving.
Most things through a Leslie on fast sound like an organ.

If you have 7xx or 9xx (theres others too), you can easily get the stop. chorale and tremlo (stop, slow,fast). A little harder on a 122/147(251,etc,etc).

2x for a Rhodes through a Leslie on chorale, though.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:48 am

atkbg wrote:Personally, I think the magic for non-organ sounds (and organ, too) is when you switch from stop to chorale. It take a static sound and then the whole thing just starts moving.
Most things through a Leslie on fast sound like an organ.
Yes...that's right ! It's also the thing that i prefer on my 2 Leslies. Passing from stop to chorale.

And sometimes from tremolo to chorale.

When you say that most things through a Leslie sounds like an organ...

http://www.mousepadrecords.ch/music/Lem ... %20442.mp3

It's not a Hammond organ...but it's not a clone (XK, VK, CX...), it's only a Yamaha DX-7, through a Leslie 760 ! It's not exactly a Hammond sound, but it sounds more than acceptable.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

atkbg

Post by atkbg » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:36 pm

The 760 is a good Leslie. It usually gets a bad rap, not being tube.
Mine ended up falling apart, though. A fair amount of time on the road and the bottom got wet and the particale board seperated.

btw: Where's the freaky cat? :)

bionary

Post by bionary » Mon May 05, 2008 2:29 am

Does anyone know about Leslie Speakers models 103 and 205? Will I be able to use these with my synths. They are part of an organ package at a thrift store and I was curious if I could use these with other keyboards as well.